Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

David Lynch has released a new double A-side single:

RPmTRKB5Bdg

soClkzqJSZs

"Less than 3% of the artists in the Met. Museum are women, but 83% of the nudes are female."

Oh statistics being used stupidly and without any effort going into understanding where they come from and WHY they are what they are.

I agree with ThunderPeel on this one, seems pretty ludicrous to claim sexism in today's art culture if you're basing it on two unrelated statistics. By the way, are there not museums specifically for female artists and/or feminist art specifically? I always thought they did exist.

DtZR3lJobjw

Man. Ever time I turn on Tom Lehrer, I wonder if there's anything he can't turn into cynical comedy.

Apparently not.

Love some Tom Lehrer.

Nice coincidence, I just went to a performance of this piece by the MSO in Melbourne about a month and a half ago! I didn't know it beforehand and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

How is it, working on a set with so many musicians ?

I didn't realize until Stuart Braithwaite of Mogwai posted about it on Twitter, but Third Eye Foundation is back from the dead with a new album, The Dark. This is excellent news. Pareidolia is a particular favourite, as is Closure:

TiITP-zP-98

Man. Ever time I turn on Tom Lehrer, I wonder if there's anything he can't turn into cynical comedy.

Apparently not.

Love some Tom Lehrer.

oRLON3ddZIw

One of my favorites, second only to

One of my favorites, second only to The Vatican Rag.

My favorite is definitely a toss-up between The Masochism Tango, Oedipus Rex and Math (or whatever it's called).

I have officially woken up waaaaaay too early for the DCUO launch, so here's a part of my line-up. This comes with triple-bag tea, so I may be a little twitchy today.

7suFAr7WSj0

7GPuJZa_OJE

(Though I imagine most of you have heard some version of Ghosts 'N' Stuff before.)

Yey, new Amplifier stuff! Seems like they made the entire album available for preview. It's been a long time since I have last listened to Amplifier (or Riverside).

I follow album releases much less than I do upcoming games. I guess the second the Avalanches album might finally be released this year. There is a possibility of new Queens of the Stone Age and/or Them Crooked Vultures releases as well.

There is a possibility of new Queens of the Stone Age .

This thrills me to the bone.

Does thrill permeate specific areas of flesh and muscle? And does it start from the outside, such that it can work its way from the skin to the bone?

My left arm is thrilled!

Does thrill permeate specific areas of flesh and muscle? And does it start from the outside, such that it can work its way from the skin to the bone?

My left arm is thrilled!

Yes! No! Pants!

Man, I just like the twist of phrase and you have to go and make logic at it.

(But yes, it does start from without, and it can permeate specific areas. In the most dramatic cases your entire body becomes thrilled.)

Does anyone like Plaid? Can you give me a guide of what to listen to to get into them or maybe rank releases best to worst?

The Tekkon Kinkreet soundtrack is my main exposure, which is brilliant:

V5r-pBd8fTE

The only other thing I know of is a Alison Goldfrapp collaboration long ago that was pretty bad. They also remixed the first Goldfrapp very first single which was also pretty bad.

Nice coincidence, I just went to a performance of this piece by the MSO in Melbourne about a month and a half ago! I didn't know it beforehand and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

How is it, working on a set with so many musicians ?

Well, most were from the same school I'm going to, so they were all at least familiar to me. The fun thing is that we started working and finished way before they came, so there really wasn't so much time for communicating until the concert started. And even then my duty was to be backstage and coordinate the quires. Still, it was fun to do(the actual building reminded me of Fallout. It's basicly a bunker with thick metal submarine doors and walls).

So I just had a 15 minute conversation about how everyone is wrong about Blizzard's composers being astounding. Probably a gigantic waste of my time and remaining bone mass before arthritis, but please someone tell me I'm not wrong when I say this:

LdZyKLi55V0

Blows this (the track below) out of the water and then fills it with arrows just for fun.

UfeZQXZcKX8

So I just had a 15 minute conversation about how everyone is wrong about Blizzard's composers being astounding. Probably a gigantic waste of my time and remaining bone mass before arthritis, but please someone tell me I'm not wrong when I say this.

Are you kidding me?

I'll just leave this here.

UXhx40DcU6Y

Plus,

My favourite WOTLK track was this. It just perfectly captured the atmosphere of the place:

mpyInx0ldfo

More music now. In my search for more electroswing I discovered Crystal Castles. They're a weird downbeat electro band with chip tune influences. This track made me laugh when I first heard it but now I'm addicted to their 2008 album.

YaDBpViGWWI

Edited by DanJW

More music now. In my search for more electroswing I discovered Crystal Castles. They're a weird downbeat electro band with chip tune influences. This track made me laugh when I first heard it but now I'm addicted to their 2010 album.

YaDBpViGWWI

YES. YESYESYESYESYES. I APPROVE WITH ALL SPEED although if I was looking to introduce somebody to Crystal Castles, I don't think I'd link them Air War, it's a bit too weird, and not terribly accessible. I'd either go with this:

CqSIpaQHiLY

Or this:

T2gdbQpESNY

But overall, one of my favorite bands. Whoo! Fanboy!

They're comin' outta the goddamn walls!

attachment.php?attachmentid=640&stc=1&d=1295610814

Note on Crystal Castles: I love their music.

They've lifted some tunes wholesale from the chiptunes community before; some early songs were quickly renamed on their myspace then later removed after damning comparisons were posted. They also had to settle with an artist over artwork they lifted from him, and took several years to do so. They are described by Kieron Gillen thus:

as self-centred as a gyroscope with a line of coke around it, which it’s not sharing with anyone.

I don't let any of that stop me from listening to them, but it definitely takes the edge of any enthusiasm.

post-461-13375603328792_thumb.jpg