Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Since we're all basking in the glory of the Vaselines, here are songs off albums the members did afterwards. They're all really good. Just, you know, different to the Vaselines. I don't know why they're not as popular. Lack of Kurt Cobain's endorsement, probably.

For now, here's some Suckle:

l5ZkLdFM_7Q

G0MMAhAvw84

I'm big into these "Epic metal" bands, I wish I could think of a better genre description, but hey.

Stuff like Dream Theater and Symphony X, where its kind of prog rock, but with these big neoclassical style sounding long ass tracks. If anyone can suggest some bands similar to DT, X-Japan and such, I'd appreciate it.

I'm big into these "Epic metal" bands, I wish I could think of a better genre description, but hey.

Stuff like Dream Theater and Symphony X, where its kind of prog rock, but with these big neoclassical style sounding long ass tracks. If anyone can suggest some bands similar to DT, X-Japan and such, I'd appreciate it.

[cough]Prog metal[/cough]

Anything by Billy Reid, it's a shame that he focuses mostly on his comedy stuff. While it is undeniably hilarious I wish he did more songs. I particularly love 'What We've Got', so catchy.

's his YouTube serious song playlist.

If you're in the mood for funnies go watch Guatemalean Sinkhole, I'm Typing LOL and Lip Syncing To The Song and Mall Santa Claus.

Or my personal favorite Hot Girls Plunging.

0Wv7hYHErrs

Edited by Thompson

Been listening to a lot of hard rock recently:

Clutch

2eepsCXpLY4

The Sword

E39p-0l11Kc

Ohshit, is September the best month in music ever? New Eric Clapton album, "Clapton", new Santana album, "Guitar Heaven" (covers of amazing rock songs), and the new Soundgarden compilation "Telephantasm" with one new song. I don't think I've ever bought 3 albums released so close together like that.

Not a fan of the single from Guitar Heaven though (While My Guitar Gently Weeps). I mean it's OK but nothing like the original, the solo is great but the backing track and even vocals are not my favorite.

5DeOSLNbhfg

Yes, that was quite a shock to wake up in the morning and read that first in the news.

My wife is pretty depressed about this, she met Portnoy and Dream Theater many times at her former job in a music store in Shinjuku. Even went to their gigs many times, once on backstage as VIP guest. She really likes Dream Theater's music and said during the morning that DT is over now, they shouldn't use the name anymore as Portnoy's dad named the band and Portnoy is the founding member.

Such is life, but propably in years to come there will be some oh surprise, surprise reunion tour.

Lets see if he now joins Avenged Sevenfold, couldn't care less for their music.

This song makes me think The Vaselines hooked up a few times during their recording sessions. It's also pretty funny. I love The Vaselines.

wh4JuFZttts

And here's a popular local band. People like 'em.

qOwqY0hTrl0

Yes, that was quite a shock to wake up in the morning and read that first in the news.

My wife is pretty depressed about this, she met Portnoy and Dream Theater many times at her former job in a music store in Shinjuku. Even went to their gigs many times, once on backstage as VIP guest. She really likes Dream Theater's music and said during the morning that DT is over now, they shouldn't use the name anymore as Portnoy's dad named the band and Portnoy is the founding member.

Such is life, but propably in years to come there will be some oh surprise, surprise reunion tour.

Lets see if he now joins Avenged Sevenfold, couldn't care less for their music.

Both Anthrax and Maiden have done it. But Portnoy is so integrated into DT that I cannot imagine them without him, in the same way I couldn't see Maiden without Steve Harris or Anthrax without Scott Ian and Charlie Benante. The last DT album wasn't good, I can see exactly where Portnoy is coming from, the band themselves are going too fast to keep pumping out great material. I cannot see DT continuing to bring great live shows also, from what I understood Portnoy brought in all of the cool supports (Scale the Summit, Between the Buried and Me, BigElf, etc).

Anybody fans of Red Hot Chilli Peppers? I'm listening to The Zephyr Song right now, some really awesome yet nice music right there.

Also a big American band, although it seems like a lot of their fanbase may be British, like me!

Gotta comment on Clutch being in the thread. One of my favorite bands. My brother flies back to the East Coast every Christmas so we can go see the Clutch Christmas/New Years show. We were at the show that was filmed for the Live at the 9:30 Club CD and DVD. Anytime anyone wants to come to see their home town shows (their best), I'd be glad to put you up.

Patters, I've been listening to Warp Riders non stop since it came out, great album.

I've also been listening to some Murder By Death, a dark rock folk band:

4802K4n8k6I

I've been obsessively listening to Phantogram for the last couple of days.

Previously it had been all about Machinehead and listening to Ministry's back catalogue but there is something about Phantogram's 'Mouthful of Diamonds' it kind of reminds me of Portishead mixed with The Kills.

Check 'em out if you like either of those bands.

So I've decided to get a bit more serious about my love for music again, by which I'm planning to put together semi-regular mixes and music collections.

After a fortuitous bout of insomnia yesterday, I've compiled my first mix in about a decade. I'm learning how to use ACID Pro at the same time, so it's a bit scruffy in places. It's not ambitious either, but I liked the way the tracks all fitted together as a whole.

It's a Progressive/Tech House mix, and you can download it or listen online (via the most excellent SoundCloud).

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Loves me some big band rock jazz, or whatever the hell Brian Setzer does. I've never really been able to classify his stuff.

That said. Loves me some jazz.

UotswwnEOE8