Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

I would have willingly sacrificed almost any of you to see them

I resent that, since I think Soundgarden is lame.

I would have willingly sacrificed almost any of you to see them (hopefully I'll get a chance sometime this year).

<3

They'll be at Lollapalooza in Chicago in August.

I resent that, since I think Soundgarden is lame.
Well I'll let you off the hook since they definitely aren't for everybody. Still, Chris Cornell has the greatest voice of all time, basically.
They'll be at Lollapalooza in Chicago in August.
Yeah, I saw that but am not going to go because I don't care for most of the other bands performing, they are only performing the last day also.

Well I'll let you off the hook since they definitely aren't for everybody. Still, Chris Cornell has the greatest voice of all time, basically.

I think Soundgarden are OK. I haven't actually listened to an album back-to-back. Hell, it's been a while since I've listened to music. But this guy should give your claim about Cornell's a voice some competition:

Rs3mj1E8LSU

iuNciPZlw8M

Still, Chris Cornell has the greatest voice of all time, basically.

Biting...tongue...so...hard... :(:grin:

I would counter with Roy Orbison.

To each his own and such...but I have to admit I feel that "Black Hole Sun" has one of the worst guitar solos of all time.

Jonathan Coulton is a great musician, you've all probably heard RE: Your Brains and while that's a fun song my favorite one is probably I Hate California.

BnmbQg0q-Sg

Awesome! New Ufomammut, UNKLE, The National and The Dead Weather albums were released this week. :tup: Haven't actually bought any of them yet, but at least UNKLE's Where Did The Night Fall sounds really nice (luisterpaal link).

Edited by Nappi

...Man, I was thinking of posting something, but all this rock is completely opposed to the sea of electronica I swim in. So maybe I'll just hold off.

I believe there are numerous electronica-inclined Thumbs. Post away!

Yes, while I don't like a huge amount of electronic bands/musicians/people compared to people really into the genre, half of my CD collection is filled with near full discographies of my favorite electronic artists.

Those guy(s) did a good remix off the latest Cure album, which was the least awful thing to come out of those whole sessions. I think I hate The Cure now.

I believe there are numerous electronica-inclined Thumbs. Post away!
YESSSSSSS

Awright. If you're into electronica or dance music, you've probably heard the biggies in the genre; The Prodigy, Orbital, Phillip Glass (ugh). Or, perhaps the more obscure, like Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada. So I'm going to try to shine a bit of light on the lesser-known artists out there.

I'll start with New Villager. A electronic duo, they entered the music scene only recently, and have only released a single. However, their premiere song, Rich Doors, is unlike anything I've ever heard. I'm not even sure what genre it is. All I know is that it's one of the most well-composed and well-produced songs I've ever heard. Their other song, Genghis on, is a bit more conventional.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO4kllpegGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO4kllpegGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Next up is the Hip-Hop Mux Mool. Low budget, and lo-fi, his subwoofer-pounding songs have a homespun flavor all their own.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=979UKvC8BWY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=979UKvC8BWY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Finally, there's Working For A Nuclear Free City (yes, that's their name). Their music, especially their synth work, sounds like it's been run through degrading equipment while recording to a malfunctioning 8-track. It's a unique sound. Plus, they did some of the soundtrack to Infamous, making them even more topical!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY7_hUKW5pc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY7_hUKW5pc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Amon Tobin also contributed to the soundtrack, and I'd recommend him too, but this post is too long already.

It's worrying how much I sound like a pretentious music critic when I'm talking about music.

YESSSSSSS

Awright. If you're into electronica or dance music, you've probably heard the biggies in the genre; The Prodigy, Orbital, Phillip Glass (ugh). Or, perhaps the more obscure, like Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada. So I'm going to try to shine a bit of light on the lesser-known artists out there.

Amon Tobin also contributed to the soundtrack, and I'd recommend him too, but this post is too long already.

Since you mention the prodigy, I would like to point out how fucking good they are live.

Also as you mention Amon Tobin, I'm a big fan, I'd love to see him live. From a while back:

I just found out that Amon Tobin has a Giant amount of free mixes on his site (800 ish mb). What I have listened to thus far is ace especially the Slayer mix and the live from Brussels Foley room.

http://www.amontobin.com/storeNew/ca...m_type=freebie

Since you mention the prodigy, I would like to point out how fucking good they are live.

Also as you mention Amon Tobin, I'm a big fan, I'd love to see him live. From a while back:

(Formatting breaks)

It's frustrating, because all the artists I actually like either tour in the UK, or in places that aren't remotely close to where I live.

That New Villager song was neat, I will have to check them out, but truthfully I wasn't all that into the Infamous soundtrack.

This is probably new to no one, but it came on in my car today and felt good:

swFgTeyqpmc

Also JamesM mentioned Third Eye Foundation way earlier in the thread, which I will always remember him for lovingly.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

It's frustrating, because all the artists I actually like either tour in the UK, or in places that aren't remotely close to where I live.

Yeah, I'm lucky enough to have seen almost every band I want to, some exceptions are:

Iron Maiden, Public Enemy, Amon Tobin (as previously mentioned, and a ton of smaller bands from other countries (USA, Japan, etc).

But Public Enemy played Manchester more than a few times... I think. I know this because I at least have one DVD where their show was recorded there.

Maybe they've only played there once ever for that DVD.

But Public Enemy played Manchester more than a few times... I think. I know this because I at least have one DVD where their show was recorded there.

Maybe they've only played there once ever for that DVD.

Maybe so, but I'm only here for uni, and that's only been for 2 years. The last time they were in the UK was 2008, I missed it due to not knowing about it.

New Villager remind me a bit of MGMT and Neon Neon. :tup:

Huge fan of electronic music myself, particularly Progressive. I share some of my favourite stuff via my Blip.fm station if you're interested.

I just got a lot more excited about 2000trees now I've listened to this band.

Weird story: one time something was being delivered to me by UPS or DHL or someone along those lines, and the delivery man saw I was wearing a Rock Action Records T-shirt, and asked if I was familiar with 65daysofstatic. I said I was, but not very much. This is still accurate. An old Internet friend who I had a brief catch-up with claimed his band supported them live at some point.

Or, perhaps the more obscure, like Aphex Twin and Boards of Canada. So I'm going to try to shine a bit of light on the lesser-known artists out there.

Recently it's been Venetian Snares and μ-ziq for me, with a bit of ex-BoC man christ..

Also JamesM mentioned Third Eye Foundation way earlier in the thread, which I will always remember him for lovingly.

I actually found myself going over some old posts in this thread the other day, and was reminded of our exchange on the subject. I still haven't gotten around to giving much of his Matt Smith stuff a listen, which is stupid, because Third Eye Foundation is one of my favourite artists. I'd recommend everyone give some TEF a listen, but I suspect it wouldn't be to many people's taste.

Edited by JamesM