Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Been taking a little trip down EDM lane today, and rediscovered this incredible track by PQM and Luke Chable

Oh, yes. In a similar vein, been listening to quite a bit of randomly found minimal recently. Two tracks I like a lot:

8alQvBGMJPE

PTWRoAJWZcs

In a completely different vein, I've been in a bit of a faux-80s female-led trashy electro pop mood. I adore this so much:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2NQByp791c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2NQByp791c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

the perfect balance between kitchy and catchy.

and

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZiUZbe-zjY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZiUZbe-zjY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

which is wonderfully trashy and not entirely safe for work.

BONUS!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SllfzY1DKYE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SllfzY1DKYE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jc3ZAs17uAg

Beirut (band) - Nantes (song).

Band includes, among the lead dude and other capable musicians, Jeremy Barnes of the
fame. :yep::yep::yep:

Yay Beirut! Bought Flying Club Cup when it came out, and then was lucky enough to see them live at Sasquatch 2008. Great show. Did you get the dual-EP they put out earlier this year, March of the Zapotec? The second disc is utterly brilliant.

Let us inject some melancholy soundtracks into this thread.

Oldboy: great soundtrack, almost-perfect film. Park Chan-Wook is an astounding director, and you should see all of his filmography stat.

1mbKjV5OChA

Withnail and I, another great film and soundtrack. I hope The Rum Diary revives Bruce Robinson's career, since he kind of abandoned the movie industry after Hollywood destroyed his third film, Jennifer 8.

oxCFZ0ZZGb0

MsZZcCQfgvI

I thought about putting some other tracks but I don't want to spam the board.

Was introduced to Carbon Based Lifeforms by Last.fm a couple of weeks ago, and have been listening to them (and similar) a lot in the last fortnight:

hd61hUDwcwk

Really peaceful and uplifting.

I discovered today, McBess a funk/rock band (I guess ...) through the weird Wood music video featured on CgUnit

cD1Rrfc0y-M

and then discovered their awesome take on the main title of a movie that just got adapted to video games and got some LBP's DLC love :

Vruy8P5rtYo

Their youtube channel features several Guitare! pieces that are also quite nice.

I can't really tell if we're in the same vein anymore as my gf is asleep and I'm using her laptop, so that means her laptop is on mute. Therefore making it impossible to recognise which vein (of the many opened up in this thread) we're in.

Anywho-zzle I thought I'd share my all-time (joined with Foo Fighters - Everlong) song by Blue October:

Forgive me for the FMV, I just wanted to link a good quality sounding video + some of the live videos are utterly shitty quality. These guys are a rock/classical/emo band, without the screaming shite found in most "emo" bands. Also forgive me for the overly-lengthy post and if someone has linked these guys before

Just a little side note, it's surprising how many people haven't heard of Blue October. For example when I went to see them in Manchester (roughly 3 hours from my home city of Newcastle) there was roughly 500-600 people there, now I was astonished at that. Imo they are one of the most underated bands in existence.

Just a little side note, it's surprising how many people haven't heard of Blue October.

~sheepishly raises hand~

Not that I'm into Rock - or even most band music of any sort - myself, but I do like Foo Fighters, and slavishly listened to everything Curt Kobain uttered into a microphone during my teens.

Can't believe they also stole, I mean, adapted:shifty: this one from our french repertoire.

DrU-4H_FXhM

Sinastra did this with Claude François, but that one is weiiiird.

Can't believe they also stole, I mean, adapted:shifty: this one from our french repertoire. Sinastra did this with Claude François, but that one is weiiiird.

Wait, a cover's stealing now?

Admittedly, inter-cultural adaptations like My Way/Comme d'Habitude, If You Go Away/Ne me quitte pas, Gloomy Sunday/Szomorú vasárnap are a bit closer to 'stealing' than a cover, in terms of cultural appropriation.

But there used to be a real market for translated versions of songs, especially in that period (before non-English bands started doing English versions, or just singing in English anyway). And it's not like there haven't been translations of English-language songs made famous in various other countries. The process is still the same as some radical covers, anyway.

And, well, for those who actually care about who writes these songs, as opposed to who performs it, the international provenance of the song is always clearly stated.

Wait, a cover's stealing now?

Admittedly, inter-cultural adaptations like My Way/Comme d'Habitude, If You Go Away/Ne me quitte pas, Gloomy Sunday/Szomorú vasárnap are a bit closer to 'stealing' than a cover, in terms of cultural appropriation.

But there used to be a real market for translated versions of songs, especially in that period (before non-English bands started doing English versions, or just singing in English anyway). And it's not like there haven't been translations of English-language songs made famous in various other countries. The process is still the same as some radical covers, anyway.

And, well, for those who actually care about who writes these songs, as opposed to who performs it, the international provenance of the song is always clearly stated.

I believe that may have been sarcasm.

I believe that may have been sarcasm.

Well, yeah, I thought so too, but the bit about Sinatra threw me completely, and thought it was time to inject some hard-nosed musical-cultural debate into this thumb.

Anthrax, though \m/

So I got my Reuben "We should have gone to University" rarities album and "Racecar is Racecar backwards" vinyl, and they are both excellent.

3845324484_855e1de66f_b.jpg

3845326800_8bc485de01_b.jpg

3845328692_b5cc70f64c_b.jpg

3844539331_088a281d41_b.jpg

Sorry the images are pretty big if you are on a 1024x768 monitor.

Edited by Patters

Cool. How about in audio form? Anyone got a backwards recording of the someone saying racecar?

Certainly.

e7xELYJLx_s

ALW-ZA2SkRA

Unfourtunately Reuben split during 2008, but they remain one of my favourite bands.

Just got back from seeing the insane huoratron live. Super fun hyper energetic techno that nearly blows you out of your shoes! Seriously insane and super fun! GO see him live if you can!

PPwCmhvmHeM

At the complete different end of the spectrum from the above

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfWP7-o5hvc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfWP7-o5hvc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Perfect music for stalking the streets of a new city at night.

I guess I should have mentioned my podcast in this thread as opposed to the Podcast one seeing as it's all about music!

Anyway, I have bought far too many records this month.

I highly recommend:-

Japandroids - upbeat stuff that sounds like a punk my bloody valentine

Everyone Everywhere - amazing poppy indie like "Nothing Feels Good" era promise ring

Empire! Empire! (I was a lonely estate!) - twinkly mineral-esque stuff

Castevet - lile Cap'n Jazz, Small Brown Bike & Explosions in the sky all put in a blender

Pswingset - awesome 90's sounding emo like braid etc

Dude, Japan - Ace Urusei Yatsura style indie from the States

The Light Sleepers - lovely Yo la Tengo/seafood soundsing stuff!

At the complete different end of the spectrum from the above

Very cool. It reminds me a tiny bit of Highway 420 by Do Make Say Think, although they're not all that similar. I think it's more the stalking-the-streets thing than anything else.