Ginger

Help Ginger, plicks!

This firstly happened with my Google chat client and ahs just happened with MSN messenger as well, I think it probably caused by steam/TF2 as that is the only new thing I've been doing with my PC recently.

I can't see the windows for MSN messenger or g-chat, they both have responsive tiles in the start bar and when I minimize/restore them I see the title bar of the window shoot off the right hand side of the desktop, I've tried restarting the programs and my PC, altering the size of my desktop (both up and down), and maximising the MSN window (g-chat does not have a maximise option), none of these did anything. One solution would be to reinstall the programs but if this happens again that could quickly become a nause. Anyone got any helpful suggestions?

Could it be a firewall or antivirus app that's started blocking them? Also, it's sometimes possible to bring a wayward window back onto the desktop by right-clicking on it in the taskbar and selecting "move", then drag it left. It's tricky though since you can't see what you're doing.

One thing you could try is to clean window size and position cache. CCleaner (and presumably other similar programs) have that option. There's probably an option for that somewhere in Windows itself too, but I highly recommend downloading CCleaner nevertheless for all the other features it has.

I have no idea if it works, but I think its worth trying. Remember to close those applications before running the cleaner. I think.

One thing you could try is to clean window size and position cache. CCleaner (and presumably other similar programs) have that option.

...just make sure you untick the stupid Install the Yahoo! toolbar option if you choose to install the latest version. Otherwise, it's a great utility for getting Windows into good order--including the deletion of all the meta crap from the recycle bin, for files you think you've deleted.

Ahh.. completely forgot about that. Thank god it doesn't ask about installing it every time you run the program.

There's a temporary cure for stuff such as this and it's called the Format & Reinstall technique.

It might be malware related fuckery.

That sort of crap usually targets the stuff that gets rid of it in my (mercifully limited) experience. Always worth updating that stuff too though.

Thx for the suggestions, CCleaner sounded like it would do the trick sadly it didn't, I’m doing a full virus/malware scan, but I'm pretty up to date with such gubbins. I still think it is some bug to do with TF2 and my graphics card, as I had acrobat and mozilla windows open while playing it last night, and when I stopped playing and quit TF2 the windows of those programs were much larger than the desktop (ie the bottom and far left parts of them were off screen; scroll bars, close minimise options ect…) without thinking I choose to minimise them from the start bar and now they have the same problem.

I'm going to try reinstalling my graphic card drivers and if that doesn't work I may reinstall windows, I need to do that anyway, but really can't be arsed :(

Cheers guys

I had acrobat and mozilla windows open while playing it last night, and when I stopped playing and quit TF2 the windows of those programs were much larger than the desktop

Pretty much certain that's a driver problem, to do with how their caching your desktop and window layout when switching display modes.

Let us know how the driver update goes. It likely won't fix the damage already done, but it should stop it happening again.

Also, top tip: I usually close every other non-essential application before launching a game, to cut down on swap file thrashing. Thrashing happens when Windows desperately tries to preserve the current RAM payload for already-running applications onto hard disk, whilst trying to simultaneously load whatever new memory-hungry application you've just fired up.