Salka

British teenager arrested for owning a copy of the "Anarchists' Cookbook"

Haha, when I was thirteen and our school had just got connected to the internet, the cool thing to do was to download a copy of this. That's so absurd that you'd even get arrested for it as a kid, let alone take to court over it. And to think my physics teacher used to tell stories of how he set off explosives in trees as a schoolkid - he was so geeky, he used the leaf damage to study the blast shape.

I'm going to report you and your terrorist connections to the police immediately, 'spidermonkey'... as if that even is your real name...

Jesus. Making it a crime to "own" information is fucked.

Anarchist's Cookbook aside, how is any kind of line drawn on this? I'm sure there are a shitload of professions that rely on information "useful in the preparation of an act of terrorism".

Obviously, he owned bombs and stuff as well, but those details haven't been released.

Either that or he was arrested on a hunch and they're making it sound as if there's lots of great evidence they can't talk about.

They'll be shooting people for wearing rucksacks next.

Obviously, he owned bombs and stuff as well, but those details haven't been released.

Obviously, those are the assumptions and allusions that allow them to get away with this shit, earning the sympathies of the Daily Mail crowd, and which always turn out to be a pack of lies.

Jesus. Making it a crime to "own" information is fucked.

Anarchist's Cookbook aside, how is any kind of line drawn on this? I'm sure there are a shitload of professions that rely on information "useful in the preparation of an act of terrorism".

The Australian Defence Course Academy was going to run a course on terrorism and WMDs for people training to be officers in the military until the legal department pointed out that the laws about training terrorists are so loose that the entire departmental staff and students could be charged under the terrorism act. Woot.

The funny thing about the Anarchist's Cookbook is that it's full of such horrible information that you are liable to lose a limb in a nasty explosion involving magnesium or something.

Or you might end up spending all your money on bananas.