Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

How was your weekend?

Mine was great! I went to robodock and got to see all kinds of cool stuff. Like the rare chance to see SRL perform a show in the Netherlands or the incredibly cool La machina with their performance of La Symphony Mecanique. A show where they use old machines and tools and turn them into musical intruments. But the best of all was the Serpent Mother. A 50 meter long serpent made out of steel and flames. Coolest thing ever was the fact that the audience can control the flames. The operators had everything hooked up to a mac where they could do all kinds of cool stuff using a wiimote. So waving the wiimote controls the flames. See it in action

After an excelent evening at robodock I hooked up with Marek to go the the coolest club in Amsterdam: Club 11. This club is situated on the top floor of an old office building where they have this restaurant/club/bar thing going. During the day you can eat there and in the evening they transform half the room into a nightclub with a great view of the city. We get to see Swayzak perfroma great liveset. Superb visuals and great music in a supercool location means I had a great weekend!

So anyway, how was your weekend?

Saturday

Looked after kids all day as usual whilst Mrs V. goes to work and then cares for her aunt. Watched The Prestige with Mrs V. in the eveing; mind melts due to complex, dark - but ultimately brilliant - storytelling.

Overal: :tup: :tup:

Sunday

Got up at 5:30am to watch the MotoGP live from Motegi, Japan; Casey Stoner wins the championship, vindicating my constant "but he's a fucking brilliant rider!" protestations for the entire season last year. Play Buckaroo and Tip 'n' Topple altogether in the afternoon, after an excellent roast chicken dinner. Decide at 9:15pm that I'd better go pre-order Halo 3: Limited Collector's Edition immediately at my local Blockbuster to avoid disappointment, which I do; get about twice as much credit as I was expecting when I trade in Halo 2 and King Kong at the same time.

Overall: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Saturday:

A friend turns 20 years old. We make fun of her new "adulthood" by all wearing suits, smoking cigars, and drinking port. Later we remembered that we're young and stupid and managed to catch air in a minivan. Yeah, yeah. The driver was sober, relax. Just a little crazy is all.

Using the 'Vainia rating system: :tup::tup:

Sunday:

Meet up with the girlfriend mid-morning. She doesn't feel up to much, so we end up just going back to my place to chill. Ended up as a very enjoyable day, especially as it was fucking cold outside. Downside was, she gave me her cold.

Overall: :tup::tup: *cough* :tup:

Excellent.

Sat:

Went to London to meet a friend from the states, got caught right in the middle of a zombie flash mob at the Tate Modern. A very pissed off security guard at the door was saying "You can't come in here, this is a public art gallery!" as about 30 of them shambled past him :). There was a guy leaving fake bloody handprints on the cafeteria windows and groaning "MMMUUUFFFIIIIINNSS" at the diners.

Sun:

A friend came around for some LAN games, but instead of the usual FPS stuff we play, we used an N64 emulator and some pads to play Mario Kart 64 and Micro Machines :tup:

I'm currently in a state of perpetual stress, sadness and anxiety about moving away to Uni on Saturday so all in all my days recently haven't been too great.

As a result though, I have no idea what I actually did at the weekend so... :tmeh:

Two parties on Saturday, very fun, up 'til 3am.

After 2 hours sleep, get up to scout a location for the tv show I'm working on. Specifically, for a sketch pastiching 28 Days Later, so I was alone on Westminster Bridge with a camera at 6am Sunday morning.

Got a couple more hours sleep, then watched Shoot 'Em Up (good fun, but not John Woo) and DeathProof (the full-length European cut, amazing).

Went home, watched Face/Off, fell asleep.

I had an analogue gaming weekend: invited a few friends over. Had a huge row over Catan which quickly dissipated into nothingness because we're all hugely competitive players. We made up during a monstrous game of Carcassonne (highly recommended!), which mashed together four of its expansions and the basic game, making for a huge gaming board eventually and hours of fun.

Sounds superb, Rodi.

My kids are really keen on board games at the moment and I'm hoping to nurture this as time goes on. I'd love to get them into something like Catan, once they're old enough.

Also, I neglected to mention that we played electronic Whack-a-Mole on Sunday too. :tup:

saturday

woke up late and went shopping. went into game and bought mysims, suffered laughter and mocking of game geeks, then listened to them wank on about the fact that they'd played mario galaxy and metroid and they're AMAAAAAZING. cunts. got home and played mysims, upsetting. went to see knocked up, v good, went to captain america's and drank a pitcher of cocktail and some free shots. had to walk home very slowly as if i was a very full jug of vomit. tried to throw madden out the window (see previous rant on flatmate obsession with madden)

sunday

v hungover today. went to play something to distract myself from hangover. wii bricked. cry a little. try every single wii and gamecube game in the flat. still not working. go through new dispatch of pc games recently given to us by an emigrating friend. try to install sims 2 university to compensate for lack of maxis in my life.

laptop crashes when it's installed.

i've suddenly become the grim reaper of technology.

(addendum - install firewire pci on monday morning in work. how wrong can this go? i broke - physically broke - the card. )

Well, mine wasn't that excellent.

Friday:

I was super excited at first about the weekend because this finally meant that I could get some playing done, not gaming, but actual sports called floorball. Also I had some great plans of getting wasted with some old school friends and I had plans on saturday to go to this one sauna night and get wasted there too.

Well I went to some extra practise just for fun and ended up crashing to the small sidewalls of the rink from full speed. That was totally my own fault. People told me that the accident looked really bad like I had broken bones from my legs and chest. I was driven to the hospital in an ambulance and there I had to wait four fucking hours for the doctor to come see me and check my wounds. Then when he finally came, it took him about three minutes and he just said "here's some painkillers, go home." I really hate those bastards that call themselves doctors. Thankfully it was later revealed by a better doctor that I hadn't broken any bones.

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

Saturday:

Well I went to the sauna night but couldn't get wasted so I was just popping painkillers and was the designated driver for all the drunks. What. A. Great. Saturday. It. Was... :tdown:

Sunday:

I just slept all day. :tup:

So is the moral of this story "don't do sports", I don't know...

I spent the weekend completing my media computer, which is the computer that's sitting under my television instead of under my monitor. I got the last piece (RAM) on Friday and spent saturday installing Windows XP, figuring out the drivers, setting up the remote, etc. Finally I could watch Prison Break e03s01 in 720p on 40 instead of 18.4 inches. It was cool. Sunday night I saw 300 in 720p which was awesome.

So far:

Friday night

Turned up for a friend's birthday party at All Star Lanes bowling in Bayswater... only to discover I was a week early. :tdown:

Saturday

Spending too much time writing things like this instead of going comics shopping, which is what I really want to do. :tdown:

Going to see the Bill Hicks show, 'Slight Return', with my girlfriend, tonight :tup:

Friday:

After taking a Mechanics of Writing (English) test, I spent the rest of the day wondering where I caught this flu. I also played some TF2 and tried not to do anything important.

Saturday:

Went to a restaurant with my family and did some Java coding. Then I decided to buy the most hyped sequel/expansion of the past week.

I like the fact that, even though it is a standalone expansion, you can play both the Allied campaign of the original Company of Heroes and two new campaigns of Opposing Fronts without having to run them separately. Those without the expansion can also play against those that have it. Only downside is that units are mute at the moment, though that is probably an error with the Steam version and almost certainly fixed pretty soon.

Other than that, two new armies, two new campaigns (which, hopefully, means twice the duration), relatively low price and a completely awesome game as a base should make this an instant buy for all those who have even a slightest interest in RTS games.

And if not... :getmecoat

Sunday:

Still to come, hopefully.

EDIT: Problem solved.

It's half past four AM and the last guests from my birthday party just left. Fun fun fun.:tup:

It's half past nine pm Saturday night and I worked all day and haven't slept since Friday morning. Having to go to a 10 am shift this morning straight from a party was not fun. Tomorrow, the girl and I are going to watch a couple of movies for the final day of the Calgary International Film Festival, then I have to go to my own theater for a couple of hours because the person they put in charge on the last day doesn't know how to do film work. Once I've bailed her out, the night will still be young and I haven't figured out what I'm doing. Looks promising though.

You can't buy Watchmen at a comic convention?? What can you buy?!

Well, a godawful lot of Suske & Wiske, for one. Judging from my acquirings; also some Hellboy. But no Watchmen. No idea why; I think it's a fluke. Though there weren't many American graphic novels anyway, it was European strip for the most part, as is often the case.

Heh :)

We were on the right side of the road for that shot, but that rider's had advanced training, so he tended to go carefully and use both lanes depending on what gave the best view. He took it very easy while the camera was out too.

If you're not shy of speed and ride with a biker who has exceptional road sense, pillion is fun up to about 120 mph (Though he and some bikers who followed us said I'm an unusually confident one). Trying to cling on to side mounted grab rails at 150 is terrifying though, I wouldn't recommend it :eek:

Trying to cling on to side mounted grab rails at 150 is terrifying though, I wouldn't recommend it :eek:

Pfft! Grab rails are for girls! Last (and only) time I went pillion was on the back of a Buell XB 1300 Fire Bolt, which has a tiny shelf of a pillion seat, with a pathetic little strap right under your arse to cling onto. Also, were you to slide back more than couple inches, you'd actually be on the back wheel! Talk about "shit yourself"...

Anyway, here's this weekend for your reading pleasure:

Friday

Having completed the single-player campaign of Halo 3 on Thursday night, I felt brave enough to try out multiplayer for the first time. And it was absolutely brilliant fun. Got to bed about 2am, having played for 5hrs straight. :tup: :tup:

Saturday

Look after the kids all day as usual, do the recycling, not much else daytime wise. In the evening, Mrs V. - for the first time since discovering Quake II had a god mode - asked to play a game! Woohoo! Even better, we played Halo 3 in co-op on easy, and I duly registered her on Xbox Live too.

By the end of a 2.5hr play session, she was duel wielding pistols like a demon and actually getting quite confident with the dual-stick controls. So much so, she'd like to play again sometime--huzzah! :tup: :tup:

Sunday

Plan to go up and work on the new house's garden whilst Mrs V. takes the girls to their first family service at church, see if they like it. T, my 8-month-old son, duly falls asleep after they've gone and sleeps for about 2hrs, meaning he doesn't get up until lunchtime by which time I can't go and do the garden. Lots of quiet Internet surfing though, which is a rare treat.

Mrs V. returns with the girls, we have a nice roast dinner and then settle down to watch Brother Bear for the first time, which turns out to be complete shit--Disney deserve to go down the toilet for shallow, pandering crap like this!

Having converted Mrs V. to contemporary Chinese cinema with Hero, we watch House of Flying Daggers together in the evening and are somewhat disappointed. It's not a patch on Hero, but it's stunning to watch all the same--especially the scenery. :tup:

Pfft! Grab rails are for girls! Last (and only) time I went pillion was on the back of a Buell XB 1300 Fire Bolt, which has a tiny shelf of a pillion seat, with a pathetic little strap right under your arse to cling onto. Also, were you to slide back more than couple inches, you'd actually be on the back wheel! Talk about "shit yourself"...

Ick! Saw some similar setups out there, with pillions perched a full head above the rider. They don't look good at all for fast riding.

friday: birthday party! spent the first hour worrying that no one would turn up. then too many people showed up. got a camera for my birthday so spent the evening taking photos, and smiling like the joker for some reason. buckfast brougth on some shocking level of paranoia which saw me hiding my alcohol/phone/camera/cigarettes in the oven in case anyone stole them. in general, a fantastic night.

saturday: die a little. then move most of the contents of my flat into my mum's very small car to go to our new home. unpack in new abode. lots of ppl over with alcohol playing some confusing dice game. brain gives up.

sunday: wake up in pain. go back over to flat and move rest of contents over to new home. grocery shop. unpack. watch new housemate play battlefield for a while. realise i've forgotten to pack all manner of scarts and connections.get brought out for dinner - birthday weekend yay!

birthdays rule, except i'm old now. moving sucks.