DanJW

FFS - two tier internet

They're the only group backing it. It's ridiculous to say the least. Tier the internet and it will be destroyed.

Grrrr.... :( TO ARMS BROTHERS! (and sisters)

One wonders just how much cash the ISPs are putting into certain politicians' party coffers over this...

There's no way anything other than big business is driving this; tiering the Internet in this way strikes me as entirely undemocratic. Why should a politician --or anyone else for that matter--give a shit about this, unless you're an ISP?

Tier the internet and it will be destroyed.

I dunno about destroyed, but its development rate will suddenly turn glacial. What's the point in entrepreneurship - discovering the best new ideas and making lots of money as reward - when the ISPs now have the power to extract all that money from you after watching you take all the risk.

I don't understand : what's the difference between two tier internet and the current system in which the more money you pour in your internet access, the faster you connection is ?

There's a big difference between the quality of speed with which you can access everything, and not having access to everything. In the current system all information (barring some commercial sites etc) is free and you only pay for the logistical means of 'getting there'. But an internet caste system is wholly undesirable because it's an artificial implementation with no cause save for greed.

Vimes, the idea is that ISP's will provide fast "premium" service to certain sites ie ones that have paid them. everything else will be available but at a reduced bandwidth.

This might be really bad for gaming, for instance. Only those servers that pay the ISPs will be accessible with a decent ping. Free MMOs may well become logistically impossible.

My only hope is that some ISPs choose not to go with this system and as a result will be overwhelmingly popular and wipe the floor with the two tier bastards.

You speak like this has already come to pass and is law, Dan. But it's not... is it?!

I can't see how this will ever make it through the larger US law system; surely it's in direct conflict with Freedom of Speech? "Yes, you can say what ever you like, but no-one will hear you if you've not paid for them to."

This is bogus and will crash+burn very shortly I'm thinking. Net Neutrality as a whole has already had a few gaping holes blasted in it, as soon as the stupid old coots who dreamt it up presented their ideas to the wider political and judicial assemblies. It's currently taking on water and sinking fast - and I'm hoping it transpires that "Two Tier Internet" was being smuggled in its cargo hold, too.

Nautical (but nice) metaphors ftw!

Eh? Isn't Net Neutrality all about avoiding two tiered internet? How can one take the other down with it? And what's this about it sinking. What? What? What? Who? When? What?

My (vague) understanding was that Net Neutrality had been shot down once it reached congress, and the two-tier approach was its phoenix, so to speak...

I was under the impression that network neutrality and tiered Internet supporters usually aren't seen around the same fondue pot.

This discussion made me very confused, however.

Skimming a directly related article in Wikipedia, I think I'm along the right lines. Though I hasten to add this isn't something I've ever looked into in any sort of meaningful depth--just bits and pieces I've crufted from various podcasts which have toyed with it in the past.

I suck at politics as my second hobby.

Strange, skimming the same article I think I'm on the right lines, in that "Net Neutrality" is a term for non-tiered internet.

Currently there is full network neutrality in the United States, meaning that telecommunications companies do not offer different rates to internet consumers based on content or service type;

The Legislation that failed was legislation attempting to prevent tiered internet, the exact same thing that has just now been green-lit by the US Justice Department.

To reiterate. Net Neutrality is opposed to tiered intenet services.

Dan is correct.

There was an astroturf campaign by the telcos to present tiered net access as something "on the consumers side" against the "big, evil companies like google and yahoo", blah blah, etc. It slagged off net neutrality as a profiteering lie, etc, but was total bullshit.

Unfortunately, lobbyists still seem to be getting U.S. senators to buy into opposition to net neutrality.

Wait, wait, wait. I thought net neutrality is what the GOOD GUYS want?

Or is this one of those things that follows the reverse logic naming conventions established during the Bush administration?

Someone post the Daily Show explanation of net neutrality if you know where to find it. I remember it owning everything.

Wait, wait, wait. I thought net neutrality is what the GOOD GUYS want?

That is correct. Phone companies be trying to FUD it all up.

I'd link the Daily Show segment on comedy central seeing as they issue takedowns for ones on youtube, but their site is a crappy, barely functional mess that forces an advert down your throat then tends to skip the video you want. So here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB2Xnu9xQVU

Wait wait, this is not SUCH a complicated thing, is it? Or am I missing something? It's, as always, a delight to watch the Daily Show and it needs no special justification, but I didn't know loads of people were confounded over this. I mean- sure, non-internet users...

If they ever do release a 2 tier internet I'm sure it'll be cracked, hacked and raped to shit before it is more than a few days old.