toblix

BioShock - They weren't kidding...

Although I admit it had its good moments (like the steam covered room). The point remains nonetheless.

Yeah, I had a question about that room.

Not sure, but it was a cool moment!

What confused my about it was that the second I was "caught" and frozen, I thought... "what now??" ...then I just thawed and killed everyone. It wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be.

Not sure, but it was a cool moment!

What confused my about it was that the second I was "caught" and frozen, I thought... "what now??" ...then I just thawed and killed everyone. It wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be.

Oh, no. I meant the room in the medical pavilion with the guy who appears behind you. The dentist's office.

But yeah, the freezing was a bit disappointing, as were the other three guys. The masterpeice idea was good though. Dramatic, when Cohen walks down the stairs. I liked Frolic second only to Neptune.

I'm not entirely sure whether there was anything technically fancy going on in the dentists office to be honest. Would need someone to replay it in order to know for sure - as my memory is quite hazy on this -

but what would happen for example if you did it backwards? You'd still have to turn and face the drawers (or whatever they were) in order to 'search' them. It's this 'search' action I think which triggers the appearance of the splicer behind you

:erm:

As for games that may have employed similar mechanics,

the only one that comes to mind is perhaps FEAR? In many cases this would be in a forced manner (like taking control away from your viewpoint) but I believe it was quite similar in respect and there were moments of freedom where it seemed to play off the viewing angle - whether that's again down to just level design or any fancy technical gubbins I can't remember

I'm not entirely sure whether there was anything technically fancy going on in the dentists office to be honest. Would need someone to replay it in order to know for sure - as my memory is quite hazy on this -

but what would happen for example if you did it backwards? You'd still have to turn and face the drawers (or whatever they were) in order to 'search' them. It's this 'search' action I think which triggers the appearance of the splicer behind you

:erm:

As for games that may have employed similar mechanics,

the only one that comes to mind is perhaps FEAR? In many cases this would be in a forced manner (like taking control away from your viewpoint) but I believe it was quite similar in respect and there were moments of freedom where it seemed to play off the viewing angle - whether that's again down to just level design or any fancy technical gubbins I can't remember

Ah, thank you. I never played FEAR, but of course I heard amazing things. I'm excited about this new perspective-sensitive stuff, if that's what it is. Imagine how much involving a story could be of you only had to face a character as opposed to pressing B to trigger a conversation.

Now that I think about it, Half Life 2 had some of that going on, with Alex's "Gordon, stop staring at me" (right?).

As I recall, if you stared at a particular character's breasts in Metal Gear Solid she would turn red and ask what you were doing... or so I heard.

This is true. I tried this. Also, I watched a guy take a piss before I strangled him. :deranged:

Also, I watched a guy take a piss before I strangled him. :deranged:

Which is more creepy than relevant...

But yeah, perspective-based triggers can't be that hard to program. Just determine if the viewpoint of the player, relative to his position, is within a certain radius of a certain point in 3D space (i.e.. the breasts of a lady) It should definately be possible in whatever engine of choice.

[...] a certain point in 3D space (i.e.. the breasts of a lady)

Have you even seen a lady?