toblix

BioShock - They weren't kidding...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I installed the demo, fired it up, got past the plan crash scene (it looks freaking awesome) but then it loads the second level and then dies horribly :(. It even causes problems with my entire system and ntdll.dll. I had to restore my system back 5 days to get my PC to work properly again ><.

:tup: for what I saw though (like a whole minute of gameplay :shifty: )

Anyone else having that problem?

Hehheh, I had the exact same error when I tried the demo.

Cagney, the game keeps loading stuff into memory for some time after it lets you into the level. I have such slow memory and not a lot of it that it's apparent by most textures being almost blank for half a minute or so. That's probably what's happening for you.

:yep: This is an absolutely sublime game. I'm quite near finishing it. I think I harvested only 2 girls (only out of curiosity) but the rest of them I saved. The level design and gameworld are supreme, the visual style impeccable, the art direction untouchable in its quality.

I haven't lost this much sleep and been this intense playing a game since....Knights Of The Old Republic, and before that.....Deus Ex?

Experiencing Bioshock is a double edged sword for me (or double edged plasmid in this case) because very few titles after this will satisfy me. The bar has been raised higher again (something that happens only every several years). Yep, this is gaming at its zenith, up there with the all time greats like Half-Life, Thief, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, and KOTOR.

And like Deus Ex and KOTOR this game is very necessary for our times; it ignites dialogue about ethical choices and moral accountability, political and philosophical decisions, and the consequences of unchecked and unquestioned extreme beliefs and actions.

And THAT is on top of it being one of the very finest games ever conceived.

Hey there, Trep :) Haven't seen y'around for some time.

I think I'd greatly echo your findings on Bioshock, as soon as I paly it properly. Right now I've only had an immensely satisfying first half hour.

Is man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

Has anyone else had this problem?

As soon as I enter

Fort Frolic

, the walking speed slows down considerably. If I remain

in the bathesphere or return to Arcadia

my movement goes back to normal, but as soon as I step onto solid ground I'm slowed down. I don't think it's a technical issue, since the frame rate doesn't drop and I can still perform other actions with no perceivable change in speed.

Are you playing on PC or 360? I just got to the same location myself and am having no problems, but as previously mentioned, I'm consoling it up for this one.

Does anyone else feel really sorry for the big daddies? After I've saved all of the little sisters in an area, I just watch them lumber around looking lonely and sad. I've started using the Hypnotise Big Daddy plasmid when I really don't need to just so that they have someone to hang around and make them feel a bit better. Better for them to have a weird genetically-dominating friend than no friend at all, right?

Also, throwing bees is so bloody satisfying it's ridiculous.

God yeah, when they hammer on the little tunnel things for the sister to come out and there's no response, they get frustrated and I feel really guilty, despite the fact I have SAVED every single one.

As to the bees, I can't understand why someone would create a plasmid to make bees erupt from your arm, it freaks me out and so I avoided that one, hehe.

As to the bees, I can't understand why someone would create a plasmid to make bees erupt from your arm, it freaks me out and so I avoided that one, hehe.

It freaks you out? Then they have been successful with the idea. :hah:

Best way to use the bees is on one or more splicers, especially spider splicers that are hard to get because they're hanging on the ceiling. Throw the bees then immediately hide behind a wall or something (peeking out at intervals to watch the fun) so the splicers can't shoot at you.

Worst way to use the bees is when a Big Daddy is nearby because in addition to the splicers the bees will also attack the Big Daddy, and you do NOT want him and the splicers after you all at once.

Ok, ok I got suckered in by the whole minute of game play I witnessed. But my god IT LOOKED SO GOOD! I'm hoping that the actual game works for me though otherwise I'm going to have a sore head tomorrow after it gets a good bashing on my desk.

Are you playing on PC or 360? I just got to the same location myself and am having no problems, but as previously mentioned, I'm consoling it up for this one.

Does anyone else feel really sorry for the big daddies? After I've saved all of the little sisters in an area, I just watch them lumber around looking lonely and sad. I've started using the Hypnotise Big Daddy plasmid when I really don't need to just so that they have someone to hang around and make them feel a bit better. Better for them to have a weird genetically-dominating friend than no friend at all, right?

Also, throwing bees is so bloody satisfying it's ridiculous.

PC.

And yeah, it's funny. The whole thing was that they made the little sisters look more humanoid to inspire empathy, but in the end, the ones I'm really sorry for are the more alien big daddies. I think it's their indifference towards the player and their disinterest in getting involved in any of conflict. The little sisters whine and send the big daddies after you for no good reason; if the gatherers can regenerate cells instantly, what are they so touchy about? :grin: It's the little sisters who are the aggressors and the big daddies who are enslaved by their need for Adam and are forced to grudgingly do whatever the gatherers say. I demand an option to kill the little sisters and rescue the big daddies. :mock:

I demand an option to kill the little sisters and rescue the big daddies. :mock:

Killing little sisters!? Have you no heart man!? Wait... nevermind...

I was about to ask this. Lighting a cigarette with your fingertips or pouring a drink using telekinesis makes sense, at least in a very bizarre level, but what's the excuse for the bee plasmid? Honey?

And how do you advertise that thing?

:) How would it not work for you?

Because like he said earlier, the demo crashed his computer after the introduction level. The same thing happened to me when I tried the demo. :)

That sucked pretty much as I would've loved to see the actual game part of the demo and not just up to the part when you go down with the elevator.

But I'm going to try it again soon and do some settings changes etc., maybe it will work then.

I was about to ask this. Lighting a cigarette with your fingertips or pouring a drink using telekinesis makes sense, at least in a very bizarre level, but what's the excuse for the bee plasmid? Honey?

And how do you advertise that thing?

I agree. Also with the plasmids' introductory videos: "Light fire with your fingertips, incinerate your enemies." (or something) as opposed to showing any ordinarily useful application. They could have put more effort into making the plasmids seem deeper than just 'combat magic for the 20th century.

I thought the one for the Freeze plasmid was especially funny. It showed the man freezing his wife and then shattering her. It's almost as if they feel they need to spell everything out for you. I would have much preferred they continue to emphasize the 'living, breathing world' feeling of Rapture and say something like "Forget about time- consuming refrigeration. Freeze your perishable goods instantly!'... or something like that.

I don't know if anyone's said it yet, but we all know this game's riddled with consolitis.

AMD chips have the cool n' quiet technology built into them which reduces the clock speed while it's not being used. I'm using a 2400+ Athlon X2 and it uses around 60-70% of my CPU power for the game.

To get it to work though I needed to start it in DX9 version instead of DX10. To do this follow the guide found conveniently here

I did some settings changes and I got the demo working.

Seems like a cool game, the demo came to the end in such a tight spot that I have to put into consideration the thought about buying this game.

I can see that all that hype isn't bullshit, this seriously feels like a game that gives you great experiences.

Wasn't it designed for the PC?

I'm pretty sure the Australian team at Irrational ported it over to PC, with the 360 being the lead platform.

Gotta agree about the plasmid videos. Some subtler hints would have been a whole lot better.

Where exactly is the demo from in the game?

It's the very start of the game. Plane crash up until Ryan appears on that screen and asks who sent you, then splicers start trying to fuck up the windows on the room your in to get at you and the demo ends. Convinced me to pick up the game, which I now am very happy I did.