Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

Captain August is back

After an absence of two months, we're back and running according to old familiar schedule. If everything goes right, we're running smoothly again from now on.

Just thought I'd mention it for the few Augustians around here :davidbrent:

It will be interesting to return to the general search-for-the-bridge -story after all this whaling. How has it altered the whole style of the comic I ask? And I answer: I don't know! :erm:

Actually, I don't know either. There won't be any references to Moby Dick after this, it's pretty self-contained. What has been nice is to let the characters have some development or even completely different personalities. That might silently seep into the regular comic; perhaps. It'll be strange going back to a simple sarcastic Nuch after writing the delightfully vexed personage of Mr. Starnuch. So who knows where it'll go? Maybe things will have changed after all...

I hope year four will contain loads of stalking by the Beatnik and a horde of elephantoids! :erm:

August has been online for approximately as long as I've been studying at this university, four years. Reading the first few strips reminded me of the incredible angst and indequacy I felt, especially when compared to the apparent excitement you felt when writing the comics and the accompanied rants. Sniff.

Anyway, I think I'll have to send you the "Russian" edition some day as well. :yep: When I finally finish it.

Hey, back then I was in my own gothicky phase; back when I started the school I just finished too.

I just came back from the anime convention Abunai and it was absolutely awesome. I sold out almost my entire stock of Year One, finally, and there were even fans who wanted to buy the posters a friend of mine printed for free. There was so much love for August, especially considering that I had to fight really hard to get people to take interest in the book in previous years. This year, the thing basically sold itself. Is the convention mindset changing? Are people more open to outside-the-comfort-zone stuff? I sure hope so.

By the way. I dressed up like a Team Rocket and I will post pictures. Prepare for trouble.

Pictures are online.

Also a bit of a warning: this last week, August had been hacked and Bad People or possibly robots had changed the code a bit. If anyone visited (anyone? anyone?) the last seven days, odds are you have about 8 viruses and trojans on your computer. Yeah. Sorry 'bout that! Here's a good and free virus scanner: http://free.grisoft.com!

I think my visits count for 50% of your daily traffic, though you must have other fans who are as avid as I am (still, an RSS feed would reduce the amount of my weekly visits...). :deranged: I miss the forums, now I can't comment on the comics except in my own head. Sob.

Were the viruses for Mac & Linux as well? And Safari/Firefox?

No, they were just... viruses. You know. Stuff. I dunno :tup: Odds are they were mainly for Windows, because Bill Gates just arouses that sort of behaviour in people.

Also; I want to do a more bloggish site in the future, so you'll be able to comment on each and every episode and rant. But that must wait until I find enough peons to do the dirty work for me.

I am shocked by the brutal bloodbath we have had to endure in the end. Oh my!

I reread the first August book a while ago. It has got better with age, like fine wine. :manny:

Yes, I had to get that out of my system. We had been without senseless violence for too long! We had become sensitized to it again. Also, I felt like drawing a lot of floating corpses. Fun, that.

To spread the word of August, I added a Facebook group for Captain August. Imaginatively, it's called "Captain August Fanclub". (I tried to borrow a scaled-down version of the Captain August ad from the first year and put it as the group image, but Facebook is buggy today so it didn't work. I you don't mind me adding it, Rodi :) )

So join up, join up! As I don't know any of you other August fans, I decided to advertise here first. Spread the word! Maybe we'll even have some discussions there now that the official forums are closed. And msg me if you think your status warrants adminship.

This link might or might not work: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7121895685

Great initiative there! :tup: I'm not registered at Facebook (I don't even know what it is), so I can't view the page. I think I'll register for this though. It's pretty good.

Facebook is that latest online thingy everybody should be registered on (OK, so I've got nothing against people who want to avoid that sort of thing, since essentially Facebook is a waste of time). A friend introduced it to me with the words "it's like Myspace but more fun". You can connect with friends new and old (it's actually pretty good if you can hook up with old schoolmates from another country or something like that) and just waste time doing things like playing Scrabulous (=Scrabble), join groups like "Idle Thumbs", "Captain August Rules" and "Abolish Poverty", create a list of movies you've seen with reviews, a list of books and CDs you own, discover strange social networks between people (like "woa, the brother of my friend who now lives in Congo dated my ex!"), keep a blog, communicate with friends, hear about new parties and events in your area and much more.

Yeah, "waste of time" was the more succinct way of putting it. But it's also a way of documenting your life, if you like that sort of thing. And it can even be fun.

Anwyway, back to August! :)

I actually find Facebook an incredibly useful way of maintaining contact with people, especially when they're out of the country. Quite a few of my friends organise events through it too. A few people from my past have also got in touch through it... which cuts both ways, from someone awesome you've not seen in many years to... well, wankers.

If you're easily distracted by and obsessive about projects, Facebook is an absolutely great way to prompt yourself into maintaining a real-world social life.

Yeah I agree. Whereas Myspace is basically a "make your own homepage" deal, in the tradition of the awful days of geocities and so on, Facebook is actually an effective social network.

The only thing I've got running so far is a Dutch thing called Hyves, and it is absolutely abysmal and I hate it. I despise it because it is so very shallow and there's no room for depth. That's not the point, I know, but it bothers me nonetheless.

I've registered for Facebook and the exquisite Captain August fanclub, however :tup:

If you're easily distracted by and obsessive about projects, Facebook is an absolutely great way to prompt yourself into maintaining a real-world social life.
Then again, if you are a student, Facebook is yet another way for you to waste your time on something other than studying (or actual social life/hobbies/work/whatever). :shifty:

However, without Facebook, I'd be wasting my time at Wikipedia or the Thumb or YouTube, so it's really not such a big deal! :D

Year Three of that excellent webcomic Captain August has ended! It has been a year of literary pretensions and high caliber drama (and just an ounce of August idiotry)!

year-three-ended-press-release.gif

Read the year from the very beginning here !