elmuerte

Zero Punctuation

I think he's losing his touch. I'm not laughing as much as I used to, and I rewatched some earlier episodes and I think they are better...

I was surprised he liked Crysis though! I expected him to bash it for being desinged for "some hypothetical future-computer", but he seemed to like this one a lot more than usual.

yahtzee-goat.jpg

Click the goat and rest assured that Yahtzee is perhaps just a little inconsistent if anything.

Really liked this one -- and don't skip the end.

I think he's lost some of his vitriol. He's still angry, but not as much as in earlier videos. I think the fan adoration is softening him up.

Still brilliant, though.

Seriously, the man does one episode a week, and you judge each one like it will tell you whether he's getting better or worse. He could just have the flu one week or something. Maybe he met a nice girl and isn't so angry anymore :P Why analyze it?

Forget Zero Punctuation, I want more Intro Theater!

That was probably the hardest I've laughed watching a video on the internet in at least a month.

Aah, excellent. Half of his criticisms of the game are actually why I enjoy it: the inane dialogues, the on-rails genre... Also, I thought Rebecca was cute, not a 9 year old boy. Now I feel like a pead and Yufster will harrass me forever. Pead-sense tingling!

Also, I thought Rebecca was cute, not a 9 year old boy. Now I feel like a pead and Yufster will harrass me forever. Pead-sense tingling!

I think you mean paed.

Oh no, it takes one to spell one!

They pretty much always make me laugh, he's a good writer, and one of a few who actually treat games as a cultural thing.

Meh :tmeh:

^ meh :tmeh:

:P

It's funny, I stumbled across his two earlier videos on YouTube (which led to him moving to the Escapist and doing it weekly) and I kind of prefer them. Despite what's been said in this thread about not taking his "reviews" too seriously (for the most part) his early ones were a bit more weighty and less bile for the sake of bile. He actually came across as quite likeable too, instead if the hate filled/anger driven character he's got to live up to.

Of course churning them out weekly, he can't be expected to perfectly sum up every game that's thrown his way AND be highly entertaining. I'd be happy if he did them monthly and really nailed the game in question, myself.

You can see his early experiments here (if you've not seen them already):

http://www.youtube.com/user/yahtzee19

Oddly enough he also took the time to upload videos of him playing Flashback (remember that old gem?) with Bon Jovi and Eye of the Tiger playing over them. Odd, but enjoyable!

I disagree. I love it that I have a funny little video to watch every wednesday. But you're acting like it's this atrocious thing, where they're actually of surprisingly good quality considering they're weekly and not, you know, the guy's job. I know you don't hate it or anything, but you're overreacting. This is way better than a monthly vid that everyone forgets soon after. It's not like he's aiming for Oscarworthy material.

Yeah I'm confused as well about the weird way people are against Yahtzee doing so many reviews all the time or that they constantly say "he's losing it." I'm more happy to have these every week than not at all. It's something to pass the time on during work, and I almost always laugh. But I never miss one either way.

I quite enjoyed this one. Some funny moments in it.

I think the only one I've disliked so far was the review of MoH: Airborne. But then that was an appalling game in itself ¬¬

I disagree. I love it that I have a funny little video to watch every wednesday. But you're acting like it's this atrocious thing, where they're actually of surprisingly good quality considering they're weekly and not, you know, the guy's job. I know you don't hate it or anything, but you're overreacting. This is way better than a monthly vid that everyone forgets soon after. It's not like he's aiming for Oscarworthy material.

I'm not sure if you're addressing me or ThunderPeel (My "Meh" was a review of his review of the latest ZP :P). I'm not saying the present ones are in any way bad, just that if they were monthly or bi-weekly, they'd each be a much bigger deal, and likely even better from Ben having more time to ruminate on them.

Nah, I know what you're saying, but I still think you're wrong.

The way I look at it is this: A review has a single purpose; to let others know what something is like. Is it good/bad/terrible/etc. During the course of a review a talented writer can also entertain the reader. This is the icing on the cake, so to speak. For me, the icing seems to have overtaken the cake. It's still entertaining, but you can no longer really base an opinion on what he says or even identify with how he feels a lot of the time. Given more time, I imagine this would occur less as he'd be able to sum up his feelings more accurately, I think. It's just a personal taste thing, I guess.

(It IS his job, btw. He's a journalist, you know. This is what he gets paid for. The Escapist didn't just pluck his videos from YouTube and then ask him to do them once a week for no reason: They're paying him!)

There are other (better - sorry to say) journalists like Charlie Brooker who manage to be as fantastically entertaining whilst also making many good points, too. I know it's unfair to compare Yahtzee to another journalist, I'm just lamenting the fact that there's not someone out there really hilariously summing up games and embarrassing the folks behind the bad ones. Part of the enjoyment now seems to come from seeing how angry Yahtzee can get, rather than cheering along with the blasting of crap games.

I do believe that if he was left to do a monthly video that he'd probably sum up the games and their flaws, perfectly AND still be highly entertaining (if not more so), which I think would mean people would come back and watch them again and again. I could be being completely naive in believing this, though.

I do like Yahtzee, I just want him to do better, that's all.

New one: Sim City Societies. This one should keep all the 'why doesn't he treat it like a real review' people happy.

But, as someone who hasn't upgraded to whatever next-gen we're up to now, I have no idea what the closing slideshow is all about. Anyone care to explain?