elmuerte

Zero Punctuation

Great smilie! But could it be done so that whenever it's used, the thread will be automatically locked? :)

Why is everyone complaining about the bosses? The bosses were absolutely fantastically exhilirating. A lot of his arguments are pretty moot, anyway, except for that it can indeed be tricky to foresee where Mario will run to if he's hanging upside-down underneath some donut. Everything else seemed a bit farfetched and dragged along to continue the air of Ebenezer Scrooginess.

I mean, who cares that Mario has been around for a long time, when his games continue to be this good? It's just looking for stuff to complain about, but Galaxy's the wrong address for that =)

Blimey... and here was me giving serious thought to buying a PSP, finally (somehow), on the "strength" of Silent Hill: Origins. How disappointing.

Interestingly enough though, the game scored well with Eurogamer. But then they have an apparent editorial rule which states that controversial sequels to lesser franchises should be reviewed by people who've never played any of the previous games in the series. So maybe it's just that in effect (yet again).

Now hold on, we've already had a whole discussion on this, and it was democratically agreed upon by the people that Zero Punctuation was comedy first and foremost, and its journalistic views (an admittedly close) second. Doesn't mean it's all baloney, but I wouldn't use just this source for your purchasing guide. I hear mostly great things about Origins, and having played the first few minutes myself I can say it looks fantastic on the PSP and manages to capture the Silent Hill vibe immediately.

To tell you the truth, it was that experience that prompted within me the first desire to get a PSP myself. This will never happen, but there you have it.

Right, but the most important aspect of a game like Silent Hill - call me wrong - is the story. And Yahtzee's seemingly-valid point that the story is balls holds water for me. Especially given how much time he gives going over why it's a load of horse-shit.

Furthermore, the gameplay changes sound stupid and very much done because a) "we can," and B) "we didn't have any other ideas on how to make this one noticabely different from the previous games". I'm well aware that the developers were charged explicitly with making this instalment more Westernised, but the shitty allusions to it being some kind of action-RPG now is as piss-weak as the new in-game weaponry would appear to be.

As I made mention above, the Eurogamer article didn't go into the sort of historical depth in their whole review that Yahtzee managed in 3 poxy minutes. And, seeing as he rationalised why the gameplay changes sucked (at least for him) in a way I can empathise with, I'd say he's more than likely on the money with this aspect too.

Unlike many of the other reviews, Yahtzee is clearly a devoted fan of the Silent Hill series. And the points he makes this time are genuinely insightful, informative and considered -- because he's passionate about the fiction.

And the fiction is all that draws me to Silent Hill, so if it's shit I'd like to know before wasting my money.

Message to all Thumbs

All future discussion is to be conducted in pedantic absolutes alone. Considered observation, notable exception and occaisional deviation are BANNED. :(

And stop that "thinking" and "reasoning" stuff too; it's dangerous and certain parties don't want decent, enjoyable and healthy discussion, apparently.

-~-~-~-

On a more serious note; pull your head out your arse, ThunderPeel. You've contributed to good discussion on here before, so stop fucking about with the lame witticisms of late and get back to it.

All future discussion is to be conducted in pedantic absolutes alone.

Phew! :tup:

Things were getting a bit to complex for a while, I'm glad we can now get rid of all those shades of grey ;)

----

Seriously:

Yes Thunderpeel, what's up with that? Recently, you seem obsessed with being right.

Huh? I think you need to both take your heads out of your asses. What's the problem with expressing opinions?!

I almost got flamed for saying something very true: Zero Tolerance's reviews are weak. Pathetically weak. Strip away the comedy and you've got nothing worth basing an opinion on. I was concerned that people might go take his jokes as being reason enough to buy or not buy a game. Then I was told that of course they're weak, nobody is using them for buying guides, don't be stupid...

And then one of the same people, a few messages on, is talking about not buying a game... based on a ZT review.

Taking yourself a bit too seriously eh, Wrestle? Don't take it out on me. (I notice you don't say anything to Rodi, who said the exact same thing before me.)

Nachmir: I'm always obsessed with being right, but that also means accepting when I'm wrong. What do you mean "recently"? Actually, saying that, I've not posted anything substantial here since December... What are you talking about? And what exactly does that have to do with this thread? Did you just feel like joining in on some TP bashing?

EDIT: Oh wait! This is about that Rockstar Table Tennis post from two weeks ago, isn't it? Why not just confront me instead of randomly complaining at me? I'm not attacking you WV, I respect you a great deal. All I can say that I was completely, totally, utterly and comprehensively baffled by your comment... did I not have the right to question it?

I happened to have been on the look out for Rockstar Tennis for some time and so was well aware of its price, and was very pleased at getting it for £8. For someone to just randomly complain about that price, and not even say why, just made absolutely zero sense to me: So I posted all I knew about its price and asked you to explain. Don't take it personally, it wasn't a personal attack, just genuine bafflement... which I still don't understand, incidentally. There was no malice, I'm not singling you out or anything.

Nachmir: I'm always obsessed with being right

It's not an endearing trait, you're like a dog with a bone.

, but that also means accepting when I'm wrong. What do you mean "recently"? Actually, saying that, I've not posted anything substantial here since December... What are you talking about? And what exactly does that have to do with this thread? Did you just feel like joining in on some TP bashing?

What I'm talking about is your propensity to need the last word, your tendency to assume you're on higher moral/intellectual ground, your raking of minutiae, and your utterly dogged persistence in insisting that you are right about just about anything, no matter how many counter arguments are presented. I've watched you do it to a bunch of people while I've been here, and what I mean by "recently" is that it's been more noticeable of late.

I swear -

, but that also means accepting when I'm wrong.

- it's just like you're paying lip service to the concept.

Now, the reason this has been mentioned at all, is that a few people seem to have been biting their tongues, of which I am one. Noone has wanted to be drawn into one of the recursive, argumentative vortices that tend to surround your posting here.

As Wrestle said above, you've posted some good commentary at times, but right now you seem driven by antagonism, superiority and conflict.

It's not an endearing trait, you're like a dog with a bone.

I didn't realise that not being interested in the truth was a positive thing. I didn't realise it was something that was useful in arguments, commentary or discussions. Do you find that it gets in the way of exchanging ideas and opinions? "I'm sorry, I find truth tends to cloud the issues." Huh?

What I'm talking about is your propensity to need the last word, your tendency to assume you're on higher moral/intellectual ground, your raking of minutiae, and your utterly dogged persistence in insisting that you are right about just about anything, no matter how many counter arguments are presented.

Normal discussion involves the exchanging of ideas... isn't that what Wrestlevania is asking people to do? If people respond to my opinions with counter-arguments, why should I not respond with my own opinions, countering theirs? Why is this threatening to you? It's an internet forum. It's not personal. I'm not trying to win. I've actually avoided conflict many times (including in this very thread). But I will state my opinion if I feel the need, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Sorry if "arguments" scare you. There's no malice or feelings of superiority behind them. At least not for me, despite what you may think. I don't sit around thinking I'm better than anyone on this forum... Why would I bother posting here most days, and reading people's post, if I didn't value reading what people had to say?

If I see something I think is wrong, I will say why. It's not a personal attack.

I've watched you do it to a bunch of people while I've been here, and what I mean by "recently" is that it's been more noticeable of late.

Again, please show these recent examples of me being such an incredibly horrible person.

Now, the reason this has been mentioned at all, is that a few people seem to have been biting their tongues, of which I am one. Noone has wanted to be drawn into one of the recursive, argumentative vortices that tend to surround your posting here.

Which is why you've decided to delve in full throttle, is it? Very tactfully handled. It's not likely to get my back up, or make me feel defensive, is it? Why not just PM me?

As Wrestle said above, you've posted some good commentary at times, but right now you seem driven by antagonism, superiority and conflict.

If I'm being attacked for no bloody reason, I am! Tsk!

Can I just tell YOU (since you have no problems with criticising my posts) that I generally ignore your posts because I find them unnecessarily glib and inflammatory. I'm not just saying that because I feel defensive (which I do), it's something I genuinely felt it before you posted in this thread.

It's not nice when someone clumbsily deals with their issues about you, is it?

This is about that Rockstar Table Tennis post from two weeks ago, isn't it? Why not just confront me instead of randomly complaining at me?

It's got nothing to do with that, for fuck's sake. Christ, how the fuck did you ever come to that conclusion? I've clearly restated the point I'm making about this one particular Yahtzee review several times over above already. Can I not make it any clearer? :frusty:

And the reason I didn't reply about fucking Table Tennis was because, through some utterly bizarre logic, you took my response as some personal slight. n those instances, circumstances like that are just best walked away from.

Wish I'd been able to spot it here as well...

Things are getting pretty ugly. Close this thread and ban everyone who's ever posted in it. Including me. :shifty: