elmuerte

Zero Punctuation

I took it as intentional he largely ignored the multiplayer component. Makes a change considering the majority of opinion.

I wonder, though, if the single player and the multiplayer are that different in quality, should gaming reviewers give them different scores?

That's all we need, more singleplayer games having their development time cut in half so they can rush out generic multiplayer experiences for no other reason than to meet quotas :hmph:

hehe.. nice.. I liked the various figured of speech and animations. Don't know shit about Halo3 except that I'll probably think it's average to bad compared to shooter games on the PC.

bloomsq0.jpg

Well, the Shack (i.e. Remo) did separate reviews of singleplayer and multiplayer (and reviewed both well), but of course they didn't have scores.

Eurogamer also split their single review into two parts, effectively creating a double feature--4 pages instead of the usual 2 (for premium games anyway). Sure, they ended with one score as always, but I think they justified it well by reviewing it as a complete package of two very different games effectively.

Anyway, I'll watch this latest installment of Zero Punctuation sometime tomorrow and post thoughts then. This apparent steady decline in quality bothers me though; I'm wondering if the weekly schedule is making things rather forced... ;(

Apparently this one was down in a weekend :blink: so I'm thinking yes the weekly thing is a bit pushing it but meh, not the one with the money.

Halo has been degrading in quality anyway. Halo 2 was like being stabbed in the eyes repeatedly while having your wallet stolen out of your pocket when compared with Halo 1. Maybe because it was fresh but Halo just seems to have lost what it once had.

Hilarious and right on the money. The only thing I would disagree with is the downplaying of Episode 2. I found the experience to be truly memorable and the new scientist wasn't a walrus for me at all (:D) - its such a well crafted experience with far more exposition and cinematic drama than HL2 and EP1 combined.

I'd also dread to think how long it would take for them to sit down and make a sequel to HL2, a lot longer than making episodic content I imagine. This is just how Valve work.

Isn't the explanation for why Valve uses so long to make games is that they make fucking excellent games? I think other developers should start spending more time on their games (it's that simple, right) so every game will be that excellent.

heh... yeah I doubt that the deal with that

otoh... it would be nice if game devs were given more time

Hmm, yeah, he really bashed Episode 2. I'd like to see what he thought of Episode 1. I thought 2 was a dramatic improvement, maybe even as good as the original.

Portal for GotY.

Not sure if he totally bashed Ep2, he just tends to focus on the negative stuff because that's what people want to hear. He's not always right, but he's often very entertaining! :)

For the first time in a while, I actually laughed out loud at this particular episode - the football scores joke was perfect. :tup:

Definitely a return to form for Yahtzee--and not just because it actually made me laugh this time; I liked what was said about Portal, though he sounds off-kilter with TF2 to me (still haven't played it) and unnecessarily harsh about Episode 2.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to playing all of them just that little bit more now. Thank you, Escapist and Zero Punctuation!

And I've heard on the grapevine that the 360 is going down down down in price soon, so I'll finally get my mitts on one!

(Rumors have it the Halo 3 edition (which I think is pretty, so sue me!) will be available for a mere 300 Euros.)

And I've heard on the grapevine that the 360 is going down down down in price soon, so I'll finally get my mitts on one!

(Rumors have it the Halo 3 edition (which I think is pretty, so sue me!) will be available for a mere 300 Euros.)

Doesn't sound at all ridiculous, given the rather brutal discounting/bundling which the 360 has enjoyed over the last 9 months. That's how I could justify my purchase anyway.

But... cow-vomit green is "pretty"!? :deranged:

I personally think it has become somewhat overrated :shifty:

I didn't find any of the puzzles particularly enjoyable or taxing, for me the thrust of the game developed into merely enjoying what was happening. I don't believe it truly succeeds as a game in contrast to say EP2 or TF2, and its qualities are purely (or at least out of the box; more suited) as an experience first and foremost. The credits sequence for example is entirely non-interactive and its impact isn't garnered from any of your actions but rather the pre-determined plot and characters crafted by Valve. It's also the one thing people remember the most.

There's a lot of charming interactions I agree, and the game itself isn't completely barren (if my mumbo-jumbo gives that impression) but the game.... the game itself... it just isn't GOTY material. It's something you look back on fondly as an experience - or at least that's how I see it anyway.

I do find it a little grating that TF2 and EP2 aren't recieving the same critical attention because I think both of those games achieve something above their respective stations. Portal (out of the box) was for all intents and purposes a nice modification with an hilariously charming backdrop.

Don't hate me ;(

I have to note that my opinion may be subject for change during Christmas, when I might get my hands on Nintendo Wii and Super Mario Gäläxy.