toblix

[name]'s Bioshock Review

The game begins with you on an airplane that crashes, and then you swim to a lighthouse and ride down into Rapture, which is an underwater art deco utopia with hilarious 30s ads everywhere, and where society collapsed because everyone modified their cells and went crazy.

You can use both conventional weapons and plasmids, which are biological modifications to your body, to fight the enemies, which behave just like in real life: You can set fire to them and they'll run into the water, at which point you can zap them with electricity.

The coolest enemy is the Big Daddy which is huge and powerful. It protects little girls who extract Adam, which is the stuff that modifies your cells. You can kill the girls or not, which is a moral dilemma.

You find audio logs everywhere, which makes for an awesome story, and the graphics are great.

Rating: [Five out of five stars]/[10/10]/[98%]

See the Shack's review and then all the comments complaining that there's no score at the bottom, or that the review doesn't tell you how well it runs on older PCs. I despair sometimes.

Lazy, ungrateful bastards. ;(

On a positive note: a friend-of-a-friend insisted they pay me for fixing their PC this weekend, so I slapped down a deposit on the Collector's Edition this afternoon.

I. Cannot. Wait! :D

Ah yes, this is what you want. Clearly PC game prices are for the win. :tup: :tup:

Ah, yes. Upon closer inspection it appears I'm getting the Limited Edition (i.e. tin case + book) version for 360. I'm not surprised that we won't be getting the - frankly gorgeous - Collector's Edition here in the UK...

bioshockceboxzt9.jpg

Cry me a Rapture. :\

Yeah, it's a shame as that model Big Daddy is pretty cool. Although saying that, there's nowhere I could really put it. I do like tins though; I have limited editions of Company of Heroes and various other crap and they come in big card boxes that end up scuffed as fuck. :tdown: :tdown: In fact, even my US import Psychonauts box is all scuffed. :tfart: Do you have DVD cases as standard for games over there yet?

What I meant to point out but for some reason forgot to is that the same package on the 360 on Amazon costs £10 more, which seems a bit mental. I suppose the PC overheads are generally lower, though.

On a different note, I go on holiday a few days after BioShock comes out and thus won't really be able to get into it until afterwards. God damn!!!!!

Thinking about it, are there any US game sites that do reasonable exports to the UK? I remember getting bumholed by postage/tax when I got Psychonauts, although it didn't sting much as the overall price actually still ended up less than it'd have cost me to get it when it finally hit Europe a million years later.

It might be an opportunity for UK players to get the US collector's edition thanks to a complete absence of region locking on the PC (although not much help to Wrestlevania ;().

This is interesting. When I preordered, I was asked if I wanted the limited or collector's edition, the latter being the most expensive. So I ordered that, but now you're telling me Europeans aren't getting it? So, what is it I've preordered, then?

You've pre-ordered exactly what you think you have.

Wrestlevania is .... well..... wrong. I have ordered the Collector's Box with Big Daddy statue, from GAME. It's also available from Gameplay as I know two people who have ordered it from there ^_^

Excellent.

While I still have no idea where I'll put it, clearly missing out on a Big Daddy statue is something I can't be doing. :tup:

Wrestlevania is .... well..... wrong.

What?! Never! *sob*

I have ordered the Collector's Box with Big Daddy statue, from GAME. It's also available from Gameplay as I know two people who have ordered it from there ^_^

Fucking fuck those fuckers at fucking Blockfuckster! :(

I explicitly asked for BioShock - Collector's Edition, but it turns out all they're selling is the Limited Edition (i.e. the one in a tin) plus the regular version. Minge bags!

I guess it was all a bit too much to hope for though, considering: I'm trading in my copy of Forza 2 in order to scalp the price down to £9.99. So I'm not really surprised they won't be offering the Collector's Edition as part of the deal. I'm still sure I'd read last week that only the US and Oz were getting the 360 Collector's Edition though...

Oh and with regards to importing: BioShock is being released on both formats region free. This I know for sure as it's come straight from one Irrational's staff.

On a different note, I go on holiday a few days after BioShock comes out and thus won't really be able to get into it until afterwards. God damn!!!!!

Exactly the same boat as me. Pick my copy up on Friday, but going on holiday this Sunday.

Hmm. Now I'm confused. I bought the "Limited Edition", but there's no tin. I heard talk of there being another edition (Collector's?) released exclusively in Europe and Austrailia, I think, but I assumed it was the same thing. So there are two versions? The one I got was the product pictured above, except instead of "Collector's Edition", it says "Limited Edition". Is it possible that the two are the same or equivalent products, one sold in the US and one elsewhere?

Sorry for the quality of these images, but this is the product I got. Not exactly as pictured. I bought them from GameStop (I know, I know, but I had no trouble) in the US, and it's the PC version:

cimg0022ue9.jpg

cimg0023yh6.jpg

If it's got the Big Daddy statue then it's definitely what's considered the "Collector's Edition" over there.

From what I've gathered in the UK (and going into GAME earlier), there is:

Normal BioShock, a bog standard DVD case

Limited Edition BioShock, the same as the above but with a DVD case-sized tin case

Collector's Edition BioShock, which is the big box o' goodies pictured above

I'm guessing terminology changes, but you can identify them pretty easily with the above info.

I hate how these fucking marketing assholes always screw it up. There's the Games for Windows bar that makes the case shit compared to what it would be without it, and then there's the game's score. Oh wait, in Europe the score isn't in the Collector's Edition, there's a fucking Moby CD with four tracks. Why, marketing people? Can't we Europeans handle your game's awesome score or something? Fuck this, I'm never buying a collector's edition again.

Yeah, I know. But that doesn't make it better, it makes it worse.

I hate how these fucking marketing assholes always screw it up. There's the Games for Windows bar that makes the case shit compared to what it would be without it, and then there's the game's score. Oh wait, in Europe the score isn't in the Collector's Edition, there's a fucking Moby CD with four tracks. Why, marketing people? Can't we Europeans handle your game's awesome score or something? Fuck this, I'm never buying a collector's edition again.

That's funny. While the game itself doesn't run too well on my PC (I'm going to have to upgrade), I thought the value of the Limited Edition (or "The Big Box" edition) is incredible. 10 more dollars for the Moby CD, Big Daddy figure, and DVD making-of. I was far from dissappointed.