ysbreker

Idle Thumbs Steam community

PS: We gots no Oath on dem Steams, innit.

Hoooly shit, Steam Community is terrible so far. They should have worked on it for three more months before opening to the public. You had to manually go in and pick which URL you wanted for your ID. I picked Oath, so now it works!

Yeah, you'd think that you're steam ID and your steam community ID would automatically be the same, but noooooooo...

Also, besides setting up a profile page and looking at other peoples', there still doesn't seem to be much to do.

Well the real problem is, why doesn't it automatically enable the custom URL? Otherwise the link to your profile page is some crazy 20 digit number. Like anyone is going to go "Oh yeah, 232384972839479, that guy's great!" and besides, there's no way for others to know your serial number if you aren't already friends.

"beta" is in the details. But yes; it is a bit arse so far.

As for "things to do," the events scheduling is ace. If a group you're a member of posts an event, everyone in that group gets it added to their schedule and - critically - with the event time(s) adjusted to each member's individual time zone!

Simple but great, and for this I gladly give Valve The Clap!

Here it is: :clap:

Yeah, you'd think that you're steam ID and your steam community ID would automatically be the same, but noooooooo...

The problem with that is that there are loads of us (early Steam registrants?) who have an email address as our Steam ID. Perhaps there's some technical reason why they are reluctant to allow us to change our Steam ID, so the modifiable community ID is a compromise and workaround.

My original steam ID that I use as a login points to a two-generations-old email address, yet in the options, I have it email me at my current one. :erm::hmph:

So, what is this thing? Is it like IRC, only that I have to install Steam again?

No, it's like yahoo groups, or maybe myspace, only not like those at all.

The intention sems to be to better allow multiplayer matches to be set up on Steam. Sorta like and Xbox Live friends list, but with Garry's Mod and Counter Strike. Also group chat and such. Seems like it could be pretty useful if a) I played multiplayer games more, or B) I played games on Steam more. As is, it's a decent little novelty that I'll probably use for the occasional match, but honestly will likely forget about in a few weeks.

So, what is this thing? Is it like IRC, only that I have to install Steam again?

Why don't you have steam installed? It's got a great catalog of games and it's very useful for those impulse buys. (Like the entire iD catalog, or company of heroes for very little monies)

And it's a nice way of having a chat. That too.

This thing's gone final now, and it seems pretty okay. A lot of stuff is still 'Coming soon, honest!' though, such as the superb-sounding integration of your Steam Community avatar into the games themselves.

I'm all for a better kind of system for grouping together and staying in touch in games, since at the moment pretty much every game does it its own way and there's almost zero consistency.

Does this game support buddies? How do I add them? Can I send them messages? Does it tell them if I add them? Can I see the server they're playing in? All questions I'd like to never silently ask again. :frusty:

I suggest just making the Thumbs group public so you don't have to bother with this manual adding nonsense. Most other communities I browse seem to let anyone join, and it doesn't look like there's any problem with random fuckos joining (I think there're literally too many groups now for people to bother being dicks).

Interesting development: Microsoft have quietly shelved rollout of their similar-but-piss-weak alternative Games for Windows service indefinitely... :violin:

I suggest just making the Thumbs group public so you don't have to bother with this manual adding nonsense. Most other communities I browse seem to let anyone join, and it doesn't look like there's any problem with random fuckos joining (I think there're literally too many groups now for people to bother being dicks).

If only I could find where I can set the group to public...

I got your friend invite thingie, but clicking accept didn't do anything. So I tried decline, which worked.

Anyway, I've added everyone from the IT group, but it seems I have to be invited to actually join.

Okay, okay. Invite 'Ryan' into the Idle Bums group please. :tup:

I'm not sure if that is actually my Steam ID, but it seems to be. Let me know once you've sent it and I'll confirm later.

I've noticed that with the groups anyone can join, it just says 'This group is public' at the top. So I guess there's something in the group control panel somewhere to do with being public.

You'd think so wouldn't you, but you'd be quite wrong! It's (currently) not possible once you've made your decision to then alter it through profile settings. Thankfully for Idle Thumbs the 'private' version of a group has a couple of benefits in group statistics which the public versions do not. It's nice that they omit to mention stuff like this when creating your undeletable group though!

Bit too cropped though, in my opinion. My effort's not anything special though:

idlesteamlp6.jpg

I'd have added either one to the group page in Steam already, but can't find where to do that. Perhaps only the group creator has access to this?