Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

Sneak preview: Death of a Clown

I would like to give you -the proud, the few, the faithful Thumbeteers- a sneak preview of my graduation movie which will be finished begin September. It's called Death of a Clown.

doac1.jpg

doac2.jpg

doac3.jpg

doac4.jpg

doac6.jpg

doac7.jpg

doac5.jpg

I really dig the lighting in most of these shots:tup: ... one concern though : is it heavy in CG or not ?

We had an excellent light guy, yeah :tup: The movie's not quite CGI heavy: it's intersected with the occasional animated sequence. There are also some special effects. What's your concern?

I fear the Mirrormask effect : great visual ideas going to hell because the CG execution was too slick or too photoshopy... plus, I think that decent physicial fx can really had a density and a weight to the movie's universe that only high level CG can bring.

So, what was your involvement in this project ? Writer, Set/Costume Designer, editor, Visual director or director ?

I know exactly what you mean. We're striving to make everything 'gritty' enough to fit with the rest of the footage. At the same time, the aim is to alienate and unnerve, so as a short 'art' film it's not a big problem if the two styles feel a bit disjointed.

My role in the project is 'founder' (it's my graduation project and no one else's), writer, storyboarder and co-director. I also do the animations and supervise the project along with the other director, who does a study in directing (whereas I'm an animator). For the rest there's a whole team in charge of the music and sound, special effects, editing, colour correction, you name it. It's a big project. It's very exciting. I'm still psyched that I was able to find so many people willing to support my insane ideas about the downfall of a psychotic clown :tup:

Wait,wait,wait,wait... I just noticed : is that the Meat Circus in the sixth screengrab ?!

So many breasts!

It looks very interesting and excellent. And Mirrormask was great, you fool.

Oohh, hey I want to see that when it's done. Is that possible to be arranged?

Both thumbs up for you Rodi. :tup: :tup:

We have special arrangements where a unicycle-shaped helicopter picks you up where ever you live and flies you to a specially constructed, dedicated cinema called 'The Internets' where the movie is broadcasted every hour, on the hour, for the coming forty years. Would that suit m'lord? :grin:

Hehe. If needs be I'll sneak it online clandestinely just so y'all can watch it.

brkl; those myriad plastic breasts are there just for you!

Excellent, Rodi - best of luck to you and your partners in getting it finished how you wanted it. Very much looking forward to watching the end result (and the unicycle ride).

It looks stunning!

Good thing I'm not afraid of clowns anymore. As a child, I had weird dreams about them. Thankfully, no more.

That's called 'coulrophobia', fear of clowns :) I treat it in my thesis on the movie.

I just wanted to report that I graduated last week! The teachers had some issues with Death of a Clown, but in the end they let me pass. Huzzah! In truth, they did have a point; because I've slightly overcomplicated the film by obscuring some of the narrative perhaps a trifle too much. If you're not afraid of some psychomantis supersymbolism though, you should watch it.

That is, when I get a chance to cast it online, of course :grin:

But, in reiteration, I am now a Master of Arts. Whoop!

Damn, given that I still have a decent amount of time left in my Bachelor's, I must give mad props to you, oh Master of Arts.

Hehe =) The allusions of free time are highly overrated by the way. I'm still working weekends to get all my stuff done. Damn you Captain August!

The allusions of free time are highly overrated by the way.

What time? Free? Where? Gimme gimme gimme!

Nowhere just yet. Could take another week or two (it's a bureacracy in my own head). I'll give you all a heads-up as soon as it's online.