Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

consolevania's international shared game playing thing

http://consolevania.com/creep/jillsandwich.htm

Consolevania are running a cool little thing where they played the first part of resident evil 1 and sent the memory card off to someone else to continue the game, they send it on to someone else and so on.

I thought we could do something like that, so - anyone interested?

we just need to find a console most people have and choose a game :)

I only have a Wii, so nuts to that. Something we all have is a PC. We could play Grim Fandango.

EDIT: Nuts to that for me. If you decide on a console, I won't mind, I just won't be able to take part.

Grim and other PC games won't be as suitable. For one, it works better with a game that has save stations instead of the ability to save anywhere and anytime. How would a person 'know' when to quit? Resident Evil's restrictions on saving through Ribbons make it ideal.

Secondly, one of the fun aspects is that they're sending the memory card so every plays on the same save.

I'd say something like Metroid Prime could work. It's suitably tough as well and pretty well spread. Otherwise a 3D Mario game where everyone has to get three stars or shines out of a level?

An RPG like fallout might work, but for the "where to save" thing. Imagine loading it up to find that everyone hates you :D

Oh wait, that's like real life ;(

An RPG like fallout might work, but for the "where to save" thing. Imagine loading it up to find that everyone hates you :D

Oh wait, that's like real life ;(

For games like Fallout there could be time limit. Like, "play 25-35 minutes and your turn is up". Of course, if you're wandering across the desert you should finish that, or just generally get yourself out of any other particularly tricky situation.

Doesn't the Wii support transferring save games on a flash card? The PS3 does (even with PS1 and PS2 games I think). The best thing is if you can just upload your save-game somewhere.

Very cool idea. I'd be in for any system except the PS3 that has shippable memory units. I'd suggest something for the PS2, as that probably has the highest number of thumbs with them. Though around here the 'cube seems to have pretty decent representation as well. An RPG may not be the best idea, especially one where the characters are determined by the player personality-wise (see: not a JRPG) as they simply take so long to play. Maybe a platformer? Something with determined worlds/chapters? "Finish the next chapter in Sly Cooper" or whatever.

Final concern: region coding. I don't know how many people mod their systems, but mine are still all in their "out of the box" state. It would have to be done separately by continent in most cases.

Then a GBA game is pretty much our best bet. Region-free and anyone with a GBA or DS can play it. Also, perfect for 'a level of...' whichever platformer.

earthworm jim! on GBA it's total shit so noone will mind passing it on! although it does mean you'd have to actually play it

yeah, save games are region coded =/

in that case maybe GBA or DS is probably going to be the best thing - unless no americans want to join the fun ¬¬

i can fork out for the initial cost of a cart, i dont mind doing that.

what kinda game though? maybe an rpg hmmmm.

It's going to be Zelda, isn't it?

Or... a nintendog! We can pass him around, train him something, then pass him on again. Imagine how fucked up he'll get with so many owners!

Zelda could work; everyone just take a dungeon and save after finishing it. In that case it'd be either A Link to the Past or Minish Cap. Or we wait a bit and go for Phantom Hourglass.

Though I'd want to play that one in its entirety myself :tup:

I recommend a shorter game so that the whole thing doesn't break down.

Zelda could work; everyone just take a dungeon and save after finishing it. In that case it'd be either A Link to the Past or Minish Cap. Or we wait a bit and go for Phantom Hourglass.

Though I'd want to play that one in its entirety myself :tup:

Minish Cap wasn't very good and I can forsee somebody getting the game half-way through not knowing where the fuck to go or what the hell to do because it's never clear. More so in Minish Cap. Worst Zelda game ever (Note: I have only played NES, SNES Zeldas and Wind Waker)

I think pEta would be on our asses over that one. There's no way a dog (even virtual) would come out of that without massive trauma.

What about Golden Sun? I've got the cart, can't remember where I've gotten.

It's a great idea, nonetheless.

You know what, I have the perfect game for this. I'll be willing to send it out first because I'm not touching it and it's not a game that many are likely to have played: my import copy of Band Brothers for DS. It's a music game so there isn't any story to catch up or bearings to find -- just songs to beat. It's in Japanese, but it's easy enough to figure out. And, as a bonus, if we get it beat it unlocks a music mixer of sorts so we can make a collaborative music track too.

And it's a shame that it hasn't been brought out of Japan. That saucy little bat would be a nice, new addition to the Nintendo mascot canon.