Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Your Deepest, Darkest Fantasies about... an Apple Mac

The gamer / "hardcore" PC community will never understand the point of the iMac/iBook product lines, so it's pointless to ask. You will get responses like Bobo Donkeys, talking about how it's all marketing hype and a shiny package with an underpowered computer that no self respecting PC owner would ever want. That is retarded.

iMacs are in fact computers with a very specific target audience, and its not you.

Would you buy your Mom a top of the line Alienware PC? No! Just like you wouldn't buy yourself an iMac. You should, however, buy your Mom an iMac, as, assuming she's anything like my Mom (not a hardcore computer user, just someone who wants one for email/web/word processing/sharing digital camera pictures/managing a music library) she is almost guaranteed to love it more than all the old "family PC's" your household has shuffled through over the years.

Yes Apples in general are overpriced, but iMacs aren't that overpriced considering that, for their target audience (the most absolute casual computer users), they offer a very slick seamless package both from the standpoint of the shiney package Bobo was talking about, and also in regards to the non-intimidating operating system (unlike Windows XP, MacOS X is in fact designed to be genuinely friendly to use, and doesn't claim to be "friendly" by covering its more unsightly bits in giant blue/green bubblewrap), and large pile of Apple-developed Mac-only "consumer grade" software (iPhoto, iMovie etc etc) which come pre-installed on them, and are geared towards being a productive low-intensity user.

Also on top of that, in my experience, Macs generally last a year and a half or so longer than PC's before they feel so bogged down and slow that you need to replace them. This is especially the case when you're comparing a Mac to the oft-touted-rarely-seen "super cheap PC's I could build for five dollars, this paper sack, and the lint in my pocket, that has all the features of your overpriced Mac."

The super casual-using "Mom" is an audience the Windows/PC market has been trying (and failing) to cater to for years. In my (heavily biased) and my mom's (pretty unbiased) opinions, Apple pulled it off.

G5's etc are another story, but based on this audience I don't really know if its worth the time to type :shifty:

That little rant of mine was actually taken from last years school yearbook. It was a comment that a teacher put in and I just used it here.

I'm thinking about chuking my big-ass computer out the window and replace it with a laptop. There's some obvious advantages, like, it's small and I can move it around and stuff. Anyway, whenever I think about a laptop, an iBook is what I'll be thinking of. The 12" one. Mmm, so slick, small and sexy. Not to mention, it's not that ridicilously expensive. :shifty:

Anyway, I don't play games on my computer (except for some precious adventure games), so what I'll be using it for is basically the internet, typing and downloading music. Would an iBook be the right choice, or would I be better off with a PC?

If you've got any experience with Apple's laptop lineup, share!

Considering ScummVM and DOXBox both work in MacOS X for your classic adventuring needs, I don't know why you wouldn't get a Mac :)