Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Your Deepest, Darkest Fantasies about... an Apple Mac

Tell me everything you know about Apple Macs. Am I calling them the right name? Are they cool? Not cool? What are they good for? What are they not good for? Why are they less popular than ordinary PCs? Is there much of a difference? Why don't I know these things? Why is there no right mouse button? What are the specs? What's with the sexy design?

Things like that. I need all your brain meat, fat and all.

Macs or iMacs? If I recall correctly Mac lines are long discontinued.

iMacs look so cool and MacOS X is based on Unix architecture. They're good for everything except gaming.

If I ever become a millionaire, I'm gonna get an iMac.

I have this image of Macs being pretty nice looking but useless compared to a PC running Windows.

Macs or iMacs? If I recall correctly Mac lines are long discontinued.

iMacs look so cool and MacOS X is based on Unix architecture. They're good for everything except gaming.

If I ever become a millionaire, I'm gonna get an iMac.

Noo, that's wrong. the iMac was just another model. I'm not even 100% sure iMacs are still in production. I know they make a model called the eMac now, but I know very little about it.

Here is Apple's take on the issues:

http://www.apple.com/myths/

Here is a chart showing how much faster Apples are than PC's because of their dual processor architecture:

http://www.apple.com/powermac/

They're actually better, and not just a little better, but much better. For games, for graphics, for everything. I don't have one though, because PC's are cheaper and I'm familiar with them.

Few games are developed for them but if they were and the Apple was loaded with the proper graphics card they should do very well. Independant 3d projects are likely to start popping up as multi-platform, functioning on Linux, Windows, and OSX. Blender games will because Blender is multi-platform, and other engines like Crystal space either work on Linux and OSX or are going in that direction.

The myth page speaks about a PC emulator, but I'm not sure how well that would function or how much it would slow things down.

ah, it's the plain "macintosh" models they don't make anymore. apparently the power macs and imacs still fall under "macs"

my mistake.

Wow, you guys know pretty much nothing about Apples either.

Okay, here's why I asked; because now I'm a PC salesperson, but I also have to sell Macs. And what worries me is that, while I know enough about PCs to sell them to people who know less than me... I know nothing about Apples, pretty much. And neither does anybody else where I work. One of the first questions they asked was whether I knew anything about Macs. I said something about art and graphics and software not being made for them a lot and Dave said, "Brilliant! You can be the official Mac salesperson then."

So I was fiddling around with these machines, trying to figure them out enough to convincingly sell them. The first thing I noticed was the sexy design. They sure are pretty.

The next thing I noticed was the sharpness of the graphics. It was friggin' beautiful. On the other hand, the OS seemed a little crap to use, although that's probably only because I'm not used to it. Still, all the pretty animated buttons seemed more than a little unecessary.

I'm not allowed to actually install any software on to the computers there, yet. But I did notice a distinct lack of software available for the Mac in the software section, and I'm aware that's one of the weak points about a Mac.

Anyway. Continue to speak your brain about Macs. I'm all ears.

Is it just me, or does Moosferatu sound more... confident? happier? ...these days than a couple of years ago.

Oh, I forgot.

?

I'd be happy to blab about Macs for a while if you drop me an IM. Don't really know what I'll say but...

Is it just me, or does Moosferatu sound more... confident? happier? ...these days than a couple of years ago.

Oh, I forgot.

?

Why thank you. I say a good bit less than I used to too. But yeah, my views on life in general have changed a good bit since I joined the community about a year and a half ago. Maybe that's what you notice. Who knows.

:dopefish:

Jake: Donkey's Shin.

Moos: I am afraid you are just jumping on the bandwagon with that whole Devil Worship thing.

Why thank you. I say a good bit less than I used to too. But yeah, my views on life in general have changed a good bit since I joined the community about a year and a half ago. Maybe that's what you notice. Who knows.

:dopefish:

A year and a half?? Surely it was longer than that.

I worked on a mac for three years. Started with a G3, moved to a 1st gen G4, and finally to a dual cpu G4 fancy shmants wallet exploder.

They were all garbage.

And yes, they crash just as much as PC's.

BOMB!

But yeah, my views on life in general have changed a good bit since I joined the community about a year and a half ago. Maybe that's what you notice. Who knows.
Care to elaborate? I am curious just what in the world could've been the cause of that...

A year and a half?? Surely it was longer than that.

I think I started posting on Adventure Gamers around November of my Sophmore year. I'm now a senior, so that would be about a year and a half.

Kingz, I'll elaborate if you so desire later today. I currently have no time as I'm supposed to be helping with an English camp shortly.

I worked on a mac for three years. Started with a G3, moved to a 1st gen G4, and finally to a dual cpu G4 fancy shmants wallet exploder.

They were all garbage.

And yes, they crash just as much as PC's.

BOMB!

They don't get viruses as much as PC's, to my knowledge.

The other reason they are faster (besides the dual CPUs) is because they process information more efficiently than a PC does, so the speed/performance ratio is more weighted toward performance in an Apple.

Be that true or not, the price/performance ratio still doesn't add up.

Which is why I have a PC that is optimized for high performance in other ways.

afaik people with "graphical" tasks, like people who are working for magazines, newspapers, etc... and do layout-stuff use macs for...uhm...because...hmmm...they're...hmmm...why don't you ask mr. google about macs? or visit the apple-homepage to learn about the advantages (?) of macs or visit mac-communities to study all the disadvantages. i would do so instead of posting in a forum with emphasis on electronical entertainment.

and...hahaha...3dfx built 3d-graphic-cards for macs millions of years ago.

[imagines Yufster having a drink alone in a posh club and being approached by a mysterious yet sexy iMac]

Yufster: "Jeezus Cripes, cawn't a girl enjoy her spiked rum milkshake in peace around here?!"

iMac: "But, but.....I'm mysterious yet sexy!"

Yufster [looking it up and down]: "Hmmm, well, you are rather fetching in this green light."

iMac: "Why not let me buy the next round of milkshake and we'll just chat. You know, chat."

Yuster: "Wellll, that cawn't be too slick, I suppose..."

[next morning, Yuf wakes up in iMac's bed]

Yufster: ".....ohhhh, this headache. WTF happened?"

iMac (walking into the bedroom with a Philippe Stark tray of hot coffee, croissants, and marmalade): "You were extraordinary last night!! I can't find enough superlatives!"

Yufster: "I think I have a hangover."

I'm a graphic designer.

My kind are drawn to macs chiefly because Apple pays design schools big bucks/gives schools free stuff to use and teach on their platform. Simple as that.

Yufster: "Jeezus Cripes, cawn't a girl enjoy her spiked rum milkshake in peace around here?!"

Ha ha ha. Does she really talk like that?

--Erwin

Ha ha ha. Does she really talk like that?

--Erwin

If by she you mean Trep and by really you mean not.... :shifty:

iMacs - The most useless piece of computer junk ever invented by any company. A masterpiece of marketing hype, they are sold with cute names and in lots of juicy colours. They are so pretty. Excuse me, but computers are not meant to be pretty, they are meant to be a communication device, thats what the "C" in ICT means. How useful is 'pretty' when you can't get your document out of it because Apple forgot to put in a floppy disk drive? Then theres that stupid name which starts with a lower case letter, and that awful round mouse. Aargh! Nurse pass me my medication! iMacs, however, are not totally useless. Cut off the power cord and they make good doorstops for a real computer room, full of real computers, PCs.