Sign in to follow this  
SpiderMonkey

Peter Moore called it!

...The 60GB PlayStation 3 will no longer be available in the US after stock sells out - which he predicts will occur by the end of the month.

What what what? Why would people suddenly rush out to buy all the PS3s left on the shelves if "by the end of the month" they can get something much better for the same price?

"PlayStation 3, you will see, will be far and away the winner when you look at it by March '08. They really, really will," he predicted.

"It's something that is going to be a slow burner, and suddenly it's like a tsunami; it will just overtake you."

:hah:AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:hah:

I can't believe the sheer amount of stupidity Sony is displaying once again.

so.. after the tsunami the whole market is flooded and we'll be left with a chaotic mess?

this was the most insane sony thing though

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14679

With the Xbox 360 you’ve got an inconsistent design, some have a hard drive, some don’t, and none of them have Blu-Ray, and the HD-DVD will be out of business in a matter of months.
etc

Also Sony Europe calling out the Sony America 'price cut' BS because they havent got one either. Maybe you guys should work together?

He's got a point though when he says Microsoft can't really talk about being successful since neither Xbox nor Xbox360 have been profitable... however outside Nintendo, no one's been making profit on each and every generation of hardware.

What I mean is that these are truths (getting clues from the recent data out of blu-ray vs HD DVD market and X360 return rate) in that Microsoft isn't delivering the perfect product and so such facts should be told ... except not by someone like him.

What what what? Why would people suddenly rush out to buy all the PS3s left on the shelves if "by the end of the month" they can get something much better for the same price?

Current North American PS3s have PS2 hardware in them for backward compatibility. The new models will rely on software emulation à la the European models, and therefore be less compatible.

He's got a point though when he says Microsoft can't really talk about being successful since neither Xbox nor Xbox360 have been profitable... however outside Nintendo, no one's been making profit on each and every generation of hardware.

What I mean is that these are truths (getting clues from the recent data out of blu-ray vs HD DVD market and X360 return rate) in that Microsoft isn't delivering the perfect product and so such facts should be told ... except not by someone like him.

I think each console maker does an accurate job of reflecting their personality in their console's flaws. Microsoft is not a hardware company, hence hardware failures the first time they design something themselves. Sony is not a software company, hence falling short on PSN vs XBL. Nintendo is not a technology company, hence choosing to be non-competitive on technology. Interestingly, the one that's currently doing the best is the one that acknowledged their weakness upfront.

I'm really sick of the amount of shit Sony and Microsoft are talking about each other.

At least Nintendo only resort to oblique jabs while also boosting their summer sales in a really weasely fashion ¬¬

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6410&Itemid=2

"There is no guarantee that we are not going to have 'out-of-stocks' this holiday season," said Harrison.

"If you see one, buy it. Don't assume that you can come back later and find one."

Harrison said that Nintendo is trying to find the right production schedule, but the console sells out within days whatever the region.

"We're trying to figure out what's the reasonable monthly level, and as we've seen every time we ship product to the market, whether it's on Japan or here in the US or Europe, it sells out in a matter of days."

What, me cynical? :) They may as well start jumping out at Sony and MS execs to poke them in the ribs.

I could go out now and buy myself another Wii. They've been safely stocked around here for months.

Actually, it's 2 AM so I couldn't.

Apparently they're still scarce enough around here that the guy at EB yesterday felt he had to play it like a black market transaction.

"Do you guys have that crossword game for the DS?"

"Sure. I think we've got a copy back here somewhere."

*comes back*

"Here you go. Hey, do you have a Wii yet? We got a shipment yesterday and there's still one sitting back there." *wink*

"Got one at launch, dude. Froze my ass off in -25 and everything."

"Good man."

Felt like he was trying to sell me crack...

I've been keeping an eye on wii-consoles.co.uk, and over the past few months it's gone from the top 5 almost always saying "sold out" to at least three of them having stock nearly all the time.

A few people I've known who've got one have had no trouble finding them at all. Fair enough, Ninty probably have their manufacturers running at full tilt and might not be able to ramp up for Christmas, but beyond the gloating in the news story above, I'm extremely suspicious as to why they're are saying this so far in advance... during summer ¬¬

They've probably replaced the board room with a ball pit, but with balls made of money, and inbetween bouts of hysterical laughter someone choked out "Hey, let's announce another Wii shortage!".

I could go out now and buy myself another Wii. They've been safely stocked around here for months.

Actually, it's 2 AM so I couldn't.

Yep, I bought one at GAME in York last weekend, and the tubby, 30 year-old sales assistant rebuked my scandalous doubt that they'd have any in stock, in a pedantic voice that would make Comic Book Guy proud: "Uh, we've had them in stock for three weeks."