JoannaDark

After years of stoic Nintendoism...

Finally gave in and bought a PS2. only cos they're cheap now, mind. I bought okami and its very cool, but I'm a bit lost now about what to buy. People keep trying to force games on me on the basis that i'll get "60 hours of play outta them". I'm not that cheap and don't mind a short game if its good. Any suggestions?

Ooooh another must-buy thread. We likes these :D

Shadow of the Colossus

God of War I and II

We <3 Katamari

Metal Gear Solid 3 (although it is quite long)

Ico

Rez

Kingdom Hearts I and II

Ace Combat 0

Soul Calibur 2

Guitar Hero I and II

A spread of genres there. I dunno, what kind of games do you like?

well i did love okami, bought black too but that looks a bit shite. i don't really like fps's which seems to render the ps2 a bit useless in my life...am i wrong? well i like doom and goldeneye and deus ex but i never seem to like other fps's.

Don't worry, PS2 is probably the worst console for FPS. It excels at 3D action like God of War or Tomb Raider though. Oh, TR Legends and Anniversary are probably a good bet, although I haven't played them myself.

Depends what you like, really. For a nice 2D platformer, Klonoa 2 is a must get (or the original PSone game if you can find it). 3D platformers? Take a look at the Sly games (Sly 2 is probably the best, but all are pretty good), and the Ratchet & Clank games (Ratchet 2 is the best of this lot, don't bother with Deadlocked, it just goes into dull "you're trapped in a gameshow and have to fight your way out" insipidness).

ICO, SOTC. That's about it, really. And you don't have any choice about them, they must be played.

Burnout 3 - I hate racing games but I love this one. Damage = points!

Project Zero - Very atmospheric and creepy. I think it's called Fatal Frame elsewhere or something

Rule of Rose - A little frustrating and hard to get hold of outside of France and Italy but worth it all the same

REZREZREZREZREZREZREZ!!!! *gasp* REZREZREZ!

Also, everything that's been mentioned so far is great. I'd also throw in the Devil May Cry series. I like all of them, but the most universally acclaimed is 3. They also have a 2-disc version of Space Channel 5 that's got both the original and it's sequel on it. Gitaroo Man, Frequency, Amplitude, any of the Parappa games. As you can probably tell, my PS2 was mostly used for rhythm and action games. They're the two things the system did better than any other.

I want ICO and SOTC, prob is they're hard to get hold of here. Thanks for all the suggestions! i bought god of war yesterday so yeah its looking up! the ps2 doesn't look so evil with its red eye of sauron beside the virtuous white wii anymore....

SotC shouldn't be hard to find - I still see it on the shelves over here when I'm not even shopping for games.

If I'd buy a PS2, I'd propably only buy four-five games for it

Ico

SotC

Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero 2

Katamari Damacy (though then the PS2 would have to be an imported one, or modded)

Top five games that make me grit my teeth because I wish i could buy a Ps2 and still look at myself in the mirror each morning without feeling wrong:

Virtua Fighter 4 EVo (the Ps2 still has the best D-pad of the last 10 years)

Soul Reaver 2 (might require playing the prequels)

Katamari Damacy

Shadow of the Collossus

King of Fighters 2006

The PS2's d-pad? Really? Always felt a bit floaty to me. As if you could press a direction in and move the pad around rather than roll through directions. Doing a simple Hadoken or anything that requires a transition of that type felt kind of unresponsive in contrast to the d-pad on the GCN. Granted, that pad was tiny and a bit out of place, but at least it had the right feel when you pressed it. On that note, I forget if you have a Wii or not, but the pad on the Classic controller wins the "Best pad of the last 10 years" award by several long shots in my book.

As for microsoft, let's not worry about that one. On the original pad (still one of my favorite controllers. I know, I know. What's it to you?) it looked like plastic wrap melting in the sun, and worked about as well. On the controller S and 360, it was like they made a normal d-pad but then forgot to put the controller casing over top of it. If you don't have them, try Street Fighter 2 or Mortal Kombat 3 on Live Arcade and see how long it takes you before you sigh and start to use the joystick.

I realise this is winding its way far off topic but the Gamecube controller is by far the most comfortable controller I've ever been on. It's big, curvy and very ergonomic. Everything is in the right place, especially the analog stick which is something I will never ever say to Playstation controllers. The first ones were alright but whoever designed the ones with the analog stick must've been both a freak and a moron.

Ooh! Interesting! I invested in a PS2 recently because of the dire backwards compatibility on my 360. It seems llike I'm supposed to buy Shadow of the Colossus! Cool.

So far I've picked up:

Some BUZZ game (one of the controllers doesn't work, though... I've already taken it back once.)

Dirge of Cerebus (I liked FF7)

Final Fantasy X and XII (see above)

Street Fighter Alpha Antology

Kingdom Hearts (with hopefully number II on the way)

Metal Gear Solid 2

Plus my gf picked up Singstar.

So far I've played almost none of them.... *sigh*

Yes, you are supposed to buy Shadow of the Colossus. God and/or Science will hate you if you don't.

I still can't find sotc OR ico. this is gonna be an amazon job. i have to agree with the gamecube controller, or to be picky the wavebird is pretty cool. at least you don't have to press r2, square, circle, square, stick in, stick around, stick around other way to make special moves.

I've just been on a buying-classic-games-for-systems-I-didn't-own rampage, including SotC and Ico. Amazon is still selling new copies of Ico, but I had to resort to Amazon Marketplace for SotC (no problem finding copies though). Now to actually get a PS2/PS3... :blink:

I've also bought We Katamari for the PS2, and Metroid Prime I & II, Wind Waker and Pikmin 2 for the GC. Oh, and I guess RE4 for the Wii counts. :yep:

Except then usually, you don't :) I've still got loads of really good GC games lying around that I've had for many years now and never got around to play. Stuff like Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, Resident Evil remake, Prince of Persia, Viewtiful Joe 2, Starfox Adventures, it goes on and on. And then I haven't even touched on DS games.

I've only ever done that once. I owned the original Katamari before getting my PS2. Even then, I knew I'd be getting a PS2 secondhand within a month.

Yeah, I bought Shadow of the Colossus while I didn't have access to a PS2. Had to be done.