Sign in to follow this  
DanJW

MASSIVE HYPOCRISY! It's in the game

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=79207

WTF!!

Is this a case of the left hand punching the right hand in the face? (man I'm awesome at metaphors).

Spaff informs me that "John Riccitiello is fucking hardcore" - nevertheless he fails to mention Madden, or any of the other EA franchises that makes them the worst fucking offender of exactly what he is talking about.

It's like that Fast Show sketch, with the men being EA and the Woman That Men Can't Hear being the rest of the game industry.

I read this more as an admission of guilt. EA is doing some interesting stuff these days to compensate. Army of Two, Spore, Spielberg IPs, Boogie, and stuff that hasn't yet been announced.

Maybe it was an admission of guilt, but if so it was heavily veiled.

Maybe it was an admission of guilt, but if so it was heavily veiled.

I think it's more like "we've been doing this and it's not going work for much longer but we're not going to apologize because we aren't the only ones responsible and we are in fact going to change". So it's an admission of guilt without any actual remorse.

An apology starts with "I" or "we" not "they" or "the game industry"

I'm sure they don't feel remorse because the approach has earned them craploads of money so far. Making more innovative games will make them feel warm and fuzzy, but they'll only be doing it because that's how they think the money will have to be made from now on.

Whatever their reasons, I won't complain if we start seeing more interesting games from them, but consider me a sceptic due to their recent restructuring into four divisions, one of which is The Sims. So, should we just expect the new, interesting stuff to appear in addition to all the yearly rehashes?

Whatever their reasons, I won't complain if we start seeing more interesting games from them, but consider me a sceptic due to their recent restructuring into four divisions, one of which is The Sims. So, should we just expect the new, interesting stuff to appear in addition to all the yearly rehashes?

And of course, they follow this up by announcing... a new football game!?

Trickery I say! Goddamn the way EA has completely corrupted the meaning of "new I.P."

You know what would make a good American Football Game? The opening scenes of The Last Boyscout...

EA apparently has a Game Innovation Lab. :eek:

They showed off a project at E3 (under indie games showcase for some bizarre reason). Didn't seem too impressive. Blurry black-and-white images, low-pitched single notes, random slow-motion videos of birds flapping their wings and other creatures. Like Myst without puzzles or plot, vague constructs without mystery or meaning. Basically gave off the vibe of a massive corporation's idea of "deep art."

http://www.areyouindie.com/showcase/profile.php?id=8

"Your browser is not normal, you may experience some problems. Feel free to google for Firefox."

Ahah, my Opera isn't "normal".

Oh, wow. That was horrible. The motion blur filter was particularly nasty. The whole thing felt like watching a really bad student film - you know the type where you feel proxy embarassment from just being in the same room that it's playing?

Oh, wow. That was horrible. The motion blur filter was particularly nasty. The whole thing felt like watching a really bad student film - you know the type where you feel proxy embarassment from just being in the same room that it's playing?

couldn't agree more

Oh god, it is like the worst bits of a fine art degree show.

The blurb only had to mention "mystic’s journey towards enlightenment" before I was choking on my fist. Funny how so many artists seem to know what enlightenment is, and that it's all about dreamy music, trees and water :finger:

Wow. It really looks so incredibly dull to 'play'. I mean, I'm not even talking about the massive levels of pretentiousness in the imagery. I'm talking your bare bones gameplay functionality. Why is everything so slow? I understand you'd want to give the ffect of walking in some kind of lucid dream environment with very suggestive and provocative visual cues, but I don't think that ghosting effect makes for a very good game if you use it constantly.

Maybe I just don't understand art that well. But I do understand games, and whatever this was, it wasn't a game, but it was pretty effing boring.

Read: "Our profits look like they might begin to fall, let's take do some research. Gee, it turns out that the public has caught up with all those moaning critics who complained about formulaic re-releases. Plus there's an older generation of gamers emerging who don't have the free-time to develop the skills necessary to become proficient at stupidly hard games. They've got money, as well. Guess we should do something 'new' and 'exciting'."

What shocks me the most is how many publishers are looking to replicate EA’s success by stifling innovation and squeezing old (quite) good ideas and IPs for all they can. One thing they seem to forget is that the original of many of EA's serial games are well made and often innovative and that is why they were able to capture peoples’ loyalty, allowing the cash in to commence in subsequent years. Another flaw in this plan is that there seems to be a growing apathy towards the homogeneity currently present in games, observable through EA admitting it needs to employ new strategies.

It really distresses me how much of the money within games seems to be controlled by those that have little appreciation of quality; I assume this is often because they are not gamers. It is still probably one of the few industries you can enter while holding the product of the industry in low esteem. (I’m mainly thinking of executive and post-development roles and I assume this will change as gamers become more varied an numerous)

That video is the fucking worst thing I have seen.

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THAT THING