Sign in to follow this  
BooJaka

de Blob

Anyone heard about this game yet? The IGN hype seems pretty interesting and, like they say, a nice break away from the torrent of ports that have been coming to the Wii.

Especially check out the videos

It's utterly amazing what happened to The Blob. I'm in the same year as the HKU game design students that made it and I was working with them in a team when they (and the school) had talks with THQ about the acquisition. Right now the guys are working on a new project that very much has the same philosophy as the Blob had, but sufficiently different of course.

As for the THQ Wii remake, I'm curious towards it but can't say anything yet. Could be good, could be pish.

I am very proud that this came from the Utrecht School of the Arts (it's where I also got my game design degree). Also their course leader (at the time) is a colleague of mine, so this feels pretty close to home.

I played this game and it's good!

It's a fun game, just too bad they never finished it (e.g. nothing happens in the end).

They did finish it, it just didn't have a traditional ending. Admittedly, it's structurally not the best way to pace a game, but then it was never meant to be played for longer than 15 minutes as a way to do some advance recon on the post-construction Utrecht inner city.

I forget where I heard about it (probably here, maybe on 4cr or something) but I did download and play it. Was pretty fun, although I'm wary as to how it'll morph into a full retail release. I don't know if I could justify spending $40+ on it unless there's quite a bit added. Geometry Wars Galaxies has the right idea. I hope De Blob follows the same kind of development.

EDIT: Whoah, freaky. Immediately after posting this, I think "I should go see the latest on 4cr." So I head that way. And the second item down is a preview of De Blob. I guess I heard about it here, although that's a pretty weird coincidence.

RRRResurrected

Because of sad news that the developer Blue Tongue Entertainment has been closed down by THQ, because apparently de Blob 2 was a commercial failure and the HD versions didn't sell like was hoped.

http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/396911/game_over_thq_shutters_thq_studio_australia_blue_tongue_entertainment/

Also THQ Studios Australia was closed down at the same time.

Shame, I really liked de Blob on Wii. :(

Did the original Dutch team work on the Wii versions?

No, they had nothing to do with de Blob anymore. They're currently working on Awesomenauts, which is looking pretty sweet if you see the trailers.

Shame about the THX plant. De Blob was pretty nice!

Wow, Awesomenauts looks really good. I like the art style a lot, the only disappointment in the end is that there's apparently no PC version planned.