Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

The World of Warcraft TCG

Oh crap. World of Warcraft has me again, but this time in a much viler, more dangerous and intense way:

The TCG.

Let me back up: ten years back, I was a huge card game nut and spent thousands of Euros buying heaps of cards. Sometimes I played with them (somewhat justifying the ridiculous amount of money I spent on Pokémon cards), but most often not because if it ain't Magic or Pokémon, nobody plays it (for the above loophole reason). I finally, thankfully grew out of it when I lost sight of the one person I regularly played with, and suddenly realised how much money I spent on useless cards.

And now it's happening again. I bought a few boosters of the World of Warcraft TCG this week and since then I've had two feverish nights where the cards were lodged into my mind. Serves me right for spending hours on forums reading stuff about them like a real troll, I guess. But I'm in a rough spot: no amount of reason can stop me from being infatuated with this game. Even though I have no one to play against yet, no money to spare and the knowledge that the game probably won't be worth the cost. But at the same time, it takes me right back to the unimaginable excitement of buying a booster and the possibility of finding rare cards within! Not having felt this in years, I couldn't sleep because of it yesterday! Jesus. Also, the art on the cards is occasionally nice, if it isn't trying too hard to be glossy MtG-style art. And I've got a gameshop around the corner with friday evening tournements and casual competition, opening up the possibility of gameplay. Oh, and I have more of a connection to the game than I have to Magic, because the former has the distinct tincture of World of Warcraft which I like, whereas the latter has 'fantasy' as its only canvas, which makes it erratically free and chaotic in what it can do. I find it really compelling to have a card showing the Eye of Killrog, a spell I used 11 or 12 years ago in a Video game and have loads of memories of. It makes it a lot more special.

Now, I'm going to try to keep this under control: buying only a few boosters and a starter deck for the first two expansions and then only a bunch of boosters for the coming ones. Just so I can keep up and up to date. I don't feel the need to collect every card (except the epic rare Leeroy Jenkins of course, which makes the game 150% more awesome because you have to shout his name mid-play to use his ability), so I can keep it under control. So... it's not all bad, though it goes directly against my recently found non-materialist asceticism. I guess there must be exceptions.

And damn. World of Warcraft has me again. I am Blizzard's bitch.

ten years back, I was a huge card game nut and spent thousands of Euros

...there weren't any Euros ten years ago, were there? :mock:

But at the same time, it takes me right back to the unimaginable excitement of buying a booster and the possibility of finding rare cards within!

It's like gambling...

Hahahah TCGs!

Now tabletop wargaming, there's a hobby/addiction you can really spend a fortune on... ;(

I used to be pretty huge into Magic 8-10 years ago. I still play occasionally, but luckily I no longer have to spend the cash on cards myself. Buddy of mine has a ridiculous amount of cards, and actually plays in tournaments for prize money to buy new ones, so his hobby now finances itself. I'll go over to his place, we'll just grab one of his boxes of cards, each take a handfull. Voila, two decks. Game on. He also happens to work at a game shop that hosts Friday Night Magic tournaments. I often have more drunken things to do on a Friday night, but every month or so I'll stop by and play. Still fun, so I hope you can find a good group of people to play with. The whole reason I stopped playing the first time was that I realized I had this huge stack of cards and only knew one person who played. And he didn't play much.

Hahahah TCGs!

Now tabletop wargaming, there's a hobby/addiction you can really spend a fortune on... ;(

I tried Warhammer 40K for a year or so, and all I can say is...

YES.

Gah. The building and painting of the models was fun an all, and they actually turned out fairly well, but in retrospect, couldn't the gameplay have been effectively duplicated without all the miniatures.

I once had an Ork army made up entirely of paperclips with eraser vehicles. I was in high school and didn't have a job, so I made do.

A local toy chainstore halfed the price of Dark Portal boosters. The upside: Score! Cheap cards to swell my budding collection! The downside: the expansion set (and possibly the game in its entirety) is going out of mainstream circulation.