Roderick

Stupid free newspapers

So out of curiosity, which charities do you guys give to? I support Amnesty International and give ridiculous money to the super awesome Clinton Foundation but that's about it.

I signed up for small donations to CARE and the WWF through street teams but I stopped donating to them, as I don't feel confident enough about whether these organisations make real lasting differences.

Save the Nazis gets most of my support with Mao's “What to do if your first born is not male” also getting a bit of ginger cash.

I wanted to make a joke about supporting a chatroom whose first initial’s are CATLOOL but got scared that the peado police would come and rape me.

On a serious note amnesty gets my support and once I'm no longer a dirty student an African one of some kind, probably one that focuses on a single problem, such as malaria, TB or HIV.

Go with Clinton Foundation! They're the badass mofo's who brought the price of AIDS medicine down at least 50% by negotiating with the manufacturers, and they had smart business people help them move from selling little for much to selling lots for little. They rule.

I donate to Unicef. I should probably raise the monthly amount a bit since I'm making more money. I probably won't be giving to several different charities for simplicity's sake.

Red Cross/Red Crescent. I know people that object to them for complicated political reasons/conspiracy theories, but in the end hosipitals are hospitals and medicine medicine.

We don't give on a regular basis, like via bank transfer or anything. But we've adapted our habits to incorporate charitable organisations for everyday things where possible. For example: we use Oxfam's '118' telephone directory service whenever we want to find out a number, instead of using the Internet or the phone book.

Otherwise we donate for the televised stuff directly, and my wife likes doing the "phone vote = donation" thing on reality TV too.

We also help with the charity drive for our local groups, mainly the education-focussed ones.

I like Oxfam, but my dontations are unfortunately minimal due to my being (as Ginger so eloquently put it) a dirty student. That 118 thing is a brilliant idea. Do they have some equivalent in North America that I was unaware of?

I've only ever donated some small amount to the national cancer fund out of sheer terror for the disease, but nothing truly altruistic. I too made it a point to start donating as soon as I have enough money to support the lifestyle of my choosing (which isn't particularly luxurious or anything). This is not at all a valid excuse because I could spare a bit already, but I don't because I guess I'm lethargic and aloof towards these things. Not intellectually, but emotionally.

Could we not make this into a "dirty laundry" thread? I know I already responded in kind, but reading others sequentially justifying what they do or don't give to charity is making me feel uncomfortable. Mainly because I don't like the idea that other Thumbs may now somehow feel obliged to do likewise.