Roderick

Stupid free newspapers

Yours are great, but those of hippies aren't, because they don't wash them because they get SO CAKED FULL OF DIRT AND ROTTEN FOOD that to wash them would actually harm the environment.

DanJW, yelling at a girl until she cries just because she's handing out leaflets isn't cool. I'll yell at YOU until YOU cry like a girl.

The Metro is there for people on buses, train stations and on the underground for commuters so they aren't bored as fuck going to work each morning and can read some news. The Metro we have is basically the news from the Evening Standard the night before, it's nothing special but it's not the worst paper in the world. I don't think I could have spent a year commuting up to London if I didn't have the Metro to read each day. Also I'm a stingey cunt and wouldn't have actually paid money for a paper each day.

DanJW, yelling at a girl until she cries just because she's handing out leaflets isn't cool. I'll yell at YOU until YOU cry like a girl.

Yes it is, specially in the case of Jehovahs.

The trick is to get the older one to cry.

Yeah, if the older one starts crying the younger one can't help themself. I still remember being a young child and watching my dad, upon being asked "Does Jesus live here?" say "I'll check." before turning and yelling "CHRIST! YOU STILL ON THE SHITTER?"

It's moments like that that'll shape a person.

hahahaha

I once opened the door wearing a certain Rob Zombie shirt that had the text "Satan is my fucking co-pilot" on it. They didn't stay long, for some odd reason.

Yes it is, specially in the case of Jehovahs.

The trick is to get the older one to cry.

Because I was one but left, they see me as some kind of devil spawn now. So much fun when they knock on the door :grin:

The Metro is there for people on buses, train stations and on the underground for commuters so they aren't bored as fuck going to work each morning and can read some news. The Metro we have is basically the news from the Evening Standard the night before, it's nothing special but it's not the worst paper in the world. I don't think I could have spent a year commuting up to London if I didn't have the Metro to read each day. Also I'm a stingey cunt and wouldn't have actually paid money for a paper each day.

forgive me for being cynical but those papers are just advertisement vehicles. and the worst thing about em is that in dublin the train stations don't even have any recycling facilities so all the papers just go in the regular bin. and on rainy days the floor of the train turns into some sort of papier mache installation mush.

Well, erm... of course they are. They're not going to just print millions of those full-colour papers, hire the staff to write them, and distribute them out of the kindness of their hearts are they?

Granted, I've never read Metro, nor do I think I ever will as I enjoy getting an extra half-hour of sleep on the train, but I can see how giving all those passengers a free way of filling that half-hour+ with some reading material isn't exactly something to be lambasted. Even if it is kind of trashy and kind of 80% ads.

Nick's opinion FTW.

Yeah, as an idle activity to kill commuting time it's nice -but still as dreadful as mindlessly watching junk TV at night when you don't want to go to bed. It's only a small effort to take a book with me that will actually make me that much smarter, sharper, or more entertained. And if that fails, it's time to whip out the auld DS, which never fails to provide the best console experience a man could hope for.

Also, that Pac-Man skull is effing creepy. Good show!

We have Metro here too, as well as in London (I was under the impression it started in London, but I might be wrong). It think it's one of them there entreprenurial success stories, probably responsible for all the copycats as well.
Metro started in Sweden, in fact.

And although I am linking to Wikipedia, I actually have read it elsewhere before.

Don't shout at the poor cunt that is getting pennies to stand outside and tout to the cuntish general public. Being horrible to the individual will do nothing except upset the person that is trying to scrape by on shitty wages, is it really that hard to walk past and say no thank you once a day? If it really bothers you enough to shout at someone until they cry start to campaign to change the practice, get people to stop accepting them, lobby your MP or MEP (as that is the sort of shit they get hard for), don't just vent your anger on some grunt, u cunt, and then think that you are really cool and making a difference.

(Please excuse my language I spent 2 days with builders, fucking working class cunts)

Yeah, you may as well just go to a restaurant and repeat the word "cunt" very loudly, upsetting the staff and patrons.

Oh.. wait...

Also, these touters are like nazi soldiers; they can't claim no responsibility for the machine of which they are part.

But killing or sparing one German soldier didn't have a big effect on the War on Nazis and Japs and Italians (Some of the Time).

No, but it is an acceptable subject for a video game.

What I'm saying is, would anyone really mind if we made a game about killing free newpaper touts?

Also charity pushers.

No, but it is an acceptable subject for a video game.

What I'm saying is, would anyone really mind if we made a game about killing free newpaper touts?

Also charity pushers.

Ooh, yeah it could be like a kind of reverse Paperboy! Paperboy 2: Householder's Revenge. Go to it.

Yeah, you may as well just go to a restaurant and repeat the word "cunt" very loudly, upsetting the staff and patrons.

Oh.. wait...

I haven't done that.... I think.

I agree with Ginger, here. I absolutely don't see the big deal about people offering you newspapers every day. It's not like they're being impolite. In my experience they offer it once, you say "no, thank you." or even just shake your head, and they back off and go after someone else. It's not hard. It doesn't ruin ones day, or anything.

Making people cry ruins someone's day, though.

I guess spam is okay too then? So you get spam, and I guess if you want you can then send a message back saying "I don't want any spam!", which will probably bounce, and that's the last you'll hear of it that day! Until the next day! Awesome!

Free newspapers == spam.

Making someone cry is harsh and stupid but karma neutral in this case, I think.

Yeah but as was established earlier, these newspapers are quite valued by daily commuters who can't be bothered dragging/buying their own reading material and just want something to fill the gap. Spam is typically not bundled with something you'd actually find any value in.

Plus, paper/charity pushers are just people looking for part-time work that's flexible and would rather be out and about amongst people than in some trashy shop or McDonald's. I know a couple who have done/do it and they're certainly not deserving of any contempt.

Unless you're a big wuss who doesn't like saying no to people and just awkwardly walks past trying to act like you can't hear them, there's really no issue with just smiling and saying "no thanks". :fart:

On a related note, at Nottingham train station you often get companies like Adidas or whatever giving you free cans of deodorant and milk, etc. Can't complain about that, even if it is a calculated risk to instil your confidence in the brand. :tup: