Nick

No Spore till 09

tfo.gif
spiraldy3.gif

These are absolutely required :)

Also, the entire story about Spore delayed until '09 was just a rehash and misinterpretation of the (much) earlier news about a delay until fiscal '09. A bunch of game news sources are going "oops" this morning.

Man, I never noticed you live in Nottingham. I'm in Nottingham right now! spiraldy3.gif

No you're not:

:mock::getmecoat

And yeah, I can't recall much about Spore that didn't come from those presentations, but the way they were showing it off felt like a calculated move to give people no option but to go crazy with hype. A good job on their part, really, but in light of the delays could end up hurting them more.

Spore has been hyped about as much as Duke Nukem Forever. That is, it really hasn't at all. That doesn't stop "the internet" from bitching about how the game has been hyped to death though.

The presentations for Spore were a part of Will Wrights GDC speech. They tied directly into what he was talking about. I guess he did some presentations after that, but again, the hype has been very minimal.

Another laughable point the internet has informed me about is how the game will look like crap by 2009 and/or won't be very special. Incorrect on both counts. The beauty of procedural content is that enhancing the graphics is literally a matter of changing a couple of numbers in the code, and recompiling.

As for how "new" the concept will be ... even if the game came out in 2010+, it would still be fresh! Apart from some indies, nobody actually has the balls to pull off what Maxis/Wright are doing now. It's the same reason Lionhead/Molyneux will always have the godgame genre to themselves. B&W was in development for 4 years ... during that time nobody had the balls to step up to the plate and beat Lionhead at their own game.

Spore isn't your typical game, so it doesn't follow the typical rules of development. I reckon all these delays are either due to balancing issues, or fleshing out the gameplay. Just give Maxis the time they need to put something special out.

SiN

Well, it won't be much good if we look like this!!!!!

Skeleton.jpg

Hahahahaha, superb. :tup: :tup:

Also, did they actually hype Spore or was it just the community going crazy over their demonstrations (which I don't think can be counted as hype)? I sincerely can't remember.

How many presentations and talks have you seen of Wright making about Spore? He talked about how awesome it is with freaking Brian Eno, amongst others. He talked at TED. They are fully responsible for hyping this game so far in advance of the release. Dennis Dyack might have been right :shifty:

Thrik, what is it with you and remains? First Pac Man, now this. Can't anyone just rest in peace with you around?

smilies added:

:tfart:

:spiraldy:

Great... how I can finally play BDLA again express my feelings with a smiley

yeah... web 2.0 and game 3.0 ... can't wait for webgame 5.0

How many presentations and talks have you seen of Wright making about Spore? He talked about how awesome it is with freaking Brian Eno, amongst others. He talked at TED. They are fully responsible for hyping this game so far in advance of the release. Dennis Dyack might have been right :shifty:

I'm going to have to agree with you here. You don't have Robin Williams come up and demo your game for a crowd for any other reason than to hype your product. Well, and maybe to demonstrate the ease of controls.

Well... on the other hand I think this has been a huge experiment for EA to see if they can get mainstream PR for a video game. Turns out they can. NYTimes, Colbert Report, etc. etc.

I hope not everyone has forgotten about Spore by the time it comes out.

I don't mind them taking more time if it makes the game actually as good as promised, though. And I have the feeling that their ambitions have been scaled up somewhat from the first GDC demo, e.g. now this whole thing has to work cross-platform as well.

I don't mind if they take their time, but if it comes out asking for Vista only or higher specs than I have (I can still run any non Vista game pretty well) and I need to upgrade, I'll just forget the game exists.... or buy the DS version... :mock: