Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

Prince of Persia Classic

Funny, considering Pac-Mac:CE is the only one that isn't just a remake.

I guess that's why I got disappointed. I expected some really awesome stuff, and while the fruit powerups were cool, it didn't really save the game...

Having said that, I really liked POP, POP2 and the SOT series, so I'm probably biased towards it...

I didn't actually read much of this thread before my previous post or click any links... but now I did and...

Damn, I want this game! I'm tempted to get an Xbox 360 just for this (and Gears of War, and I think GTA4 is coming on the Xbox first?).

Same day, but 360 is the only version that's getting DLC. I believe the rumor is that it cost MS something like half a million dollars to get that secure.

Well, I played it and it was great! But not a 100% improvement, I agree with most things ThunderPeel said, especially in this post: http://idlethumbs.net/forums/showpost.php?p=78409&postcount=14

The movement has a more parkour like flow and the prince has picked up a few moves from Sands of Time. Some really amazing moves can be done, for example at the end of level 3 (before waking the skeleton), as seen at 00:28 in that trailer that was linked to here. I didn't remember this from the trailer, so it was cool to accidentally discover this in the middle of the game! :) Also going back up the same route in a fluid way is fun.

The combat is much less deterministic and feels pretty random. I don't like it. In the original, the combat was hard, but masterable. I played it so much that eventually I could finish the game with only three lives and without drinking any health potions. In this one, almost every fight could be my last (at least from level 4 onwards). Actually, I've gotten better at it already, and if I take all the time I need, I can probably win most fights, but I always keep wanting to rush them like I used to in the original.

On the whole, I'd say that the game is about as hard as the original, with the jumps made easier and the combat harder. I dislike one restriction: you can't take the combat off the screen where it starts in any longer (or lure the guys into another place). This was a useful speedrun tactic in at least the first level :)

Having said that, I really liked POP, POP2 and the SOT series, so I'm probably biased towards it...

You liked Prince of Persia 2!? I can't beat that game or even attempt to without getting really stressed out and frustrated. I much prefer the first game by far.

I think I remember an Idle Thumbs review about Prince of Persia 2 that was pretty spot on from what I recall on how frustrating it was. There was also a hilarious one written about Alone in the Dark. I think I'll go back and read those...

ca 25 minutes in Time attack mode! :) Of course, actually with the retries it took probably more like 3 hours. Of course, time attack mode seems easier to get good times as it resets the clock on restarting each level (or did the normal mode do that as well?)

Not sure where that puts me in the leaderboards, as I wasn't connected. I should get the wi-fi peripheral tomorrow.

Yep, spot on about the combat. It's far too annoying. There's strategies, but it's not as rewarding as it was in the original.

And WHY couldn't they have squeezed the original in? It's 800K for pete's sake! Ok, they'd need an emulator, but still, only for one game. I'd could have happily lived without any of the shoddy sound effects, annoying takes on the original music or pathetically directed cut-scenes. Ah well.

It's still a jolly good conversion, in all.

Hmm generic name. Advertising free online games, talking about cellphone games...

Spam?