Sign in to follow this  
twmac

Bitmap brothers forever

Okay, from a very random reference when i did some work for another company, there was going to be a really fuccking awesome Chaos Engine game which you could play 4 player Co-op on GBA except the company went bust.

Bitmap brothers have announced that they are doing a sequel (a true sequel to the Speedball 2) on PC... and maybe 360.

Please, I work for a testing company. I love this game. If anyone has any links with the remake, I would test this game for free.

This game is number 2 overall in my favourite games ever made, I would work all and any hours.

The true sequel to Speedball looked utter crap from the screengrabs that were posted on their site. It was also originally announced about 7 years ago. I hope this isn't the same sequel, and I hope they get Eric Matthews, and the others, back for it, this time.

The XBLA version of Speedball 2 is the thing to look out for, though. I hope they don't fuck it up like they did the PlayStation version...

Here's my want/don't want list for the XBLA version:

- 2D graphics are probably good enough, but if they insist on 3D, keep them clean, fast, smooth. The PS version used 3D graphics, but all it did was slow everything down and make it unclear what was going on.

- If they're going 3D, why not use some rag-doll physics to increase the brutality when people get tackled. As long it still feels weighty.

- DON'T add a shitload of interactive things on the pitch, the ones that were there worked. More != better.

- DON'T make the pitch 300% bigger, just because you can.

- DO make the crowd cheering intense. It was always great when you scored and the crowd really went wild. Pitch invasions at the end of the match could be cool, too.

- DO work on making great AI.

Last and not least:

- DON'T make it all colourful... The sleek greys of the Amiga version still look the best after all these years. The orange and purples only ruined the cool, steely, cyber-punk atmosphere of the original. Make it look cool! :tup:

I can't wait for this and the new Prince of Persia, which looks great!

EDIT: Why is this in the feedback forum?

I wouldn't hold out much hope for anything more than a simple reskinning, just like Double Dragon, Rush'n Attak, Prince of Persia, etc.

I doubt they'll even do anything with the sound, but I'm quite happy to be proven wrong. I just hope it plays as well over a network connection as it did sitting next to my mate in front of his Amiga.

And never was there a game more deserving of this smiley... :gaming:

The Chaos Machine... tear. It was great on the PC, those classic titles like Z!, they would be great to bring onto Xbox. Having that said, I bought Super Smash TV because I remember LOVING that game to bits, and well, sorely disappointed.

The Chaos Machine... tear.

It was an engine, mate. :buyme:

And for anyone who was even remotely curious about it; the mobile version looks great, but plays like shit.

meh, I just wish they would make a new Z game. One of the best RTS's ever, and hilarious to boot.

Man, I must have been drunk when I wrote this thread, I don't remember any of this.

Well the good news is that everything that i have managed to dig up on the game is that it is identical to the original. None of this 'punching opponents while holding the ball' shit. The leagues have been expanded I don't know how many (hopefully it isn't just one additional league), The colour scheme is pretty faithful as witnessed by certain screen shots.

What worries me, it seems to be a completely perfect port. Which brings up a couple of issues. The bugs, I love Speedball with all my heart, but there is an exploit whereby you can stand in a certain position and bounce the ball off one of the bounce nodes that give you points and the computer won't stop you, I have racked up over 900 points that way. The second is that the defensive players tend to react incorrectly and it is easy to exploit them in two player.

If this is a direct port these will be there.

On my wish list:

If it is true about the expanded league selection, it would be nice to see a Championship manager style evolution where teams move through the leagues and the competition changes drastically. Why not give it a cup final at the end of each season. Twould be genius.

Somebody.... please move this thread into the gaming forum!!!

Hmmm... I hope they add a 2-player league/cup option. The original game DID have a management mode, if you remember, but I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about?

Yessum! This thread's hit the right forum... Anyone else interested in Speedball 2? I have to say that I'm a little let down by the fact it's literally an emulation of the Amiga version... but hopefully they might "spruce" it up in some way. At least the gameplay should be good!