JoannaDark

Guilty pleasures

Wow! First thread!

So we just got back from Spain there yesterday, where we spent an inordinate amount of time trawling through arcades trying to find some hidden gem that we could somehow convince the proprietor to have shipped over to us. We didn't, although we did find a cardboard cutout of mario to take lewd pictures with. All the old shite games got us thinking about other old shite games, that nostalgia has recreated as timeless classics the likes of which will never be seen again, but in reality, were a bit shite. ExistentialistJones' one is bart vs the space mutants. mine was this game i had on the amiga when i was a kid called colorado. I'd spent soooo long rhapsodising about this game, and then when i eventually found it again, i had to admit after about five seconds that it was pure and utter crap. and not in a techie way, some of my favourite games are ancient! just in a...crap way.

But i'll still find the time to play through it again.

Any contenders for worst-but-best game ever?

Given the recent trauma of playing the Double Dragon demo on Xbox Live Arcade, I'd say that has to be a pretty strong contender.

Not quite sure I get your point, though. Care to embellish?

Bart Simpson vs the Space Mutants.

Best but worst. And emphasis on "worst". But also, emphasis on "best"

Yes, I'll add a third vote for Bart vs Space Mutants.

I loved that game, while simultaneously being well aware that it was terrible.

Yes, I'll add a third vote for Bart vs Space Mutants.

I'd like to, but I was too young to know better.

My most recent guilty pleasure was playing Mortal Kombat on a Master System.

So is this thread about games that have aged?

more just about games that you're nostalgically attached to but are shit. one of my friends here is after offering toejam & earl, for instance.

Dragon's Lair. I played it like a million times, never getting past the third or fourth screen.

Uh, there's probably more, but, unlike some, I'm not one to make lists of shit games.

Joust is still great. But I never even played that as a kid.

Rocky Rodent for the SNES. Some cheap Sonic ripoff that got put onto a nintendo system to compete for attitude points. As I recall, he was out to save some aryan looking bimbo by using the power of hairspray cans to give him killer style that he'd use to fight his opponents. The mohawk that could be thrown like a boomerang, for example. Such shit, but I can still hear his digitized "YEEEOWCH!" when I think about it.

Starship Titanic is a pretty lousy game but I still enjoyed it because it was by Douglas Adams.

And Battletoads, even though it took me 15 years to get past the third level.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Arcade Game would also be one to nominate I think.

As opposed to the first NES TMNT game, which was just plain shit.

more just about games that you're nostalgically attached to but are shit. one of my friends here is after offering toejam & earl, for instance.

Also, JoannaDark, what exactly are you saying about Toejam & Earl? There's nothing guilty about that pleasure.

I'm sure I've got loads of these mofos that, even at the time they came out, I could never really recommend to anyone... Can only think of one right now, though...

Billy the Kid

God knows there's more!

Anyone play Lost Dutchman Mine on the Amiga? Back in the day I always played all the games aimlessly, never really trying to win. Like that game, Persian Gulf Inferno. Did they expect you to be able to complete that game in one sitting? Those crazy motherfuckers.

If we're including recent games too, I should really mention Earth Defense Force 2017 and God Hand, two of the best awful games I've played in a while.

I played Lost Dutchman Mine on PC. It's positively awesome. I think I spent half of my childhood playing that and Jones in the Fast Lane from Sierra.

Lawnmower Man games are god-awful but I remember them fondly.

but... I don't play games that are crap...

or at least, I don't think they're crap...

err....

Yeah but I'm not nostalgically attached to it. And that was what this thread was about. I was only playing that game to complete the PoP story line.. sort of. But I'll never play it again, but it was annoying as hell. As a matter of fact, I bought and finished Darwinia while I was still trying to complete PoP: WW.

OK, this one definitely falls under the category of "guilty pleasure." I'd always told myself that if Stubbs the Zombie went under $20, I'd give it a shot. Well, I discovered earlier this week that that's now its price on Steam, so I downloaded and am playing it now. Aside from some frustrations getting my 360 controller working with it, it's wonderfully dumb. Shallow gameplay and purile humour, but still clever enough at times and still fun enough to keep me going. It's actually quite a bit of fun. I don't feel particularly smart or enriched while playing it, but I'm not about to stop.

I bet loads of the Atari/Amiga games I loved are actually pretty shit. When you're a kid you tend to enjoy anything, and develop really good memories about them regardless of whether or not the games were crap. I don't think a lot of people realise this as they don't go back to them.

It's like I absolutely loved the Dizzy games, but I tried emulating one a few years ago and it actually started to corrode my good memories immediately. I wiped out the entire emulator so my memories could stay intact, which they wouldn't have done if I'd kept on playing and erased my hazy and nostalgic mind's memory of the game.

Some weirdly survive like Monkey Island, but the majority of 80s and early-90s games I've had a look at have aged badly in every conceivable way. :(

At least we had original games, though. Loads of kids today will grow up fondly remembering a billion cheap kid film games.