So they went and announced a new Starcraft game.

During the past few weeks there were some wild and crazy rumours about it being a MMO game, but as it turns out Blizzard isn't stupid to compete with their own product (WoW) and Starcraft 2 is going to be a traditional RTS game.

Lead designer is Dustin Browder (C&C: Red Alert 2, C&C: Generals, Emperor: Battle for Dune, The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth)

This will sell at least 5 million in Asia alone.

Any thoughts at the moment?

Well, at the moment it's a trailer and some basic gameplay footage that noone outside of the conference has seen, so I'm not willing to say anything yet aside from that I'm very very glad that I won't need to do what I've been doing with the Warcraft universe of late. That would be listening to people I know who play the MMO to keep myself up to date on the mythology of a game world I love without actually playing the game because I don't like the genre. This way I'll be able to see the story of the game firsthand! That's enough reason for me to be excited right now.

Also, the lead's pedigree seems pretty solid. Never played Emperor, but I heard much good. I'm actually reinstalling Starcraft right now to get my old-school on in a bit of celebratory campaign mode. Off to sit through some Terran tutorial missions and then get my RTS on. :gaming:

Heh, now that the announcement has been made my enthusiasm has gone again. In anticipation of at least a year of waiting no doubt. Glad to see a singleplayer game though! Now I hope it'll be a purer RTS again and not incorporate the RPG bits of Warcraft III. I also hope the game will manage to radiate the same charm as its ancestor, something I thought was lost in translation when WC3 went 3D. So, a lot of hopes and a lot of waiting still to do.

Where are those trailers?!

Grrr... the vid keeps cutting out at 2:51 for me. I'm sure it's just crazy heavy traffic right now though. Man, between C&C3 and Starcraft 2, I think it may just be time for me to get back into RTS gaming. IT's been a while.

What?! Some people actually thought this would be an MMO announcement? Amazing.

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/imgs_1.html

Some high resolution screenshots from the game itself, not the cgi announcement video.

Ok, very pretty. The style doesn't seem to be drastically altered either, which is a plus. I also kinda dig the new Zergling design with the wings and all. Look like big angry termites.

Just two things that I'm a bit wary of. First off, I really hope that the game isn't too multiplayer focused. Warcraft III had a nice long campaign with a nice long expansion, they'd better keep that up as I'm nowhere near good enough at RTSs to enjoy getting thrashed repeatedly online. Second, those shots all seemed very Terran campaign-y. By this I mean all on barren rock and sterile space stations. That could get quite dull quite fast. A return to Aiur or an Aiur-like world would be nice. Maybe even some new stuff. Anyone else curious to see how the Zerg would cope with underwater battles?

The homepage has high quality videos of the two videos from the event, the cinematic and the artwork trailer.

I had at the moment only time to check the artwork trailer, it also had couple of seconds of gameplay video in it.

Also featured on the website are 10 screenshots, some artwork and three wallpapers, the plain logo one looks rather nice.

Oh come on, Miffy, of course there'll be diversity in maps etc. This is just a single testdemo. It's futile to start worrying over it. It does however bring some nice insights. SC2 will likely stay very true to the original qua design, adding perhaps a bit of Supreme Commander with that big Protoss mothership. Though I estimate the other races will employ other tactics. Blizzard already confirmed that they're making them even more distinct from eachother than before. That's awesome to hear. They're also promising a 'unique' singleplayer, but that may just be hyperbole. So, I'm actually quite confident that it will be exactly what I expected. Hopefully it'll then manage to surprise and enthral more than other samey-sequels did like New super mario and CC3.

Also, Marek; I didn't think it very likely, but an MMO of sorts was certainly not out of the question, especially considering Blizzard already stated something new on that terrain is coming.

Well, one announcement down, two more to go this year.

I can't believe no-one has said it yet, so:

ZOMG!!!11

I'm just saying that more than the staple "Desert, Technological haven, Fields" tileset would be nice. Given that that's all that many games will give you, I don't think that that's too irrational a concern. Nice to hear that about the Single Player campaign though. The reason I stopped playing a lot of RTSs in the first place was that it was beginning to feel like the campaign was just a tutorial for when you got into online play.

Warcraft 3 was a great game, and still to my mind the best single-player RTS (what with the storyline, cut-scenes, scripted events etc). I have no reason to believe that Starcraft 2 will be anything other than a step forward from that.

Warcraft 3 was a great game, and still to my mind the best single-player RTS (what with the storyline, cut-scenes, scripted events etc). I have no reason to believe that Starcraft 2 will be anything other than a step forward from that.

True enough. It's been 4 years and I can still pretty vividly remember the final cutscene from the Orc campaign. Damn that was good.

Does anyone else find the theme of Starcraft II to be boring and outdated? It's... space marines... with cigars on their mouths and catch phrases? Kind of reminds me of Duke Nukem, and I don't mean to insult the greatness that will be DNF, but starcraft feels like it's 1993 all over again.

More of the same yay!

Does anyone else find the theme of Starcraft II to be boring and outdated? It's... space marines... with cigars on their mouths and catch phrases? Kind of reminds me of Duke Nukem, and I don't mean to insult the greatness that will be DNF, but starcraft feels like it's 1993 all over again.

More of the same yay!

Heh, well it always was reminiscent of a particular dark future where there is only war. From that cinematic it looks like the sequal might be even more space-goth.

I wouldn't worry though. Blizzard aren't known for making errors of judgement when it comes to style.

I wouldn't worry though. Blizzard aren't known for making errors of judgement when it comes to style.

While I agree and greatly look forward to Starcraft 2 and any other Blizzard games, they have been bleeding talent for a while. Though their legacy makes recruitment a cakewalk, they could suffer for not having all their old top people around.

Can I say that I'm not at all impressed by the ingame bits they show in the artwork trailer? I think Relic already did this and much better. I mean Warhammer 40k: dawn of war looks at least as good as starcraft 2 does now. I'd rather have a W40K sequel. Not withstanding I'll most likely play starcraft 2 when it comes out and enjoy it very much. Relic entertainment is so incredibly underrated it's not fair :/

Agreed. Relic is the shit. Although I never did get around to Company of Heroes, everything else they've done has impressed me greatly. I doubt they'll ever quite get back to the genius of the original Homeworld, but they do keep on coming close.

Had the announcement been Homeworld 3 from Relic, I'd be emptying my bowel in my seat right now, unable to contain more than just my excitement.

Starcraft... meh.

Looks like Starcraft in 3D.

And if you look through alle the infos, they aren't announcing anything new...only some ultra mega balanced, super graphics with hippy laser beams, competitive multiplayer (maybe they got some kind of korean tv sponsoring) bla bla... NOTHING NEW. I mean, there's not even a new race; even Warcraft 3 had a new race.

Of course, between now and launch time there will be something like 100 more announcements...but how can you make a sequel without improving at least a little something gameplay-wise?

And what's with that Gears-of-War-macho-with-cigar looking intro...I liked that starcraft ghost chick better.

We already hate your game, again, is it? Here's an idea: why don't all the whiners here wait for another year when they'll actually have a GAME to judge, instead of just a deliberately marginalised bundle of feature tidbits. Until then, quit pissing on the fun of those who are goddamned happy there's a well-deserved sequel coming to one of the finest games ever created.