Is this just so that people will have low pings when competing or is there something else I'm missing?

That's what I'm assuming

Have been playing with friends 4vs4 against strangers. Tons of fun. :D Lasted 40 minutes, constant back and forth but in the end we proved victorious! They went with masses of marines. I only built 2 colossi, because I was on anti-air detail, but together those colossus killed 100+ dudes during the game. :clap:

Really impressed with the overall package. This game is definitely going to last me a while. :D

Just finished it and thought I'd throw in a bit of fanboy love for this game. I thought the singleplayer campaign was extremely good because gameplaywise they really spiced things up since Frozen Throne (everything's so smooth) and storywise I love how the game feels very 'personal',

focusing on Jim Raynor and through his love arc with Kerrigan and hate arc with Mengsk really capture the grand scale of this sci-fi setting.

I do agree that Dr. Hanson kind of got the shaft by disappearing halfway, but with characters like Tychus and Matt in there, oh man. And call me a fanboy, but when Nova appeared I freaked out. This game knows how to hit all the Starcraft buttons.

The whole zone restriction thing is a bit odd. I played with someone from South Africa today, because they apparently are a part of Europe :eek: and we had no latency problems whatsoever. On a Sunday afternoon. And somehow I can't imagine the connection between Europe and Africa being better than between Europe or Asia and the US.

I think the true reason is something along the lines of additional monetization. If they let me add a second SC2 copy to my BNet account, fair enough. A $20-40 one time fee would also be acceptable. But a monthly fee for crossrealm play would be pushing it a bit too much for my taste.

Quick question: Do the marines keep on smoking the cigar inside their helmets when the visor is closed?

If so, I will buy this game immediately. If not, I will still have to consider.

I'm surprised at the level of childish or plainly silly opinions about Starcraft 2 going around. I've personally heard garbage in the line of Starcraft Isn't A Real Game, but already geared towards the next two instalments: 'Why should we pay full price for Heart of the Swarm when we already have the multiplayer?'.

More aggravating is judgement that Starcraft 2 is 'old-fashioned'. The genre has moved from base-building to squad-based gameplay, so for some that's reason enough to dismiss Starcraft 2 as a dinosaur with the immediate implication that therefore it's not that good. It boggles my mind that people don't understand that:

1. Starcraft 2 is a remake of SC1 in gameplay terms.

2. It's not trying to be any other genre than the classical RTS.

Even Tycho called Starcraft 2 tentatively 'cowardly' for not innovating as opposed to Warcraft 3. Although his point is defensible, it's one I vehemently disagree with. Cowardly is in the intent: if people are trying to remake or update something as true to the original as possible, and the original was as close to perfection as a genre could get, how is that cowardly? How could they have improved on those goals by adding new things?

I completely agree.

I've been playing this game everyday since launch and it's so good. This game will be played for a long time to come. :yep: I've added you, by the way, we'll play sometime. :tup:

I'm surprised at the level of childish or plainly silly opinions about Starcraft 2 going around. I've personally heard garbage in the line of Starcraft Isn't A Real Game, but already geared towards the next two instalments: 'Why should we pay full price for Heart of the Swarm when we already have the multiplayer?'.

As a game that defines its multiplayer AROUND THAT it's a throwback to the PERFECT RTS though?

People will latch onto anything...:tdown:

What's everyone's Battle.net name or whatever? Let's play someday!

What's everyone's Battle.net name or whatever? Let's play someday!
check out the Multiplayer forum, there's a SC2 thread with ids in it already.

I completely agree.

I've been playing this game everyday since launch and it's so good. This game will be played for a long time to come. :yep: I've added you, by the way, we'll play sometime. :tup:

Fucking sweet. I suck, but look forward to playing :) (Right now I'm doing singleplayer on hard mode. Amazing how much fun it still is, the second time around. These levels are among the best I've ever played. That rising lava level? Absolute perfection.)

So this is a bizarre thing that I discovered while watching the cutscenes on DVD. There's a UNN broadcast somewhere with some quick snippets of news, and then there's THIS FRAME spliced in at some point. I managed to capture it on my camera.

ridinghorner.jpg

It appears to be a flying Matt Horner being ridden by an unidentifiable other person. Obviously designers having fun with the models, but what does it mean?

It appears to be a flying Matt Horner being ridden by an unidentifiable other person.

Hmmm, I think that is Nova. Maybe. That is hilarious though.

I find it wierd that so many characters look like they spawned from some JRPG: And the choreography and acting of Ariel and Valerian is super Japanese.

FINALLY ! Finally someone else notices it too ! I've been telling my friends it feels like the game has been made by an Asian studio. Even Raynor looks like something out of a JRPG (he kinda looks like a southern Solid Snake). I don't know what it is. Ariel in particular could be replaced with any annoying female character from the first Metal Gear.

Finished the campaign ten minutes ago. I thought it was decent, much like anime there was a LOT of filler. Out of the 26 missions I'd say at least half had nothing to do with the story at large, with no consolation in the form of any character development AT ALL. Tosh may be the only character that isn't completely one dimensional, and even he is meh at best. Tychus is interesting but clearly expendable to the overall arc of the trilogy. The character development was nonexistant, and all went as predicted. To think I'll have to play through another two games to find out what happened. The first Starcraft was just soooo much tighter , 10 missions a piece, all plot all fast paced. This one kinda dragged on, which confirms that the necessity of three games to tell the story is complete bullshit. This game has low-hanging fruit written all over it.

Anyway, to sum it up : Blizzard has sold out. Now for some multiplayer.

In the director's commentary on the DVD they clearly state they're all fans of anime and incoroporated some elements of it, at least in the animation of the cinematics. To be fair, I didn't think it was that Japanesey. I thought it was more directly reminiscent of Mass Effect infused with a dose of Warhammer 40k.

I have played something like six missions so far and haven't been blown away yet. I am not sure what I expected from this game. I guess I thought I would be so awestruck by the production values that I would forget that "traditional" RTS games might not be my thing anymore (I got tired of the new Red Alert in five missions or so, for instance). Even though none of the missions I have played so far have been that typical, everything just feels a bit too familiar, and I haven't even touched the original Starcraft. I also hate haste in games and this game seems to be all about haste.

The ship is pretty neat and it feels nice to be able to "relax" there for a bit after each mission. I would probably talk with the members of the crew too, like I did in Mass Effects, if most of the characters weren't so stupid. For example, who the fuck let Egon on my badass ship? I appreciate things like stubbing out the cigars on the monitors, though.

Still, the game is pretty enjoyable and I will hopefully complete the single player campaign one day this year. I hate my pile of unfinished games.

I just won my first online match. 57 minutes of hell, rife with errors and stupid mistakes, but I pulled through in the end.

I did not like the ending of this very much at all. Short rant follows (do not read if you haven't finished the game):

Maybe it is silly to get too invested in the story of a game like Starcraft but Kerrigan (as Zerg) is my favorite character in the series. So now if she is going to be "cured" through the rest of the series then that is pretty disappointing for me, especially considering Zerg is the next campaign. I was thinking the entire campaign would be focused around her but I don't see what they are going to do now. I just think for such a major character in the series she was not featured near enough if that is the end of her.

Overall though I obviously thought the game was great. I'll probably play through the campaign again once I finally get a new PC as it was chugging on my laptop.

I did not like the ending of this very much at all. Short rant follows (do not read if you haven't finished the game):

Maybe it is silly to get too invested in the story of a game like Starcraft but Kerrigan (as Zerg) is my favorite character in the series. So now if she is going to be "cured" through the rest of the series then that is pretty disappointing for me, especially considering Zerg is the next campaign. I was thinking the entire campaign would be focused around her but I don't see what they are going to do now. I just think for such a major character in the series she was not featured near enough if that is the end of her.

Overall though I obviously thought the game was great. I'll probably play through the campaign again once I finally get a new PC as it was chugging on my laptop.

I don't know, I don't disagree with you, but the ending just didn't bother me.

More aggravating is judgement that Starcraft 2 is 'old-fashioned'. The genre has moved from base-building to squad-based gameplay, so for some that's reason enough to dismiss Starcraft 2 as a dinosaur with the immediate implication that therefore it's not that good. It boggles my mind that people don't understand that:

1. Starcraft 2 is a remake of SC1 in gameplay terms.

2. It's not trying to be any other genre than the classical RTS.

Even Tycho called Starcraft 2 tentatively 'cowardly' for not innovating as opposed to Warcraft 3. Although his point is defensible, it's one I vehemently disagree with. Cowardly is in the intent: if people are trying to remake or update something as true to the original as possible, and the original was as close to perfection as a genre could get, how is that cowardly? How could they have improved on those goals by adding new things?

Well, its more like, why remake ? If I wanted to play a game like starcraft 1 , I would play starcraft 1, the game is too good and is still playable today. Classic RTS was great, but it still has its issues, there are still gameplay problems they could have addressed. The singleplayer is not at all better than the original, the multiplayer is the same, and the game doesn't even run that well. Why is Starcraft 2 a good game ?

You said "Cowardly is in the intent" , well I say they intended to make money, not make a better game. The only thing they did improve is the graphics, thats it, and I'd argue that the original is still better in that regard (in terms of art at least).

The singleplayer is not at all better than the original, the multiplayer is the same

I don't agree with this whatsoever. The single-player missions are far more varied and well-tuned in my opinion, and the persistent tech and research component adds a dimension I really enjoy.

The multiplayer is based on the same gameplay dynamic, but it's not "the same." There are new units, removed units, more race-specific mechanics, better support for various types of queuing, and any number of other things that don't fundamentally change the game but certainly make it much more playable in 2010. Going back to StarCraft 1 would be very difficult for me at this point.

Then there's the challenge mode, which has absolutely no point of comparison in the first game, and the mapmaking and modding tools, which will clearly produce a far more diverse level of output than the first game did.