toblix

Awesome DS Games

I'm always on the lookout for new and exciting games for my DS. The last one I got was Minish Cap, which, you might find interesting to know. Other recent games I've gotten are Rythm Tengoku(?) and Hotel Dusk. I'm thinking about getting Diddy Kong Racing DS, since I liked Mario Kart DS (although I finished it really quick and haven't looked back), and I'm hooked on Picross DS (navigating Japanese menus are one tenth of the fun!).

Does anyone have any secret tips on cool DS or GBA games that I haven't explicitly said I own? Any top down 2D adventure RPGs or addictive puzzlers or crazy rythm stuff, or maybe a cool platformer. Remember, I didn't much like Castlevania (why? Because the levels and enemies were all the same, everywhere and then you die and lose everything, and I fucking hate that piece of shit Trauma Center, but I liked Drill Dozer (which someone here recommended) and I bukkake all over stuff like Zelda and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.

Wait a minute! Maybe I should finally get that first M&L game! Yeah, that's it.

Anyway, don't mind my particular preferences. If there's a fantastic DS game only you know about, the rest of us want to hear it. I think almost everyone here has a DS, right?

I'd contribute with a game myself, but, uh, I have to go.

Get that Witch Touching game, and tell us what it's like.

Osu! Tatake! Ouendan still bathes me in coruscating waves of awesomeness.

The multiplayer minigames of New Super Mario Brothers are also fucking ace (if you can *cough* nag someone you know into buying a DS :))

Osu! Tatake! Ouendan still bathes me in coruscating waves of awesomeness.

...and its impending sequel! Can't wait.

What are your feelings on Tengoku? Liked? If so, and if you don't already have it, Warioware Twisted is great. Give a try sometime soon.

Tengoku was cool, but once I'm done with that kind of game, I'm done. That's why I like games like Phoenix Wright, Zelda and Mario & Luigi so much. I want to play a game once and still experience all the stuff. Games that are based on being played over and over, like Meteos and Tetris, I get bored of quickly. Points and high scores and unlockables don't interest me much.

Personal recommendation is to NOT get Diddy Kong Racing DS if you played the N64 one. If you didn't play the N64 one you will get more enjoyment out of it, but you still might not like it. The DS version still has all of the fun of the original, but it's become buried under shitloads of pointless touch screen addons - you have to "spin" a virtual wheel or propellor or whatever to get a boost start, which is poorly deisgned. How are you supposed to control the kart when you leave the starting line?

The adrenaline-pumping Silver Coin Challenge has been replaced with a "touch balloon challenge", which is nowhere near as fun. Pop balloons with the stylus while riding on a magic carpet in first person view. The Silver Coin Challenge is still in the game, but is not an essential part of gameplay - it's just a bonus unlockable. For people who hadn't played the original, the Silver Coin Challenge had you searching for eight Silver Coins hidden on the tracks - you had to get all eight AND place first, which made for some really exciting and tight races later on.

Speaking of unlockables, everything is now unlocked with currency, giving the illusion of "replay value". You have to re-race and rub trees with the stylus and do loads of other pointless shit to earn money so that you can buy all of the cool features that the game promises that it can do. Boo.

Finally, the game has vehicular upgrades (which you have to pay for, of course) that can improve your vehicle performance. This is fine, except that it ruins balance for online mode - anyone who has obsessed with the game and played it loads will have an unfair advantage over someone who hasn't. You're not all given the same level playing field in terms of vehicles.

So there's my ranting taken care of. Sigh.

It's kind of an old and predictable thing to say but I'm playing Final Fantasy VI at the moment for GBA and really digging it. I only played number 3 on the DS before that (none of the SNES versions or the PS/PS2 versions) so it's still pretty much all new to me. Plus, it's the last 2D one so that's gotta mean something to you.

I'm having lots of fun with Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, standard castlevania stuff though.

Trauma Center isn't bad either, but I stopped playing it because of some stupid touchscreen issues (the lens tool is really a pain). :fart:

You didn't mention Elite Beat Agents and Super Mario 64 DS, both AWESOME.

While I realy enjoyed the original SM64 on the N64...I found the Ds controls really unsuitable for the game.

Also, I found Metroid on Ds quite boring also, mainly because of the uninspired level design...that's a shame because unlike SM64, they really found a perfect FPS control scheme.

Oh, and I'm enjoying Final Fantasy tactics (GBA), it has a great battle system but you have to stand the uninteresting plot.

Oh, and I'm enjoying Final Fantasy tactics (GBA), it has a great battle system but you have to stand the uninteresting plot.

I played that for a bit and then got sick of it when I realized that there wasn't really a story at all. If you like that type of video-enhanced-Chess-like stuff, you'll like it.

I FINALLY finished Phoenix Wright 1, and I'll probably play some other stuff before diving into the second one. The only other game I've really gotten to play is New Super Mario Bros. and yet I have a ton of Thumb recommendations sitting around waiting for me, including Contact, Meteos, Hotel Dusk, Mario Kart and Feel the Magic.

I also got Bomberman for $10, because as long as it's not Xtreme and it has an eight-player mode, how bad could it be? It's Bomberman, after all!

Don't waste your time on Contact. I did, and it was by no means worth it. You should sell it.

The same could be said for Feel the Magic, unless you got it cheaply. It's fun while it lasts, but let's be honest here: The games themselves aren't anything special at all, and when you're done with the game, after 3-4 hours maybe, you really are done. Boring to play again.

Now, let's get down to business. I'd check out the following:

Kuru Kuru Kururin (GBA)

It's Mr. Pants (GBA)

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All (DS)

Advance Wars (GBA)

Advance Wars: Black Hole Rising (GBA)

Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (GBA)

Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (DS)

Metroid Fusion (GBA)

Metroid Zero Mission (GBA)

Tony Hawk's American Sk8land (DS)

Metroid Prime: Hunters (DS)

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (DS)

Kirby: Canvas Curse (DS)

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (DS)

Elite Beat Agents (DS)

Super Mario 64 DS (DS)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (GBA)

Polarium Advance (GBA)

Also worthy of attention, although perhaps not as good as the above are:

Ridge Racer DS (DS)

Pac'n Roll (DS)

Polarium (DS)

Yoshi's Island (DS)

Wario Ware, Inc. (GBA)

WarioWare Touched! (DS)

WarioWare Twisted! (GBA)

Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble (DS)

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

I just bought the Blizzard classic Blackthorne on the GBA for a paltry 8 Euros in the Mediamarkt in Utrecht. It's fun. It's definitely an aged game with limited potential, so it's only for those like me that have nostalgic feelings towards it.

Of course, it's also one the most bad-ass game characters: an 80s rockstar-looking Conan with a shotgun that comes to liberate his enslaved people -but you can (and will) instead opt to blow every last one of them their brains out. Also, the backwards shotgun blast manoeuvre has not been seen since or before, and should be exploited at every possible convenience.

The same could be said for Feel the Magic, unless you got it cheaply. It's fun while it lasts, but let's be honest here: The games themselves aren't anything special at all, and when you're done with the game, after 3-4 hours maybe, you really are done. Boring to play again.

No. :finger:

...in seriousness though, this is still one of my favorite games for the DS, and we're almost up to 3 years since it was released. I can play it over and over without it getting dull. The style and variety of the games makes it win. I realize the opinions are mixed, but at least give it a try if you're looking for something unique. Can you rent DS games? I've never tried.

YMMV I suppose.

Feel The Magic (Project Rub here in the UK) is worth a look for the visual style alone, but I found finishing it a relief.