Sign in to follow this  
loonyboi

This forum depresses me

Everyone here needs to lighten up.

I've been lurking for a while, just reading, not posting, and it seems like in the last couple of months this forum has gone from being amusing to downright depressing.

Every thread is about how much <subject> sucks. It's depressing.

Find something you like and try talking about that for a change. Otherwise it's just a giant, depressing bitchfest.

I suppose the only excuse I could offer up (in general) is that it's the slowest time of the year in gaming, now that The Balls-Kneeing Robot lays slain. :violin:

Did I mention how shit Double Dragon is on XBLA?

this forum has gone from being amusing to downright depressing.

Every thread is about how much <subject> sucks. It's depressing.

Find something you like and try talking about that for a change. Otherwise it's just a giant, depressing bitchfest.

Dude. I was all excited about Catan and the Halo 3 beta and the new Crackdown content and then the spring update came and bricked my XBox. You'd be depressed too ;(

You got bricked? That's the first one I've heard about. Hard luck man, you have my sympathy. If it helps, here it is 9:00 (hell, 11:00 Eastern...) and the content has yet to hit for Crackdown. I was really looking forward to tearing it up with that tonight too...

Also, Loonyboi, what exactly has been depressing? Was it all the pictures of kittens?

What?!?!?!?

Sure, we have teenagers murdering people, other kids kicked out of school for making maps on Counterstrike. SNK Playmore sucking big time (although DOki doki is number one seller in Japan, the japanese are fucked up).

But not every post is negative, maybe you find yourself more affected by the negative posts, and you don't give a shit about VT3, pictures of kittens, Kingdom under fire: Heroes etc. But it isn't all bad, is it?

The problem with games is that I find it much easier to articulate what I dislike in a game than what works well.

For a 'good' game, there are many factors that combine to provide the enjoyment. But as soon as you come across something annoying, it's jarring and obvious what the problem is.

Hence, I have to stop myself from making posts like "game X is awesome, but with the following, detailed list of its flaws: ..." The solution is just to take the time to think about why the game is awesome, which usually makes me appreciate the game even more.

The problem with games is that I find it much easier to articulate what I dislike in a game than what works well.

Aha!

Did I mention how shit Double Dragon is on XBLA?

NOOO!! say it aint so....

I was very excited to get this when I saw it a couple days ago.

havent yet... just to spite the OP, please do tell why <subject> sucks.

<subject> in this case = Double Dragon on XBLA

On the plus side, this week's addition to Live Arcade is free, so w00t to that.

Downloaded the Double Dragon demo, but have yet to play it. Any word on the quality of Eets? I enjoyed the demo but I'm not sure if the concept could carry 100+ levels.

Double Dragon is nasty because it has none of the refinements from subsequent versions that made playing the game actually worthwhile. The controls are still the sticky original setup, where the action of the game comes not from on-screen, but how well you can sequence your button presses. It quickly descends into being an excercise in oblique frustration, so having this title on Live Arcade serves no real purpose whatsoever.

The graphics have been redone for HD, but I personally don't like the style at all; charmless, glossy (in terms of production) and utterly sterile. You can revert back to the original art assets if you wish, but the game looked like shit on just my traditional CRT telly. I can't imagine how awful the original graphics would look on a decent HD set...

At this point, you could perhaps accuse me of being incapable of seperating the romantic memory of Double Dragon from actually playing Double Dragon. Which is fair enough, given how so many people romantacise about old games. But my response would be to go play River City Ransom EX on Game Boy Advance; it's a very similar title, but still brilliant fun to play even now. The original Double Dragon on Live Arcade on the otherhand is just uncomfortable and even a bit embarassing.