Thrik

"Ooh, a news post about Spore. It's meant to be out this year so it should b:- FFS!"

"However, seven years after development started rolling, EA awards our patience with a possible delay until the beginning of 2009’s fiscal year. However, this is only big honkin’ execuspeak for “Q2, 2008″. That’s still too far away, man! I understand that games like Spore take time to develop, but, come on. I have an incredible urge to make a butt-shaped creature with butts for hands, butts for feet, and butts for eyes. It poops to see."

And thus my ":)" at just upgrading my computer becomes slightly ":(".

http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2007/05/09/spore-is-delayed-again/

Of course it'll probably be better as a result, but jeeze.

Of course it'll probably be better as a result, but jeeze.

Either that or they're trying for a simultaneous cross-platform release.

Yes feel free to just wee all over the minuscule silver lining I had guys. ;( ;(

Well this sucks ass.

If they're not careful then someone will nick some of their ideas in the meantime and it will be a whole lot less special when it arrives.

makes you wonder if they already planned "Spore Forever"

My god I'd completely forgotten about Duke Nukem. Is that still not cancelled? I swear in 50 years time I can imagine sitting round a capfire telling my grandchildren grandnephews & grandneices the tale of "ole Nukem Forever", said to swim in the deepest waters of 'tinternet.

grandchildren grandnephews & grandneices...

What makes you think you'll be sitting around a campfire with my grandchildren :shifty:

I would guess that, because Prey was a significant commercial success, 3D Realms might actually have ramped up production on Forever with a view to finally getting the game finished.

I know one of their head hombres was quoted very recently about DNF, basically saying:

Yes, we're really regretting ever showing this title early. But that doesn't mean to say we don't still like it.

Honestly, I'm hopeful that we'll still see it. I miss the Duke...

I very much doubt that DNF could possibly be as good as it should be after that long in development.

Spore will still be completely awesome, although I think (for me personally) the excitement will drop continuously until about a week before it's actual release. I have an image in my head of very smug looking men thinking 'They love waiting for our game. Everyone is happy.' Well I'm not happy, I'm just frustrated. Wipe that stupid look off your face.

Is it really that bad that Spore is pushed to 2008? I don't think so.

This just gives us more time to play other games and do other not games related stuff. Because when Spore is finally released, there's most likely not going to be time for anything else. :)

I may be totally mistaken, and I'm far to tired right now to do any actual research, but I thought i heard somewhere of some company/person offerring the makers of Forever some kind of bonus sum of money if they could finish it within some deadline, recently.

:erm:

The paragraph above appears to make no sense but I assure you I heard something like that.

Spore is not a 2007 kind of game. It's too cool.

2007 is an uncool year? Aw man. I was kinda looking forward to it last year. Oh well, only 6 months until 2008. It had better be dayum cool.

The Spore delay is fine if they're doing it to make it a better game and/or make it work on multiple platforms simultaneously.

I don't know what's going on at Will Wright's studio but you could guess that they've been focused on building the tools, catalogs and animation systems for the creatures, buildings and vehicles, which has probably been going well, but the big meta game isn't as compelling.

They recently recruited Soren Johnson of Civ IV fame which is as significant as someone like Sid Meier helping out on the project. I'm hopeful Johnson hasn't been assigned to a Spore port or platform-specific spin-off but is in fact helping flesh out the strategy portion of the game.