Sign in to follow this  
elmuerte

New low: kid expelled from school for creating a counter strike map

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/4766843.html

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5263782

She [student Jordan Schlafer] said, "If somebody can make a map like that of the whole school, I mean, it does kind of scare me a little bit, and make me wonder, you know, what else they could do."

[...]

Mary Ann Simpson. "There were players in the game that were armed and the purpose of the game was to shoot and kill."

[...]

They called the situation a 'terroristic threat.'

The police also confiscated a hammer as a weapon...

yep good shit... you simply can't make this stuff up

Oh for fucks sake.

It's things like that this that convince me even further that Ethics ought to be taught in all schools (along with Psychology and possibly other apsect of Philosophy). Seriously, the general public (and especially public officials like school boards) are clearly ill-equiped to deal with the kind of moral cunundrums that crop up in the modern world, with all its virtual cyberspaces and whatnot.

IF THEY CAN MAKE MAPS WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE THEY CAN DO????

wtf.

shut up woman.

Yeah, I don't even know what to say...

Probably the most embarrassing thing I've read in a long time, for all involved parties.

Yeah they could, like, make a blackboard-rubber weapon for their mod. Or something equally dissident.

I know what they _could_ do (besides making maps), they could be succesfull and good students and make the world a better place.

ofcourse they can be a danger to unsuccessfull and bad students... so they must be stopped...

A fun fact is that there a really a lot of people that either made, or were planning to make, a game level or two based on a building of their educational institution.

I know I made a duke3d level based on my highschool and I was planning to make an Unreal Tournament map based on a building on my university's campus. The reasons were quite simple, those buildings have often great floor plans.

And it could be just me, but as far as I know nobody that created such a game level has gone on a killing spree. I think they were just too busy making those maps and playing them.

Yup, pretty much anyone that has tried map-building has at some point attempted either their school/college or their own street. The reasons being that these are the places most familiar to them and, as you said, having good floor plans. Schools especially tend to have fairly regular designs so are a nice simple subject to learn from.

This kid could one day be a good designer, but he'll probably be put off for life now or prevented from persuing it further.

Just watched

TED lecture and it seems relevant to this.

hmm.... he's talking out of his ass quite often (usually near his jokes), but there is a strong line of truth in it. Some of his points are quite hypocritical.

Shit, Epic just released overpriced maps for Gears of War... one of which takes place on a subway. People use subways. This is an obvious terroristic threat. Somebody arrest Cliffy B.

Please.

(it will be "free" from September 3, you can thank MS for it costing points right now)

anyway, it's not based on an existing subway... they do however have a tree in one of the new levels... so they must be attacking all our trees... and without trees there won't be any oxygen... and .. stuff..

:stan:

:teatable:

:teatable:

Furniture terrorism aaand he's not even American... better shoot first here.

wtf.

shut up woman.

MAKE BOMBS

They already can : by pressing a button for 30 seconds over a x-marked spot in de_dust. Expert training, I tell you!

MAKE BOMBS

So.. you watched MacGyver too?