jp-30

Mmmmmm. Warm Goat entrails...

Yeah. so.. WTF?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=451414&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

"Sony has sparked a major row over animal cruelty and the ethics of the computer industry by using a freshly slaughtered goat to promote a violent video game.

The corpse of the decapitated animal was the centrepiece of a party to celebrate the launch of the God Of War II game for the company’s PlayStation 2 console."

Real? if so, uhh. Did nobody in the company / promotions agency think it might be a bad idea...?

Guests at the event were even invited to reach inside the goat’s still-warm carcass to eat offal from its stomach.

er... I doubt that's very healthy

what were they thinking... they should have used a fake goat, pretty much same level of gore and detail is possible and nobody (well, not a lot of people) will get upset.

Slaughtering a goat for the sake of entertainment is pretty shit. Especially if it's just another PR stunt by a pathetic company.

Whose job is it to actually come up with this shit?

Can I be the first to say: what's the big deal? They basically stuffed a real animal with some prepared haggis and let people eat it. Wow. Are we going to have the same level of controversy whenever people roast a pig above a fire?

Not saying that it's smart of Sony to do this shit. I personally don't welcome it much for the perception it creates, but I'm not personally offended by it either.

Let's talk about those airbrushed bikini's though. :tup: I like them. What do you think?

Slaughtering a goat for the sake of entertainment is pretty shit.
Some people ate a goat, they didn't watch it being slaughtered for entertainment.

Some people ate a goat, they didn't watch it being slaughtered for entertainment.

I think it's even debatable as to whether they even ate goat...

EDIT oooh even better, from the article:

"The Sony spokesman said the animal had not been slaughtered for the event but had been bought from a local butcher by the Greek company hired to stage the event.

What purported to be warm intestines was actually warm offal. "

Most of the quotes of people outraged by what happened are clearly elicited by the Mail by giving spun half-truths to their quotees.

I still think though, that it's a waste of an animal's life just so that Sony can be shocking and controversial again.

Read the quote.... Sony didn't slaughter the animal, it was pre-slaughtered.

Yes but pretty much completely wasted nonetheless.

Unless Sony did something awesome like donate the body to a greyhound santuary or something.

It's not a terribly huge issue, but it's still something that annoyed me personally about the PR stunt. I guess it might annoy other people more if it was a dead cat or a dead dog, pre-slaughtered or not... I had a pet goat though, so it sort of distresses me to see one killed for no other purpose than to lie around being shocking at another sony PR event.

I don't mean to get all righteous and oooeeooeeee but, I'm just saying, that bugged me...

this is also a nice quote

The International Fund for Animal Welfare said it was "outrageous" that the animal’s death had been used "to sell a few computer games".

I'm sure more than one animal's death was used. First they needed to kill a bunch of animals to feed the developers of the game (since I doubt they were all vegetarians). That aside... the death of humans are used to sell news a few papers or what ever they advertise around news on TV.

Ofcourse nobody asked the goat what she wanted them to do with her body.

Apparently the goat was delivered back to the butcher after the event. They probably ate it. Filthy Greeks.

So long as it wasn't just wasted completely, then okay. Goats are awesome.

Goats are considered food animals in most of the world, especially Greece, so it's not like killing a pet.

Honestly Yufster, if you can't deal with this, how are you going to cope when the time comes to eat your kitten?

My favourite part of the story was how the Mail blurred out the photos of the goat's neck. Apparently goat-neck is too shocking for newspaper readers, but the picture of two dead Iraqi soldiers that the Telegraph splashed on its front page in 2003 is not.

If they'd killed the goat at the event, it would've been pretty rough and wrong. As it is, it's just kinda stylish but poorly thought through. Sounds like the biggest problem was the OPS2 writer getting his facts wrong, which led to the Mail's outrage.

Goats are considered food animals in most of the world, especially Greece, so it's not like killing a pet.

Honestly Yufster, if you can't deal with this, how are you going to cope when the time comes to eat your kitten?

People keep rabbits as pets, and a lot of people eat rabbits.

Same with dogs.

I wuv me the wittle doggies and wouldn't eat one if I could help it, but I don't mind that they're a light lunch in some areas of the world. So the goat doesn't faze me. If I was there, I may have said "That's kind of icky, but it's a goat. It probably only exists in the first place to be eaten." And my attention would probably have been directed elsewhere. Because I agree with Marek.

Would we be having this discussion if it was a yummy yummy cow/pig?

I'd still think it was disgusting if it was any animal slaughtered for the sake of entertainment. As it happens, it wasn't, and was returned to the butcher yadda yadda ya. So it's fine. ISH.

I'm still amazed that some cunt at sony would come up with it as a PR stunt though.

I mean, partying around a dead animal is kind of sad and pathetic no matter what the situation or animal. It's a strange kind of person that gets pleasure from that or thinks it's cool or even slightly a good idea. I realise half of you probably think I'm being one of those uptight animal rights activist-type people, and you're more than welcome to believe whatever you want. I'm not. And I realise the mail reported it a little bit sensationally.

But I still think it's kind of sick and pathetic on Sony's part though. I just think the whole idea of getting a dead animal and displaying it as some sort of entertainment thing or PR stunt or whatever, is pretty rubbish. I dunno, I would not feel comfortable going to a party with dead animals on display, but that's just me. It's sort of weird. Why would they do that?

EDIT: Snubs, I don't mind people eating dogs and cats and goats and whatever else either... eating meat is natural and all that INNIT... I guess my disdain comes from the fact that, I dunno, it all seems like just ordinary sony PR stunts but this time involving dead bodies. And I don't like dead bodies. Of humans or animals. So er yeah. I find it a little bit disturbing.

And you know, girls with their tits out, dead animals, seeing who can be most extreme and eat the most offal blah blah blah... it's your average sony PR bullshit at this stage, but involving dead bodies. Sort of fucked up. Just seems to be in really bad taste. I can imagine the whole event only appealing to slightly chavvy teenage schoolboys.

I mean, partying around a dead animal is kind of sad and pathetic no matter what the situation or animal.

...FINE! I'll cancel my monthly "Kegger in the Meat Locker" event. Happy now?

Well obviously you are right Yufster, in as far that it was a Sony PR deal, and hence must follow the current rule that all Sony PR thingies must fuck up, often in a hilarious manner.

The hilarious part of this escapes me so far (apart from the Mail's GoW2 review). Maybe it will turn out that the whole GoW dev team contracted a deadly form of salmonella from the goat, or something. That would be pretty hilarious, AND sad.

Sony to conduct internal inquiry following dead goat incident:

"It has come to our attention that at The God of War 2 launch showcase held in Athens, Greece, on 1st March 2007, an element of the event was of an unsuitable nature," a spokesperson said.
Could you promptly fire all your shithead PR people as a result, please? Especially seeing as you're having a clearout of Sony corporate glue-sniffers at the moment anyway. Always best to do your spring cleaning thoroughly.

if they had served cooked goat canapes at the launch would anyone have noticed? if it had been a sonic launch would they have crucified a small hedgehog dyed blue and had people eat cocktail sausages off its spikes? this has raised some serious issues!

i can see some sony guy chuckling to himself that all the forums are talking about the launch. but seriously, whos actually gonna buy god of war off the back of this story?

I'm hard pressed to think which of the two actions was more prudent, having a dead goat at a party or encouraging Ken Kutaragi to retire.

I seem to recall that every game Daily Mail bitches about goes on to sell very well regardless of quality (Rockstar have expanded quite successfully).

Well done Sony, back to business as usual.

For the Metal Gear Solid release maybe Sony, in conjunction with Konami, should have some major political figure heads killed by a cardboard box.

I'd buy a PS3 for that.