kennyken67

I give in... here I come 360

Struck a deal with a friend,

will be trading a wii for a 360 straight up, only he gets the better end of the software deal.. he gets 7 games, i only get 2.

The wii seemed to be a huge novelty to me, I fell for the hype and loved it at first, but the last month I maybe played it for 1 hour.

So, now that I have a 360, anyone here play Rainbow Six : Las Vegas??

looking to build a good friends list

Yeah, I find I'm playing my Wii less lately as well, but I'm holding out for stuff like No More Heroes and just assuming that it's the same kind of post-launch "what the hell can we do with this thing?" stumble that the DS had before it got really awesome. Can't say you really made a horrible choice though, given how much I play my 360.

I played Vegas on PC. My computer was a little sluggish for it, but the game itself was quite good. Never really grabbed me in a major way, but tactical shooters have never been my thing anyway. What I played, I enjoyed. Considering that I'm not a fan of the genre, that's a pretty good sign.

Feel free to add me, gamertag is the same as my name here on the thumb. Enjoy your new console.

Thanks to the VC Channel, I play the Wii more than any other console I've ever had!

The thing that bothers me about the 360, from what I've heard from other 360 users, is that I have to play a monthly fee for Live if I want to access the market place to buy their old skool games...;(

Actually if you have a silver account (the free one) you can buy whatever games you want, download demos, download trailers, show off your gamerscore, etc. What you need an annual subscription for is if you want to play games with others over the intertubes.

I'm in the same situation as miffy. I bought a Wii, not playing it much now, but that's pretty much what I expected. I think you made a good trade, at least for now. The Wii software library will start kicking ass in a while though, most likely after the summer.

I only played Vegas at a friend's house, but I liked what I played. It's not a must-have 360 title for me, but it's good. The cover system is in fact superior to that of Gears of War. Hiding behind objects in Vegas is natural and fluid from the get-go, whereas in Gears it'll stay clunky until you get really good at it.

I find Gears to be enormously overrated, by the way.

My gamertag is Gwarek, feel free to add me.

Everyone I work with loves Rainbow six: Vegas. I really don't like it, but I'm definitely in the minority...

Yeah the Wii is having a bit of a drought, and I hate to say it but the third party support at the moment is looking a little lame.

Cooking Mama is genius, Elebits is fun, but it seems like a lot of companies really don't know what to do with the remote and are getting really lazy with the visuals.

If Nintendo Australia hadn't locked out all those TurboGrafx games, I'd be playing Bonk's Revenge and Dragon's Curse RIGHT NOW. As it stands, any Virtual Console game I'm remotely interested in I actually own still, so there's not much point in buying it yet again, but this time in a format that I cannot hold with my hands.

So I wait and wait and wait and wait for the console's games to come out. Like Elebits/dees, Trauma Center, Super Paper Mario, and so on. Ah, PAL. Come on Datel, make a Wiiloader already.

Hmm, wasn't there a way for Australians to get TruboGrafx games?

I vaguely remember someone mention it before...:erm:

Yeah the Wii is having a bit of a drought, and I hate to say it but the third party support at the moment is looking a little lame.

You are right about the drought but I think you're off the mark regarding third party support. Maybe you meant it in absolute terms not relative, but from what I can tell third party support is very strong.

Not only is there a lot of it, unusual suspects like EA are doing a pretty good job porting to the system. Tiger Woods, SSX Blur, Godfather and Madden have been reviewed very well, especially considering these games are actually supposed to be early cycle shovelware. They use the wiimote in good ways (in fact, Wii is the only system that I can imagine myself ever buying Tiger Woods or Madden for).

Yeah the Wii's definitely having a drought as the only really compelling game thus far for me has been Twilight Princess, and I don't think I need to even go into what implications that statement has. :shifty:

That said, the upcoming library will probably be great. Obvious first-party ones such as the impending Smash Bros with Solid Snake action and Mario Galaxy are almost certainly going to win, but I think third-party support will improve now the initial "Wtf is going on here?" element to the launch is more or less over and the Wii has proven itself to be momentously popular.

I mean slamming some obvious franchises onto the Wii with Wii controls is one thing, but actually dedicating resources to truly strong original IP and/or games on the platform would be quite another. The Wii's bound to have a bright future ahead of it (though I think its lifespan will be shorter than its generational cousins and have a successor much sooner), but right now the game scene is a bit shit. I seriously can't see too many people owning more than one or two games.

I've been really fancying a 360 as of late and could easily afford one, but I'm seriously worried about the HD thing. The only HD display in my room is my computer monitor, which as we're probably all aware all tend to have (Intentionally?) slim viewing angles and poor console/TV input connections. Great for sat-right-next-to-it PC usage; not so great for sat-back-relaxing console gaming.

The only other TV in my room is the 21-inch Samsung CRT which while is pretty great for last-generation and Wii games, I imagine would be a bit lame once you've got all that HD detail getting wasted.

It also righteously winds me up that the black levels on LCD and probably plasma screens are still relatively wank, emphasised a million times over once you put it in dark conditions. Is it still not possible to avoid this without paying through eight noses?

The only other TV in my room is the 21-inch Samsung CRT which while is pretty great for last-generation and Wii games, I imagine would be a bit lame once you've got all that HD detail getting wasted.

I'm not ashamed to say I've got my 360 hooked up to a 3yr-old Sharp flat screen 24" CRT. The only serious gameplay drawback is that the on-screen text in Xbox 360 games is typically so small, it can be difficult to read. Fortunately I have excellent eye-sight (for now) so it isn't a problem for me.

I'd go for it, Thrik, especially with the ludicrously good value bundles currently available.

It also righteously winds me up that the black levels on LCD and probably plasma screens are still relatively wank, emphasised a million times over once you put it in dark conditions. Is it still not possible to avoid this without paying through eight noses?

With the really high contrast ratios coming to more reasonably priced units nowadays, this shouldn't be so much of an issue. You can get a decent 800:1 (or better) contrast ratio on many sub-£400 panels right now for example.

Ah, okay. Well if someone else is doing it satisfactorily I guess I could too. :tup:

I'm planning on upgrading TV-wise in a year anyway, so it'd be something to look forward to.

Ah, okay. Well if someone else is doing it satisfactorily I guess I could too. :tup:

Quality!

I'm planning on upgrading TV-wise in a year anyway, so it'd be something to look forward to.

Likewise, but I'm waiting until I've finished moving house and gotten the new place decorated before saving up for an LCD.