Sign in to follow this  
twmac

Virtua Tennis 3 - 360

Okay I've had for a week now. And in between bouts of completing Enchanted Arms, getting further in Full Auto, and generally being shot in the face by some American kid who uses the term 'Your mum' without any sense of irony; I've been playing a lot of Virtua Tennis 3.

I'm not sure I can say it is better than VT2, but I really don't care if isn't, because I'm very happy with it in its own right. The whole thing plays like a mature arcade game. Everything has that Outrun 2 sheen to it, the controls are simple (maybe a little too simple because you can't lob people for shit), but when a decent volley exchange ends with a perfect slice that not even James Blake himself can counter, I'm always left with a big grin on my face.

Four player is genius, online isn't laggy, but everyone is so much better than I am, that I have been cast out from the Xbox Live circles

Despite being shunned by my, err, peers I'm very happy with my purchase.

What spiked my curiosity though is that a friend of mine, who is a big tennis game fan, said that the develpment of the PS3 and 360 versions were split and that a different team worked on PS3 ( as in not Sumo Digital). Does anyone know if this is true?

That failing, has anyone played both versions and noticed any sizable differences?

I currently have 0 next gen consoles so I haven't played this yet. If I were to get a 360 it would probably be one of the first titles I bought however.

Apparently on the PS3 version there's no online multiplayer :fart:

I have to say though, the original Virtua Tennis on the DC is by far the greatest and Virtua Tennis 2 just didn't compare.

Also thread moved to gaming ;)

I thought about picking this up, but the original Virtua Tennis is still enough if I want to play a few sets. I guess it'll be the online that wins me over later on, but I'm holding out for now.

What spiked my curiosity though is that a friend of mine, who is a big tennis game fan, said that the develpment of the PS3 and 360 versions were split and that a different team worked on PS3 ( as in not Sumo Digital). Does anyone know if this is true?

Yes that's true.

Tried the demo on Xbox Live at the weekend and just couldn't get into it; either it's a shitty demo or VT3 isn't my sort of game.

I'm somewhat reticent to believe it's the latter point though, as Table Tennis wasn't typically "my sort of game" until I tried the demo last year. And I played the shit out of that game as a result. :tup:

Hmmm...

Virtua Tennis is still genius, but it doesn't have four player does it?

That has been the main appeal for me, I never got ahold of VT2 , so when this apeared it was a joy to whack into the 360. The beauty of the four player is that people really don't need to know how to play it to join in (although I'm starting to notice that I'm getting a lot better than some of the new comers) and actually win a few sets.

PS3 doesn't have online features? How the f*** not? I've been unshunned from Xbox Live and am trying to get a permanent doubles partner for the ranked and player matches. This makes the game even better.

The only thing that is disturbing is how shit the renders of all the players are. Henman is freaky looking, don't get me started on Lindsey Davenport.

Wrestlevania, I'm tempted to download the demo to find out if it is shit, or whether you don't like the game.

Virtua Tennis is still genius, but it doesn't have four player does it?

It does.

Wrestlevania, I'm tempted to download the demo to find out if it is shit, or whether you don't like the game.

Why not? I'm thinking I might download it again and give it another chance, after I deleted it in a fit of rage the first time.

I will download it tomorrow morning and let you know :)

Oath, you have opened my eyes,when I return to England I'm going to find my copy of Virtua Tennis and play it four player (that is as soon as I find three other people to play it). Don't know why I didn't know this before.