Sign in to follow this  
miffy495

Guitar Hero 360

And all becomes clear... ;)

I know exactly what you mean now and now I understand what you mean it's something I was worried about before buying my 360. In fact, I deliberately didn't go for Microsoft's "AAA" bundle here in the UK (Gears of War, Crackdown and GRAW2) because it was just so over-bearing in terms of similar themes and content.

I don't think there's any getting away from the fact that Xbox as a brand has been cited as "hardcore" pretty much as soon as it was established, but I hope the range and diversity of games - and themes - continues to grow. Even if Viva Piñata has been considered a sales flop by many, MS aren't stupid and would have known that it wouldn't have sold like Halo. On the flip side, Miffy's example of Rockstar Games pres. Table Tennis illustrates that the software dev-co's are interested in doing more on Xbox than just FPS titles. And, more importantly Table Tennis is a) huge amounts of simple clean fun, and B) rightly sold by the truckload. (I'd definitely recommend it as a rental--if not an outright buy.)

As for what's on the horizon and getting away from marauding through city streets wielding guns, Blue Dragon should be pretty good once the translation's complete. And, whilst I've never been interested in JRPGs since Chrono Trigger on SNES, I'm really intrigued by Lost Odyssey. Plus Capcom have just announced brand new HD versions of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo and Super Street Fighter II (with the character art being completely redone by Udon!).

Miffy, damn you for being at the top of my leaderboard all the time ever. DAMN YOU. I feel like a king when I complete a song with 5 stars on medium but then I check the leaderboards and feel completely inferior.

I interviewed a Microsoft exec at GDC and he hinted they're going to diversify the 360 lineup more in the not too distant future. The goal was intentionally to focus on hardcore early in the life cycle, or at least that's what they claim. It makes sense as those are your early adoptors. I'm hoping this diversification will actually happen because, as happy as I am with 360 right now and as good as the software library is, it is really homogeneous in terms of styles, genres and attitudes.

Miffy, damn you for being at the top of my leaderboard all the time ever. DAMN YOU. I feel like a king when I complete a song with 5 stars on medium but then I check the leaderboards and feel completely inferior.

:chaste: What can I say? I'm a rhythm game whore. Set a game to music and I'll obsess until I've conquered it entirely. If it helps any, Hitman kicks my ass every time I start it up and I suck horribly at most FPSs over the easiest setting.

Grrr... still haven't managed to re-achieve 5 star Free Bird on 360 yet. Was 25000 points off earlier today, which would still be over 50000 less than my PS2 high score. I just want to get that damn 5 star rating. Soon, Free Bird, you will bow to me...

Crap! My recent PaRappa the Rapper diversion on PS1 saw me flumoxed by just the training level on "Normal" difficulty. ;( On the flipside, I aced the first 4 levels on "Easy" first time, so my excuse would be it's horribly imbalanced in terms of difficulty (and I'm sticking to it!). Not that I didn't have a blast playing it, but still...

Guitar Hero on 360 is very tempting, but I'm looking at moving house in the next couple of months which means I guess the majority of any spare cash will be ploughed into painting and decorating.

We still play GH2 on PS2 co-op and versus in the office though on some Fridays and it's not lost any of its shine. I'm interested to see what songs come out for the 360 version on download over the coming months, too, as I recognise so few of the original GH and GH2 playlist tracks it's embarrassing.

More from The Police and Nirvana I say!

DAMN YOU indeed.

However, this is one game that I am content to sit at #2 on my friends' list. I guess everyone has their game. You can have this one. I'll keep my Lumines time attack scores.

Well, now you know how I feel whenever I boot up Geometry Wars and see your name sitting far above mine, your high score more than double what I can hope to achieve on a miraculous run.

Didn't know whether to post this as a separate thread but decided not to, Thunderpeel, fun games on 360:

Kameo, I really didn't think I would like it, but it is like getting stoned. If you are clever about it you sit back and play it in the relaxed manner it demands. The game is easy, but pretty and enjoyable. No gangsters, no guns.

Virtua Tennis 3, some people were not impressed, I think it is pure fun.

Full-Auto, it is Burnout with guns, no grittyness here at all just arcade sheen, and ridiculous explosions of stupid.

Viva Pinata, Rockstar tennis have already been mentioned. My other big delight has been an XBLA game called 'Heavy Weapon', people might be sick of the thumbstick to aim mechanics, it hasn't gotten old for me.

Sadly, I'm terrible at rythm games so I cannot get excited about GH2, I'm so bad that I unlocked the Achievement 'Fail a song on easy' for my mate the other day and I don't think I'll be going back for more punishment.

Well, now you know how I feel whenever I boot up Geometry Wars and see your name sitting far above mine, your high score more than double what I can hope to achieve on a miraculous run.

Sadly, I'm not even number one there :gaming:

And all becomes clear... ;)

Table Tennis[/i] illustrates that the software dev-co's are interested in doing more on Xbox than just FPS titles. And, more importantly Table Tennis is a) huge amounts of simple clean fun, and B) rightly sold by the truckload. (I'd definitely recommend it as a rental--if not an outright buy.)

As for what's on the horizon and getting away from marauding through city streets wielding guns, Blue Dragon should be pretty good once the translation's complete. And, whilst I've never been interested in JRPGs since Chrono Trigger on SNES, I'm really intrigued by Lost Odyssey. Plus Capcom have just announced brand new HD versions of Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo and Super Street Fighter II (with the character art being completely redone by Udon!).

Aaaah! I'm glad that cleared things up. Thanks for your list of things to come, they do indeed sound hopeful! Another version of SSFII, though?? Hmmm. I wish they'd just bring out Street Fighter Alpha 3. THERE was a decent SF game!

Also, I wish they'd get their act together with regards to the emulation of the XBox... At least I could have a fish around with some of those "classics" if they could be bothered to implement them! :(

Ah, well. I'm looking forward to picking up Guitar Hero 2 when I get some cash! :tup:

Agreed for BC. I'm playing Ninja Gaiden on 360 right now as I'd been wanting to have another go at it. I just wish I could go back and check out the rest of my library as well. Panzer Dragoon and Jet Set Radio Future are just sitting there mocking me, and why would I bother playing Dead Or Alive Ultimate when DoA4 is already on 360? I just ordered a copy as it's pretty cheap now, and I guess the ability to play DoA2 on 360 will hold me until it arrives, but it really does seem like they're focusing on all the wrong games.

HOLY SHIT THEY LISTENED!!!

Just out today, the newest BC update includes:

Jet Set Radio Future

Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee

Panzer Dragoon: Orta

Soul Calibur 2

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes YES! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

...I'm gonna go play me some JSRF and Orta now. Also, celebrating that MS was apparently monitoring my post and decided to be very, very nice to me.

UPDATE: Damn, my copy of JSRF doesn't work. Apparently it'll run only the original version of the game, not the one that's on that bundle disk with Sega GT 200(whatever) so I'm sol for now. At least I got in some quality time with Orta. Maybe I'll bust out the Dreamcast for some Jet Grind Radio to make myself feel better.

Question: is Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (I'm reminded of it by miffy's post) still worth picking up and is it BC on 360?

Question: is Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (I'm reminded of it by miffy's post) still worth picking up and is it BC on 360?

It's not on the list, but it is definitely worth picking up before it disappears into obscurity. I hear nothing but absolutely glowing praise for that game, so perhaps it'll be included in the next round of BC updates.

I feel horribly embarassed about yesterday's blog rant now, though. :getmecoat

I just tried it and it didn't work. Maybe next patch...

Miffy,

what does GH360 retail for in Canada?

I got it for $99.99... which is RETARDED because I paid less than that for the first Guitar Hero at a time when the game wasn't available in Canada and had to buy it off a shop that imported it.

Yeah, cost me about the same. Although it's only $10 more than GH was on the PS2 when it first came out. It seems significantly more expensive, sure, but the fact that I bought GH1 with help from a gift certificate is probably my main reason for that. If you don't have it on PS2, Kennyken, go for it.

Daisenryaku VII and Phantom Dust are backwards compatible too!

Sweet, now I can finish them.

Oh wait I'll never finish Daisenryaku as it is sodding impossible.

Daisenryaku VII and Phantom Dust are backwards compatible too!

MS adding Phantom Dust to the BC list just rubs more salt in EU wounds; Microsoft finally killed the European release - after delaying it for months - when the 360 was officially announced. :(

Just wanted to pitch in to say that I forked over the necessary mulah to play Guitar Hero II and YES! It's the best game I own!!! :tup: :tup: Good stuff!

MS adding Phantom Dust to the BC list just rubs more salt in EU wounds; Microsoft finally killed the European release - after delaying it for months - when the 360 was officially announced. :(

Sorry to hear that, but I understand why that happened. Majesco really don't/didn't have enough money to release it and like Psychonauts and Advent Rising the game bombed in North America.

If yoyu ever get the chance, Phantom Dust is basically Quake Deathmatch colliding with a card collecting game and it has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard (Vincent Gallo does the end track to the game) it is well worth it and if you can find it it is under 20 dollars.

Phantom Dust is basically Quake Deathmatch colliding with a card collecting game

Which is exactly what has me frothing at the mouth!

Wasn't aware that Majesco were publishing in the EU, which sheds a little more light on the reason for the PAL release being ultimately canned.

Quick question: Can Guitar Hero be enjoyed by people who are already very competent on a real guitar.... or is it just frustrating? A friend of mine needs to know!

Well, I played for 7 years before getting the first Guitar Hero and it didn't hamper my enjoyment at all. The key thing to remember is that playing Guitar Hero is as much like playing an actual guitar as DDR is like preforming with the Royal Winnipeg Ballet. So, not at all. It's a really good rhythm game with a cool peripheral, more an air guitar simulator than anything else. The fact that your friend plays guitar may help them to adapt to sliding their hand on the neck more readily than people who don't. Same for hammer-ons and pull-offs. That's about it though.

I'd say they should try starting on easy. If they're anything like how I was, they'll progress a bit quicker than people who don't play simply because their hands are used to the movements but they'll still need to start at the bottom.

Thanks for that. I've passed on your comments... Hopefully my friend will pick it up and we can go head to head! I can imagine that some guitar players might feel a bit upset at Guitar Hero because they're not as good as their non-guitar playing friends who have practiced longer. Ah, well!