toblix

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars™

Holy crap I'm loving this. It is running completely smooth with everything set to max, which I haven't experienced in years. But that's irrelevant compared to how totally awesome it is with live action video in a computer game. I had forgot how insanely rewarding and engrossing it is. I don't care how bad the acting is, or how some aspect of it is not considered to be of a high quality -- it totally blows all pre-rendered or in-game cut-scenes to bloody pieces of shit. Maybe with some exceptions, like, I think... Anachronox?

Also, It's such a pleasure every time the cute Mrs. Morrison appears in the top right corner of the screen.

Yeah it's an awesome game. I'm really liking it so far. Although my only problem is the Video - still - desyncs with the audio for the GDI videos (haven't played NOD yet) and it's quite annoying ¬¬. Damn my PC and it's low specness.

C&C was the first computer game I ever played. I've been a fan of the series ever since, and was not disappointed at all by C&C 3. It's a wonderful game, a big difference from Generals (for better or worse). Fans of Red Alert and Red Alert 2 will love it, might be difficult to get used to for General's fans...

It's so great that the live cutscenes are back. They pretty much gave me the motivation to burn through all the C&C games that actually had them, even in the most infuriating sessions of being arseholed by mission X.

I just need to sort my PC so I can actually play the damned thing. ;(

Well my DVD drive decided it didn't like me so I'm stuck with not playing C&C3. Damn EA and their DVD checks!

I'm disturbed at the lack of comments this thread has got. Some guys were playing it in work last week and it looked superb. Like a really heavily polished yet not particularly mentally challenging action movie, it just looked pure fun. My copy is arriving next week!

It doesn't look that great, does it? I think it looks... all right.

I'm going to buy this when it comes out for Xbox. All I'm expecting is a well-made C&C game in the traditional style of the series. Based on what I've seen so far I doubt the game will own me completely, but it should be decently fun.

Is the music still by Frank Klepacki or whatever his name was?

No, from what I heard and read, the musics are made by someone else than Frank.

It's done in-house at EA I believe. Franki did make a very good soundtrack for the other C&C titles though.

To be honest. The sound track in C&C3 isn't really worthy of the title "C&C3 Soundtrack" because it is kinda suckey.

Cold

I'm going to buy this when it comes out for Xbox.

I never really understood the point of playing RTS's on consoles. I tried Starcraft when it was out for N64 years back and it wasn't intuitive. For me, that seems like logical PC domain, even moreso than FPS's.

That's why I'm interrested in the new Halo RTS they're talking about. Supposedly it was designed for the console specifically and had a really helpful and intuitive control scheme. I want to see how that manifests itself.

The LOTR strategy game was also designed specifically for the system. I never bought it because the game itself doesn't interest me much, but playing the demo convinced me that RTS controls on a console can work. It's on Xbox Marketplace somewhere.

The controls are a bit slower than on the PC, so I wouldn't want to play a strategy game on the console competitively, but for a single player campaign it's excellent.

Goblin Commander was also an RTS designed specifically for console. Seems it was a bit oants though.

But I reckon you're right Cagney, PC does have massive advantages for RTS. But then it's seen as something of a niche genre anyway.

Hmm, anyone know of any efforts to make a true RTS MMO?

I'd agree with that to a degree, although I've said in the past that I believe if Nintendo (and maybe other consoles) stick with the Wiimote-style controller in the long run, consoles will become extremely good homes to RTS and FPS games. I think I'd actually prefer using something like the Wiimote if it were a bit less sensitive and more accurate, which I honestly think is a limitation of the current hardware as no Wii game has truly nailed it yet to the level of accuracy an RTS would need.

Personally though I don't think it'll actually come to fruition until the Wii's successor, as I think another generation of motion/pointer sensitivity would be needed to equal the tactility of the PC mouse (this may be a slightly arguable point). I would also be very surprised if the successor doesn't have processing power more on par with its competitors as Nintendo has habitually done that up until the Wii.

I know a lot of people advocate the Wii's lesser hardware, but it really does make a difference in many areas beyond graphics. 3D RTS games are just one example, as they tend to be incredibly hardware intensive (unless they look absolutely shit). Sadly it's pretty much the only console where they can get close to the PC level of accuracy, other than the DS. ;(

Hmm, anyone know of any efforts to make a true RTS MMO?

That would be incredible.

Wow that's a brilliant idea! You could even do like a risk-like element where you capture territories on a huge, non-contiguous world map but fighting battles that other armies could join in any time. And then diplomacy would be handled real-time in the world-view in a similar style to the Total War series. Holy shit that would be incredible.

I'd also love to see a true strategy FPS game in the same vein as the Natural Selection mod for Half Life done professionally, and maybe on a grander, RTS scale.

We could have both an MMORTS and an MMORTSFPS, IMHO.

(LOL).

Oh, guess fucking what. They made a level where everything stops being fun.

Why in the fucking cunts of cunts are almost all games too hard? Or, maybe the correct answer is, why do I start getting frustrated and quit playing so much more these days than before? I'm being raped from all sides with flying alien ships and my units just fucking sit there, taking it up their mechanical assholes. I'm so sick of this.

And it sucks. I always look forward to these games, and I think they're fun as long as they don't require having complete control of a million little units at the same time. My idea of a fun RTS is meeting some resistance at first, and then setting up a good defense which is easy to maintain, and then slowly turtle up with a thousand airplanes that, in a phallic formation, penetrate the opposition and unload their cumshot of death into their core or whatever. Central command centre.

But no. They have to pile the attacks on. I have to really work for my fun. An easy game is fun. Almost dying all the time is not fucking fun. Fuck that shit, Westwood, or whoever.

Maybe I should try playing on easy.

Anyway, my biggest sorrow is not getting to watch all the cutscenes because the game gets too hard. Anyway, I'm rambling. I think that maybe for every post I've made about liking a game, shortly after there follows another -- by me -- complaining about it being to hard. Like that fucking piece of shit Trauma Center. That second or third mission, with the million boils that keep bursting and I'm running out of time. Doctor? Fuck you. And that Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. I want to like it, but it's like a sado masochistic relationship. I keep bringing the flowers, she rapes my ass with spikes. Anyway.

Heh, we decided on some new gaming terminology last week, when Spaff got to an "oh just fuck off" level in God of War.

What you are referring to, in fact, is when it all goes totally meat circus.

I'm all for games having an exciting difficulty curve, but so many of those curves are interrupted by a sudden vertical line. From my first hand experiences of game designers it is usually down to one single designer who thinks he is god's gift to gaming, whose superiors are too scared to reign him in. He is under the impression that if you cannot complete his level and love it, then you do not deserve to own the game.

I'm all for games having an exciting difficulty curve, but so many of those curves are interrupted by a sudden vertical line.

Yeah, but I'm also getting a sneaking suspicion it's not just that these steps are appearing more and more in games. I'm thinking I may be, in a way, getting too old for this shit. I lose patience with games a lot more now. I hate replaying things, and I hate feeling that I'm losing. Maybe I'm hating that more now than before. I keep stopping playing hard games and starting playing easier games, like Picross or Phoenix Wright. Well, maybe easier is not the word. Less stressful, maybe. Actually, I rememer it now, like it was just hours ago, which it was. Right from the start of the level, it became clear I would be attacked hard from every angle. And immediately my attitude towards the game was "You just try being hard, you fucker. You just overwhelm me units and I'll stop playing. I'm not going to try and try again." And as it did, I felt almost relieved that I was getting fucked.

I'm expecting to be annihilated, so maybe I've stopped trying. Anyway, I'll give it another go. I'm always like that. "I'll never play you again, you shit game!" and then an hour later I feel like, why not. One more try. I did that with Trauma Center, too, only that never worked.

Heh, we decided on some new gaming terminology last week, when Spaff got to an "oh just fuck off" level in God of War.

That's weird : I can't remember such a level in God of War, and god knows I'm not really a skillful gamer.The only part remotely connected would be a segment in the Path of Hades when you've got to kill a bunch of zombies as a moving wall threatens to crush you.

That's weird : I can't remember such a level in God of War, and god knows I'm not really a skillful gamer.The only part remotely connected would be a segment in the Path of Hades when you've got to kill a bunch of zombies as a moving wall threatens to crush you.

Might be the clone battle or the rotating wall of blades thingy that you have to climb near the end?

Yeah I think it was the wall of blades and spinny blade bridges.

Of course it's possible that Spaff is just rubbish at those bits :D

toblix you are becoming a casual gamer!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness though, I don't think there's anything wrong with providing a serious challenge. If you're really that adverse to actually being challenged in games, just go with the easiest difficulty every time. I mean, did you ever play the Commandos games (not including the latest 3D one)?

Although quite possibly the most frustrating, tense, and time-consuming RTS series in history, they were incredibly satisfying to actually get through and after spending an hour trying to get past one guy you felt like you'd really accomplished something. Metal Gear Solid is actually very much like a 3D take on the same concept, with the whole cone of vision thing, and that too is a hugely satisfying game despite some parts driving me mental with difficulty.

With all that said, RTS games tend to be notoriously fiendish though and they likely always will be, so if you're looking for an easy ride you'd probably be best off just avoiding the genre altogether. This is probably another reason why they've never been that predominant on consoles with a fanbase full of people who probably don't want to spend four hours staring at the same small area, controls aside.

I mean, did you ever play the Commandos games (not including the latest 3D one)?

Play it? I lived it. I've played through Commandos 2 about a million times, and still think it's one of the best games ever. It looks better than most games to this day. The thing about Commandos (2) is that even though it's hard, it's more puzzle hard, in that you have to think out a strategy to overcome some hugely difficult obstacle, but you have all the time in the world. I don't mind that. I mind being stressed out with attacks from every angle.

Eh, I can't say much for C&C3 as I haven't played it yet but I've always found levels where you actually have to sweat a bit while fighting off attacks pretty fun. It's really satisfying in Dawn of War for example to have a large army, and have it be absolutely fucking obliterated by an overwhelming enemy but eventually pull through and barely beat them. It's all about keeping focus while things look horrific.

Just sitting in a corner and building up a huge base and tank swamp is also fun, but it can't be the whole of an RTS for me. I need a level or few where I have to hold back a seemingly never-ending and annihilating force, and boy does it feel satisfying once you get the upper hand and start to push them back.

I've often looked back on RTS/C&C missions and thought "How the fuck did I even do that? That could have gone totally wrong at about a million points". It's a nice feeling though.

I hit that point now and again, but always end up trying again. My "oh fuck off" moment in God of War was some part where you were forced to beat a bunch of enemies before the floor fell away and killed you or some such nonsense. Seemed totally dumb to force the combat to be rushed through when taking the time to enjoy it was where I was getting most of my fun.

Also recently going through Ninja Gaiden for the third time. Never beaten it. Hell, this is my first time past the 5th level without giving up. For some reason I'm determined this time. I took Alma (legendarily tough boss, for those not up on Gaiden) down in about 20 tries after much swearing, but my moment of victory was sweet enough for me to jump up and dance around the room for a minute or two. Damn does it feel good when you can squeeze out a win like that. Of course, this is after trying to play through the game twice in a year and a half and never bothering to stick it out past those damned Spider Clan ninjas. As such, I'm not sure where I fall on the spectrum. I guess it'd be something like casual with a low attention span for frustration. I get pissed and walk away, but six months later I'll forget why I was pissed and try again.

I now have to fight two tanks simultaneously using a fucking bow and arrow. I think it's Meat Circusing me again, but dammit I want to see more of this game.