BigJKO

GTA IV trailer

I really like the trailer. It's intriguing and teasing. Not sure how I feel about going back to Liberty City though. I never finished GTA III and never had the capabilities to play LCS so I'm not sure how I feel with that city.

Awww

I was hoping this time it would be set in rural countrysides. with cows.

I'm not sure how I feel about going back to Liberty again. I've played GTAIII, I've played LCS. Do I really need a third game there? Whatever. Always loved GTA and as long as it keeps the quality, I'm in.

See, that's a trap Rockstar set up for itself. We're not going to Liberty for the third time, dawg - it's actually fourth. Every numbered GTA game is set there and for some reason the developers are very determined to stick with the Liberty/Vice/San Andreas trifecta from the first game. The only GTAVerse city known to exist outside of these three is Carcer, but we've never been there if one does not count Manhunt. What I'm getting at is that with all the speculation, it still remained quite probable the setting of IV would be Liberty - and it is.

2 - Is it me or does it seems that the GTa series is moving from grotesque/clichéd storyline to more subtle one ?

I agree, and it was aparent even from San Andreas when compared to the eralier ones. But--

I really didn't like any of the storyline of the previous installments, but the fact that the main character seems to be seeking a life out of crime is a good start to get a storyline that isn't a rip off of gangster's movie.

I would argue that's still a cliche. Plus, you're forgetting Vice City Stories - the protagonist there actually never wanted to have anything to do with crime and was constanly striving to do the right thing.

Never actually finished VCS. Got a ways in and exams hit. Still, I found the story of San Andreas to be very well done and always look forward to the narrative of a new GTA.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the GTAverse being just the 5 cities (You forgot London: 1969) but I was still kinda hoping that they'd throw something new. Hell, maybe even a game in Carcer. Well, with any luck, they'll have a big landscape like San Andreas and we'll get to explore more than just Liberty. Maybe a version of New Jersey or something that we can travel to.

We're not going to Liberty for the third time, dawg - it's actually fourth.

I don't think GTA2 is set in Liberty City.

I believe you travelled to a whole range of cities in the first game, complete with hilarious intros by various over-the-top characters. But whatever, nobody cares about that :) Liberty City in IV looks fine.

Also, is anyone tantalised by the idea of there being a table tennis minigame in there? Maybe a slimmed-down version as a demo for the real game? Same engine, and they've got the code... Would be awesome.

Legenda:

LS: Liberty City

VC: Vice City

SA: San Andreas

GTA1: LS, VC, SA + London in expansion packs

GTA2: Fifth Element's LS??

GTA3: LS

Vice City: VC

San Andrea: SA

If it's a formula then they started it with GTA3. Why couldn't they simply add a new city for GTA4.

Vimes: GTA3 wasn't GTA lie, body fat wasn't pre-SA GTA like, etc.

Having more than one way to complete a task could be nice. So instead of helping OG Loc you turn on him.

Awww

I was hoping this time it would be set in rural countrysides. with cows.

Upstate New York or northern New Jersey might suit those needs, and I'd guess they'll have something other than a metropolitan area in the game.

And that Remo review? 9/10 for the concept alone, but the art is so last generation.

Apparently GTA2 took place in "Anywhere City" or some such place. No specific city, even in the GTA universe.

Apparently GTA2 took place in "Anywhere City" or some such place. No specific city, even in the GTA universe.
I don't think GTA2 is set in Liberty City.

Okay, my bad. Thanks for clearing that up.

Okay-dokey then. This makes me slightly less interested in it though.

I totally agree. I think it would have been cool to see it set in a real-life city. Kind of a symbolic graduation of sorts from last gen when it wasn't quite possible to build a massive realistic city on the blueprints of existing ones. What I saw from the trailer is that it was the game Rockstar always wanted to make but were unable to due to last-generation limitations.

And how about that sign advertising tickets to Vice City for $300. :erm:

I don't understand this... why would you want to create a real city when you can create something better, enhanced or totally different than reality thanks to the technology ?

And how about that sign advertising tickets to Vice City for $300. :erm:

Nothing special, just a reference to something else in the GTAverse, they did the same in the previous 3 games.

Sigh

Said City Councilman Peter Vallone, who chairs the Council’s Public Safety Committee:

Setting Grand Theft Auto in the safest big city in America would be like setting Halo in Disneyland.

A spokesman for NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg added:

The mayor does not support any video game where you earn points for injuring or killing police officers.

I wonder when Halo in Disneyland will be released

Heh, I'm sure the Mayor is pleased that GTA doesn't award points for killing or injuring police officers. In fact doing so is likely to land you in Hospital. Just like messing with the real NYPD! :D

I don't understand this... why would you want to create a real city when you can create something better, enhanced or totally different than reality thanks to the technology ?

I don't know. I didn't get excited about the originality (since it's pretty derivative of NYC anyway) but about the idea of a real-life city the size of NYC being a complete, believable in-game world for the first time ever..

I don't know; but isn't New York constructed by the terribly boring way of straight streets versus straight avenues? I'd rather take an imaginary city that has all sorts of interesting lanes and curves and hills and whatnots, with molasses creeping up the sidewalks, tumbleweed blowing through alleys and... many more fantastic things!

I don't know. I didn't get excited about the originality (since it's pretty derivative of NYC anyway) but about the idea of a real-life city the size of NYC being a complete, believable in-game world for the first time ever..

Well, there was Spiderman 2. And the upcoming Spiderman 3. Oh, and Ultimate Spiderman.

There were also two True Crime games and these were often no fun as fas as the city structure is concerned (can you say that a city structure is 'concerned' with anything in English?). In GTA, every street is designed to be as much fun as it can be. I doubt real-life architects had the same goal ;)

Agreed. Trying to replicate reality in that way would probably be an awful idea. Real life isn't designed by playground makers or game designers.

There were also two True Crime games and these were often no fun as fas as the city structure is concerned (can you say that a city structure is 'concerned' with anything in English?). In GTA, every street is designed to be as much fun as it can be. I doubt real-life architects had the same goal ;)

I agree that something that is manufactured to be fun and interesting is superior to the real thing, but there's also the fear that it'll just be landmark after landmark. I think what people are hoping for isn't total realism, just a step away from a too stylized city layout, which would go along well with the more realistic graphics.

And yes, I think you can say that about city structures. It isn't the actual city that is concerned, just your interpretation of it.

Haha. True.

Well, there's always this.

Hell, this was in San Andreas, wasn't it ?

Yes it was, I was going to mention that but was apparently beaten to it. It was also in Midtown Madness 2. My friends and I used to take turns grabbing a ridiculously fast car and seeing how many blocks we could jump by flying off the top of that hill.