BooJaka

Is Majora's Mask actually as good as Ocarina?

Following the Zelda storyline, Tingle is a short fat 30 year old who lives with his father and desperately wants to be a fairy. As a result, he ties helium balloons to his waist so he can fly and draws a bunch of maps to sell to link. At least, that's what he is in Majora anyway. By Wind Waker, he was still around, making me wonder how the hell he could live so long. He also seemed to actually gain fairy powers, as someone with a GBA could control him and act like a helper by chucking bombs at enemies and such. Tingle: legitimate fairy or crazy fat guy? You decide.

Whoa. I have only played Link to the Past and Twilight Princess. I think Tingle would stick out in those games like something that sticks out big time.

Does Tingle fit better in the Zelda games it has appeared in? Or is he just weird?

I always thought Tingle was supposed to be a parody of the Nintendo otaku (a thirty year old grown man constantly obsessing with something), which is why Japanese gamers seem to find him hilarious - they understand what he's supposed to be. Most Western gamers seem to hate him - either because they don't understand that he's supposed to be a parody, or they DO understand that he's supposed to be a parody, they've just realised that they are, in fact, thirty, and they don't like what they see.

Also, in an unrelated side note, I still find it riotously funny that Tingle had been in more games in the space of two years of his first appearance than Kid Icarus had seen in his entire lifetime. Some Nintendo fans still insist that Kid Icarus is a brilliant game (hint: it isn't).

I think you're being a little easy with that one, Ben. Either recognizing or relating to Tingle doesn't necessarily predict your esteem of him. I can imagine someone simply not liking his visual design (which is, pray admit, somewhat disturbing), or the function he performs in the games. And it goes two ways: you can like Tingle just because he's such an outrageous character, with his sociological role of no consequence.

I just want to say for the record, after playing Twilight Princess I hate controlling Link with just buttons. It's so unnatural.

Yeah, Twilight Princess controls beautifully. Wasn't it the first Zelda where you could swing your sword while running?

Kooloo-limpah!

Getting back on subject, yes. Majoras Mask was just tough enough to be perfect for me, and I think most people are getting tired of the exact same play mechanics/atmosphere in almost every Zelda game ever. Majoras Mask was just different enough to still be Zelda, but also extreme to the max.

Ok so I looked up some stuff in guides and that about how to get certain masks to make things easier and, now that they've kind of taken the edge off and I'm approaching the second dungeon, I love it! It's like everything I loved about Ocarina is incorporated in this game with a whole load of awesomeness piled on top.

It's lovely

Just wait till the horrible point where the game flips from Challenging to Infuriatingly Impossible. God I hate that point :)

oh -that doesn't subtract from the game's awesomeness by the way. Just the extent to which you can finish it.