Tanukitsune

Could it be? Nights on Wii? GLEE!

It would be amazing if Nights were to return with a new game.

But even more than Nights 2, I'm hoping that the Saturn games catalogue will be added to Virtual Console at some point, I know the games are a little large sized, but those can be managed, I'm sure of that.

It would be amazing if Nights were to return with a new game.

But even more than Nights 2, I'm hoping that the Saturn games catalogue will be added to Virtual Console at some point, I know the games are a little large sized, but those can be managed, I'm sure of that.

The only way for us to get Saturn games on the the Wii is if it gets an external hard drive...:erm:

The Virtual Console would show it's true purpose if the Saturn games are there.

There was rumour just a few days ago that Nintendo of Japan had talks about manufacturing a hard drive add-on for Wii, but the rumour was quickly denied by Nintendo.

Actually, there's a bigger problem with having Saturn games on the Wii ... it's a bloody difficult system to emulate! The Saturn's architecture is very complex, so it's a task just emulating the system, nevermind getting to work at a decent speed on the Wii!

SiN

Oh c'mon. Those Nintendo people are wizards! WIZARDS I tell you! I never had a chance to play the original Nights, so it would be fantastic if they'd give me a shot at the thing. That and Panzer Dragoon, which I have played in its emulated format on Xbox, but would still be greatly appreciated.

With both MegaDrive and N64 games on the VC, I'm sure Saturn games must have at least crossed their collective minds. Are the games really that big that they'd warrant an external hard drive though?

With both MegaDrive and N64 games on the VC, I'm sure Saturn games must have at least crossed their collective minds. Are the games really that big that they'd warrant an external hard drive though?

The Saturn used CD-ROMs, whereas, according to the ever-accurate Wikipedia, the N64 cartridges ranged from 4MB to 64MB. Of course, that doesn't tell us how much space typical Saturn games actually used.

I went to Wikipedia to try and find out just how much the CD-Roms held(as you no doubt also did) but to no avail. I did however, see this interesting little point:

"As price drops continued throughout the 32-bit era, the system board design of the Saturn was not as easy to condense in a cost-saving manner, and Sega fell behind after price drops offered by Nintendo and Sony. This forced Sega to "bundle" more software with the system in an attempt to make the more expensive Saturn compete with its rivals. Although the quality of the bundled software was high, gamers preferred to purchase a cheaper system from the competition and purchase game titles of their own choice instead."

Remind you of anyone...?

Oh, and the Dreamcast GD-Roms held 1.2GB so... under that I guess

I bet the size was max 650mb.

And propably a lot lower than that with most Saturn games.

Looking on a rom website, Nights into Dreams is 65megs.

I was about to suggest looking at a ROM website. Not that I know how to find one or anything. ROMs are bad, kids.

So, anyway...what the hell is Nights?

I looked it up in Wikipedia, but still don't quite get it. You fly around?

the story's about two kids that meet each other in dreamworld, where they can transform into Nights and destroy some kind of nightmare-lord...

simply put, you control Nights in fake 3d (environments are 3d, you move in 2d... but kids move in 3d but you don't play them much). There were something like 8 levels but the main thing here is doing high scores...

best sonic team game ever...this game had magic in it :finger:

edit: not to mention that A-life thing...

Nintendo don't need a HDD extension. Flash memory is getting cheaper and cheaper. Just store Saturn games through the SD slot.

If a game would take an entire CD, you couldn't store very many of them on any SD card. I still find it unlikely the Wii would have enough processing power to run Saturn games.

Well, seeing as it actually plays N64 games it's not that much of a leap.

Whether or not Nintendo gets out the Saturn on Wii, they should make it possible to access channels and play games stored on SD. It's a damn shame this wasn't in even at the time of release.

My Wii, for one, is filling up. Quickly. And transfer times to and from SD cards are horrific.

Nintendo, y'hear?

I would love to play Shining Force 3, Burning Rangers and Guardian Heroes on Wii Virtual Console, those are the three biggest Saturn games that I have never played.

Oh and if they could get the Shining Force 3 add on discs that continue the story, that would be more than awesome. Those discs were only released in Japan...

Some people on other boards seem to think it's an april fool's joke but I can tell you that it's not. That's the new NiGHTS.

Now that's cool, I wonder if they are going to use a similar kind of engine for this one.

At least it would be really different from the other games, just like the first Nights was.

If a game would take an entire CD, you couldn't store very many of them on any SD card. I still find it unlikely the Wii would have enough processing power to run Saturn games.

Just because a game is on CD doesn't mean that it's using all 640MB+ of it. Plus, compression technology is considerably better now than it was in the mid 90s. For example, Ikaruga -- a more modern game -- is about 145MB total.

sure the compression techniques have advanced but it still has to fit in the same limited space unpacked.

sure the compression techniques have advanced but it still has to fit in the same limited space unpacked.

I think nOwak meant video and music compression, not memory compression?:erm:

But that's not emulation, that practically remaking the game, at least partially..