Thrik

Not seen Terminator vs Robocop? Get the fuck in here

I've not seen this before so there's a fair chance others haven't either. Clearly this must be remedied as these two videos (with a third on the way) are superb. I apologise for the lack of substance to this post but these videos demand it. :tup: :tup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ltDTU1R8A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_sSsJBFvR0

It's even better if you're like me and haven't seen the movies in ages, and consequently find the blurred lines between the films hard to spot. :yep:

Yeah, I definitely need to get those bastards watched again. Certain parts of that really hit the spot in reminding me how awesome they were (eg: Arnie walking out the door in slow motion with the shotgun before some major slaughtering).

I really like these as they kind of blend my nostalgic memories together, giving me a quick dose of both classics in two bite-size portions.

Speaking of Terminator, I've just realised that I can hardly remember anything at all about the third film. Was it really that amazingly unmemorable or was I just a bit sleepy at the time? ;(

I recently saw it, and was nicely amused. Not on the same par as 2 of course, but not throwaway at all.

I've never seen predator though. So I'm always a bit meh when he shows up.

Speaking of Terminator, I've just realised that I can hardly remember anything at all about the third film. Was it really that amazingly unmemorable or was I just a bit sleepy at the time? ;(

It was just really, really bad. I wish that I could just forget that such a movie was ever made.

Like it or not (I rather liked it), the fire truck chase in T3 was refreshingly not based on computer effects.

Hehe those were fun, I look forward to the next one.

I also enjoyed Terminator 3. It was more of a pastiche on the first two movies than good in its own right, but that didn't bother me. Was cool to see the T1s etc (not to mention the Colonel Candy deleted scene - that really should have made it into the movie).

Predator is a good movie (ignore the sequals though). Watch it, it has aged well. I didn't recognise the clips they used here though, were they from AvP?

T1/2: "No fate but what we make."

T3: "Psych! The future is set! You can't change anything! Too bad!"

Very clever piece of editing, just a shame about the visual continuity errors; damage on RoboCop, a wall mysteriously appearing behind RoboCop when he's just walked down the middle of a corridor. Very minor quibbles though--it's a great piece of work. I might watch the second later part.

However, I did have two major gripes with it:

1. Why is the Predator made out to be some turn-tail, smart-bombing pussy?
    Why is he/it even involved at all? The setting was superb without him/it, therefore his/its inclusion was completely unnecessary and done just to score extra "cool points".
  2. Why did we end up with loads of RoboCops at the end!? That doesn't make any sense at all; RC already kicked the shit out of one Terminator, so why couldn't he handle a few more and have all out armageddon between humans and machines? It's not like humans haven't ever defeated a Terminator in any of the films...
    Moreover, it just ends up being man-made machines fighting more man-made machines--where's the human aspect? Why would I empathise with a bunch of tin cans being banged together?

All said it still realises some great potential for a cross-over like this coming to film. In the meantime, I think I'll stick to playing the classic MegaDrive interpretation.

T1/2: "No fate but what we make."

T3: "Psych! The future is set! You can't change anything! Too bad!"

How exactly did they change their fate (i.e. prevent Terminators being built) in Terminator 1?

they didn't, they only brought the schedule forward with the arm.

T1 has the warning that something is coming, in T2 they clear up the mess they caused in T1 and in T3 things get back on track and John Connor fucks everything up by not listening to his mum's advice...

Yes. I think we can safely say that the overall point of the movies is that YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER.

However, I did have two major gripes with it:

[...]

And maybe a third one, why did Robocop win? The Terminator is much cooler.

hahah, yes exactly.

ok so I might have meandered to irrelevancy toward the end.

I mainly wanted to point out that T1 suggests change MIGHT be possible, T2 shows it is, and T3 doesn't expressly show that it isn't, just that John fucked it up.

Still, awesome gunfight while the Terminator is holding a coffin.

And Arnie's DVD commentary is the best ever. It beats spinal tap. Honestly.

Never saw T3. What's the word? Should I bother or not? And Rodi, Predator is awesome (the first one, with Arnie and Jesse Ventura) and you should really give it a look first chance you get.

for completeness you might want to watch it, but it's not where close to T1 or T2... it's just a normal action movie (the crane scene is awesome though)

Nick Stahl also manages to make John Conner more spineless and wormlike than even Edward Furlong did; I wanted to slap the whiney little bitch by about 30mins through. Much teeth grinding on my part, but it's still very watchable.

The gaffs and in-jokes are fun, too. And Arnie's self-deprecation is delivered with almost genius-like subtlety. :yep:

Those comic books were pretty good, actually.

Pretty Frank Miller too, for better or worse ;)

How exactly did they change their fate (i.e. prevent Terminators being built) in Terminator 1?

they didn't, they only brought the schedule forward with the arm.

T1 has the warning that something is coming, in T2 they clear up the mess they caused in T1 and in T3 things get back on track and John Connor fucks everything up by not listening to his mum's advice...

I agree with you. Actually, this ending made Terminator 3 matter as an honest-to-God third act and had really shown the previous installments in a different light.

Nick Stahl also manages to make John Conner more spineless and wormlike than even Edward Furlong did; I wanted to slap the whiney little bitch by about 30mins through.

Brace yourself for that, then:

4832hea.jpg

John Connor of the upcoming Terminator TV series, "Sarah Connor Chronicles". I kid you not (assuming it gets past the pilot ;) ).

Isn't that the 'gay friend of miss cheerleader' kid from Heroes?

Yup, except he's not gay anymore since his agent "“didn’t want him to be playing a gay character for career reasons". From http://comicbookresources.com:

Writers and producers did acknowledge that they’d originally conceived of the Zach character as gay, and that the ambiguity is a result of an “unfortunate miscommunication.”

John Connor of the upcoming Terminator TV series, "Sarah Connor Chronicles". I kid you not (assuming it gets past the pilot ;) ).

Hmm.. it's between T2 and T3 ... I think the period between T1 and T2 is much more interesting. Because in that point everything is new for John and there's still a major thread. After T2 things should have actually been stopped.

In the absence of the previously-scheduled Judgment Day, John Connor has gone from messiah to burn-out, and is wandering aimlessly around Southern California, living "off the grid," with no permanent home or credit cards so he can't be tracked.

They are also planning a T4. If they do I seriously hope it's set in the period after Skynet took over.

Hmm.. it's between T2 and T3 ... I think the period between T1 and T2 is much more interesting. Because in that point everything is new for John and there's still a major thread. After T2 things should have actually been stopped.

That wouldn't work.... it would be so new to john he couldn't even be involved. Nothing should have been stopped after T2 except the error caused by T1.

Terminators can't be the cause of terminators being designed, it's a paradox, T3 does a good job of unparadoxing the whole thing.

Problem I see with the series is that it can't have any terminators in it for it to fit in the continuity of the films. Also they clearly didn't succeed in doing anything except stockpiling guns between the 2 films, so I'll be interested to see what the plot is.