Sign in to follow this  
Rado

Another World - Comic Book!

Eric asked me not to go into detail so I won't. But all the pretty pictures deserve to be shown.

First, there were a few story outlines, one of which I hoped to be final, half a script and a fancy proposal letter. Then...

A terribly scanned (my fault) first page by an old-school artist Darek Rygiel:

2uxzoye.jpg

After that, we found an interested publisher and went straight to Eric. Suprisingly, he wanted to be involved as a consultant... and decided this is a wrong approach.

Back to the drawing board.

Few weeks later... A totally new story outline and new pages.

First one, a sample by Wieslaw Skupniewicz:

47ucjde.jpg

The same page as drawn by Bartek Rozycki:

2rfvkw9.jpg

And the second page by the same artist:

2m31e3b.jpg

Eric likes what he sees, but has bad news - due to his work on a new game, he won't be able to commit any more time to the comic. Heartbreaking, but understandable. One more e-mail, a 'go ahead' from Eric to show what was done so far and here we are. Enjoy. Discuss.

I actually liked the first page most. I guess he wants to preserve the art style of the game, though.

It's not on hold, Chahi just won't be able to advise them anymore, that's all.

Yeah, thanks for fixing my spelling when quoting me. So subtle :P

It's not on hold, Chahi just won't be able to advise them anymore, that's all.

Unfortunately, it is. Eric is very protective of the IP (and after Heart of the Alien, who can blame him) and without his involvement the deal is off. Officially, it's dead and buried, but I'm hoping that once Eric is done with his new game (and I reach a higher profile), the project can be revived.

Now, brkl, the first page is not only a different art style, but also a different story. My goal was to adapt the game's plot into a high budget blockbuster on paper with fleshed out characters and deeper description of the world. It was a story of redemption actually, with Lester starting out as a bit of an ass-hole and only changing through his relationship with the alien... and Adeline, a brand new character.

Eric decided though, that the sketchiness of the original game is actually an element that has to be preserved. No dialogue, less detail and giving way to reader's imagination was the way to go. So, while the first version was the same story told differently, the second approach, conceived after much nail-bitting and doubts, was to tell a DIFFERENT story, but in the same way [it was told in the game]. Hence the new main character and more expressive style.

Eric decided though, that the sketchiness of the original game is actually an element that has to be preserved.

I have to agree that this was a large part of what made the game great for me. However I do really like the idea of the comics, they look pretty sweet. I'd be worried though in case it wasn't good for some reason, like Star Wars 1-3.

I hope you guys get back on this comic book project when Mr. Chahi gets his new project done and that new project is a whole another story most likely.

I can't wait to hear more about both of them someday.

anyone not bought the 15th anniversary edition of AW yet?

http://play.com/Games/PC/4-/3298254/Another_World_15th_Anniversary_Edition/Product.html

It's fantastic, Mr. "I'm in the credits"! First, it just looks great, like a 2-disc special edition of a major motion picture. There's a soundtrack CD (that's basically a Sega CD version of Another World but without the game, just the audio ;) ), a nice little documentary with Eric and Jean-Francois, an all new color painting by Chahi himself, plus, what gets me hot most, a booklet full of sketches, unused backgrounds and storyboards for cutscenes that never were. Had the comic gone ahead, some of these deleted scenes would have been incorporated. Great stuff all around, well worth the price.