ThunderPeel2001

Save us John Connor!

Whatever you do, don't read the wikipedia entry on that book. The spoiler warnings were unobtrusive enough that I skated past them, and now know the end.

vadergz0.jpg-NOOOOO0000000000000000000000000000000....!

I hate that! :( And now I feel bad that you won't get that huge kick out of the ending when/if you read the book either.

Heed the warning, people.

Hahah, that Darth Vader thing is superb -- I am so stealing that one day.

Also why do we have no quick reply? :fart:

now I feel bad that you won't get that huge kick out of the ending when/if you read the book

Please don't. It was my own bloody fault ;)

I too, will totally steal that Darth Vader thing.

More like "let's petition for it to be added to the smiley list"!

It's been a while since we added anything to it.

Since this is Idle Banter I feel compelled to add that while I enjoy zombie fiction immensely (even wrote some myself, but - of course - since then everybody did), I'm scared shitless of the undead as a real life concept. Most people ignore the idea of zombies (flesheaters, not those voodoo controlled pussies) ever actually appearing - it's like expecting pokemons to start roaming the earth - but I dream of zombie apocalypse every other week and really fear that those shambling fuckers may one day knock on my door... with somebody else's hand.

What's worse, a friend of mine who's into witchcraft suggests that I have a precognitive potential. 2012 can't come LATE enough ;)

Funny you should mention it, I have to be really careful when I drink whiskey, especially the bourbon Jim Beam. For some reason that particular brand sparks acid flash backs. It is probably psychosomatic, but I really can't control it.

The flashbacks aren't really an issue, most of the time, but the problem arises when I regress to the time I was convinced I was in the film 28 days later.

A couple of Christmas's back I drank almost an entire bottle of Jameson's and then I locked myself in my apartment bedroom and stayed awake for 10 hours utterly convinced that Montreal was overrun with undead. I was extremely freaked out (you might have had to be there), and eventually passed out. The next day I was very embarassed.

Omega Man is genius, it was back when Charlton Heston used to be in great dystopian future films. Now he just tries to bring one about by ecouraging the NRA.

Omega Man is great. It works as a movie and Charlton Heston is great. On the other hand, it's a silly movie and Charlton Heston is extremely amusing.

My copy of 'I am Legend' arrived today (just one day after the order was made - nearly disturbing). The involved viral marketers can give themselves a pad on the back as this is my first book in a long time that was not written by someone who is already dead, and the very first book I will read about the, uh, undead.

I finally read the book and it is indeed really great. Afterwards I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie. Okay, now I shouldn't be surprised, but, man, did they change everything but the name of the character. As far as the teaser looks this is going to be as much 'I am legend' as '28 days later' was.

I thought the movie trailer looked cool, post-apocalyptically, but there's a book? I'm totally getting it.

Also, for that post-apocalyptic, 28 Days Later zombie feel, I recommend Day of the Triffids.

Not having read the book, I still hated the trailer, probably mostly because of how generic it was. I'm guessing it'll turn out mediocre at best, but on the other hand, the book will most likely be very easy to find around the release, so I'll pick it up then.

I just read World War Z by Max Brooks, whose Zombie Survival Guide was discussed earlier, and found it a pretty good experience overall. It basically details the zombie apocalypse and is written as a series of interviews and stories from key survivors. It's pretty well thought through and tries to stay as factual as possible given the nature of interviews, even fictional ones.

Sure, the trailer itself wasn't any good. However, I thought the post-apocalyptic, I don't know, matte paintings? looked good. With Will Smith in a main-stream action flick it's bound to be mediocre, but throwing money at post-apocalyptic visuals is always good.

Why is it that american cinema can't do horror other than of the teen slasher variety? Is it because running away from monsters isn't manly enough and the only appropriate course of action is to shoot them with guns?

Did I watch a different trailer than you guys, 'cause I can't remember any guns being fired.