toblix

Braid

Hmm. I got within seconds of the 45min speedrun, something ridiculous like 45:02 (:frusty:!), then got distracted by other games. Must go back. Tempted to get the stars as well.

I saw the speedrun record is something like 29 minutes, and downloaded a copy of a similar one to watch which is hanging around somewhere...

Hmm. I got within seconds of the 45min speedrun, something ridiculous like 45:02 (:frusty:!), then got distracted by other games. Must go back... tempted to get the stars as well.

The shorter speedruns let you figure out some of the bigger time savings (if that's any use?). Also, apparently it's possible to complete the game in under 30 mins, which is pretty damned impressive... but it gave me hope that I didn't have to be "perfect" in order to make it.

Just wanted to say that this is awesome. Sometimes I wish that my gaming was that hardcore.

Haha, well thanks I think, but I did cheat by going to Game FAQs, though. I needed help from the internet because I probably wouldn't have had the dedication to figure out how to save each second possibly from most screens on my own. Luckily a lot of the screens just boiled down to, "Don't fuck up and redo this a bunch."

But, even with knowing what I should do to save time on every screen, I really fucked up a lot of parts. But I'm happy just getting under 45 minutes once, I don't need to try anywhere near 30 minutes.

My girlfriend sometimes thinks I'm nuts, but doesn't really care either way. She was reading some of the books with me over my shoulder on some levels and found them to be extremely sad. The game sure does seem to say much about the supposed futility of relationships. ;(

Also I was playing the PS3 version and I think rankings and scoreboards for speedruns are supposed to show up in the menu but I kept getting an error. Anyone else had this problem?

I don't think it's necessarily saying that all relationships are futile, but it's possibly about a protagonist with a very unhealthy attitude to them. It does seems a little perverse that we push for more and more technological power when we often suck at looking after and getting on with each other on even the smallest scale, and looking back that's what I remember of the narrative bits of Braid.

I finished Braid this past weekend. The last two levels were fantastic!

The stars are only in the PC version, huh? I've only got it on PS3. How do you unlock the other books in the epilogue, then? Is it by completing the time trials, or does that only net you bragging rights?

The stars are only in the PC version, huh? I've only got it on PS3. How do you unlock the other books in the epilogue, then? Is it by completing the time trials, or does that only net you bragging rights?

Nah, I'm pretty sure they are in all versions, since I can confirm stars are definitely on the PSN version. There are 8 stars. Most of them are found just by getting to the top of certain screens by bouncing on stuff. There are two that I would have never found: one I spoiled in my earlier post and someone else already mentioned waiting on a cloud for hours. The last one you can get at the end after finding the other 7.

That one gives you an alternate ending of sorts, but it really didn't make much of a difference in my opinion, since it didn't change the resulting storyline at all.

I don't think there is a way to unlock extra books in the epilogue, but I could be completely wrong. I'm guessing you are referring to a lot of the green books which open but don't show dialogue? Sometimes the dialogue changes if you walk to different parts of the screen after opening a red one.

I have no idea what the cloud is for at the end of of the epilogue next to your castle.

Nope, the stars are in all versions. You don't get anything really as a reward for getting them (not even a trophy/achievement), and they certainly only superficially change the ending (ie. they don't really at all)... Considering the amount of time and effort required to find and get these things, I don't think it's "cheating" to get a list of the levels they appear in. (See below.) Although they don't really change anything, they're still quite gratifying to get, and it's nice to know you've completely finished the game.

There's a nice video guide on YouTube once you get stuck (some of them are so insanely anal that I don't think anyone would (should?) spend the amount of time necessary to figure them out). The last one is quite gratifying to figure out, though.

Here's the levels they appear in (you can collect them in any order, except for the last one).

World map - ie. the "house" that you start the game in. Note: If you've already completed the game you cannot get this star - you MUST start a new game (remember what I was saying about it being anal? :))

2-2

4-5

4-7

5-4

6-5

6-6

1-1 - You can only get this star once you have the others.

As for the time trials, they do nothing except force you to solve the puzzles you've already solved in different, more efficient, ways. So it's really a way of adding more puzzles to the game, which is cool. They don't do anything else, though.

I have no idea what the cloud is for at the end of of the epilogue next to your castle.

Nor does anyone else. Probably symbolic, but who knows.

I read that as showing Tim's mind at peace, not that that is likely to be anywhere near the intended interpretation.

Bought a few games over Christmas, and just completed this one an hour ago. Overall a great experience, I thought the story was pretentious but the gameplay,graphics and music were phenomenal.

Bought a few games over Christmas, and just completed this one an hour ago. Overall a great experience, I thought the story was pretentious but the gameplay,graphics and music were phenomenal.

It's nice to see a new wave of people enjoying this awesome game.

It's nice to see a new wave of people enjoying this awesome game.

The deals in the past week have just been too good to pass up. Bought Plants vs Zombies, Braid,Trine, Machinarium and Torchlight.

The deals in the past week have just been too good to pass up. Bought Plants vs Zombies, Braid,Trine, Machinarium and Torchlight.

There were deals on PvZ and Machinarium?

Not a specific (ie: one-day) one, but it was $7.50 or something instead of the regular $10. I picked it up and have been really enjoying it as well.

Jonathan Blow gave a rather lengthy behind the scenes talk about Braid. I found it really interesting. Warning: major Braid spoilers if you still haven't played it.

gwsi7TEQxKc

Sounds like he thought about how every little detail affects players. I wonder if many designers go that much into details and just don't talk about that.

Yeah, forgot to comment on this the other day. Watched the whole thing. Very interesting. I always like to hear developers go in-depth on their games.