Sign in to follow this  
Ginger

360 games seem very plain to me.

I was looking at the games available for the 360 and it just struck me as being exactly the same as the PS2 western games without any of the Japanese ingenuity (which were the best PS2 games imo). If I'm going to play a 3rd or 1st person shooter I want to do it on my PC, racing games are a bit meh and there doesn't seem to be much else (Viva piñata looks good but is not my bag baby). Yet loads of people I know are planning to get one, I just can't see the reason in doing so, I've probably been unfair and jumped to conclusions but it seems a very plain software line up to me.

Well i thought about getting one and did the same... there is nothing worth playing yet. Well a few small bits and bobs like dead rising.... but that doesnt look like the fun wil lrelaly last that long. Oblivion.... meh.

Not only that, but Castle Crashers isn't out.. grr. :(

Well i thought about getting one and did the same... there is nothing worth playing yet. Well a few small bits and bobs like dead rising.... but that doesnt look like the fun wil lrelaly last that long. Oblivion.... meh.

If you're into multiplayer gaming, on- or offline, (and you simply must play a bang-up-to-date console) that's probably your best reason to get an Xbox 360. Otherwise I agree; there's nothing truly unique for the machine just yet. And no, Halo 3 does not count either in my opinion (over-hyped bullshit).

I think the most interesting rumour I've heard about potential must-try Xbox 360 games experiences would be Capcom possibly rolling out a co-op mode for Dead Rising. Now, that would be special...

Not only that, but Castle Crashers isn't out.. grr. :(

Still?! FFS.

If you're into multiplayer gaming, on- or offline, (and you simply must play a bang-up-to-date console) that's probably your best reason to get an Xbox 360..

I see the PC as the online multiplayer machine. Do most of the 3rd person/1st person games have co-op modes? As I feel co-op is the only thing neglected in PC multiplayer. I agree if u want to have a deathmatch with friends console is a convenient method, but I'd much prefer to go to the effort of having a LAN and doing it properly than using a controller to aim.

Co-op is definitely the 360's strong point. If you want competetive multiplay, that's available everywhere. Gears, Perfect Dark, and Crackdown all manage to incorporate co-op as well though, which makes them worth it IMO. Granted, the only co-op I've invested a decent amount of time in is Gears, but the mere fact that they're there brings me great joy. I love the current trend on Xbox that most of the big-name games are finding ways to throw a co-op mode into the mix. If it does indeed come to Dead Rising I'll be ecstatic.

I'm with you on Halo, 'vania, although I'll probably end up getting it (after I get around to getting and playing Halo 2) simply for the co-op. Halo was dull. Halo co-op was amazingly fun, and I think the ability to drop in on a friend in an online game would be fantastic.

Live Arcade is a lot of fun though. Castle Crashers may not be out yet, but Alien Hominid hit last week and Worms hits tomorrow. Space Giraffe is on the way. When you want to throw down with a buddy next to you on the couch, SF2 and MK3 are both right there. And the current delicious, delicious rumour is that Mizuguchi is going to announce at GDC that Rez is coming to Live soon. Word is he's announcing a game, and that's the one people seem to be anticipating. If this is true, I may weep with joy. HD Rez would be a stunning, stunning achievement.

So yeah, it all depends on what your bag is. I'm not really much for the western-ish games myself, but still find that the 360 has been by far my most played system for a while now. Some of the bigger games do have a bit of a generic feel, but they're executed extremely well for the most part, making them quite fun. I've always been a fan of the DoA fighting games, so DoA 4 is a draw for me as well.

I'll just finish off with this:

I love quirky Japanese games. I'm not a fan of Halo. I don't have any more than a passing interest in racing games. I am still incredibly satisfied with my 360 at the moment. It's a decent little system. When someone you know who's planning to does get one, give it a shot and see what you think.

EDIT: Dammit, not Rez. Every Extend Extra. A very fun little game, and the PSP version has eaten up much of my time, but it's just not Rez. Still, this does make LA a stronger service. (though not as strong as Rez would have) Also, Ikaruga is coming. Forgot to mention that earlier.

The 360 doesn't sound like it is for you.

With all your arguments in place, I can't think of one reason for you to get one. Stick with your PC and upgrade when necessary. I'm assuming you already have a PS2, you are sorted.

I'm a console player simply because I can't stand compatibility issues between hardware and software.

I don't have any more than a passing interest in racing games.

Ah, well, that's one thing I really liked about the 360; the choice of racing games is getting better and better all the time.

Back when I had access to a 360 on a regular basis, I played MotoGP '06 for about an hour pretty much every working day, and absolutely loved it. I often played two-player split screen races against a colleague too, and that was a lot of fun on a decent size screen.

The other obvious racing titles out there (PGR 3, Test Drive, etc.) all sound great too, and - crucially - quite different in contrast to each other. And when Forza Motorsports 2 turns up later this year, I really think the 360 is going to be very difficult to beat in terms of racing titles.

Word is [Mizuguchi]'s announcing a game, and that's the one people seem to be anticipating. If this is true, I may weep with joy. HD Rez would be a stunning, stunning achievement.

Well, I'm more than a little disappointed that it's not Rez; it's turned out to be Every Extend Extra Extreme* for XBLA, which isn't so bad in and of itself, but it's certainly no Rez.

* Want to shoe-horn any more E's in there?! At least drop the Extra FFS.

I've played Moto GP 06 a few times at a friend's. Seemed like a damned good game if you're into the genre, but not really my thing. PGR3 though, I was really hooked on for a while there. Came bundled with my system, so why the hell not give it a spin, right? Then came the month-ish of solid addiction. I don't like racing games in general, but when one digs its hooks into me, I'm lost in it until I've cleared each and every event, usually not settling for any less than gold. The same thing happened with Burnout 3 back in the day, and was happening with Burnout 4 until Crackdown came along and pulled me back to my usual fare. This is what I described as my passing interest. I'm never all that interested in any particular racing game, but about once a year I go into a racing coma, play a game to death, and then ignore the genre for the other 11 months.

And yeah, as I said in my edit, while EEE is great and I'm sure EEEE will be of similar quality, that was a merely good announcement that had the potential to be earth-shattering. Well, earth-shattering to me, at any rate.

The most positive thing with EEEE is that it proves that Q's cooperation with MGS wasn't a one-off and we'll probably see a few other of their games pop up on Live. Maybe they had a contract for several games from the start but I don't remember that, so I'm taking this as good news.